First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Kind of confused and just wanting to confirm that what i have circled is the turbo for the 1.5?

Honda Civic 10th gen Confirming that this is the turbo... Engine.JPG
Sponsored

OP
OP
LMFK7

LMFK7

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Charley-TX

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
You circled the intake side of the turbo also called compressor housing, inside is the compressor wheel. It takes ambient (filtered) air and pumps it to the intake side of the engine- there is piping and an intercooler btw the turbo and the engine air intake.
The compressor wheel is connected to the turbine wheel via a shaft. The turbine wheel is driven by the exhaust gas and it is housed in the turbine housing, which in your picture is under the heat shield.
The exhaust side (the turbine + housing ) is bolted to the muffler looking thing in your picture - that is the CAT/ Catalytic converter.

P.S.-edit: ... in the picture that you circled, you see two pipes/tubes that go to the center of the turbo (houses the turbo shaft bearing), many think those pipes are for oil, but those pipes bring engine coolant to the turbo.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LMFK7

LMFK7

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You circled the intake side of the turbo also called compressor housing, inside is the compressor wheel. It takes ambient (filtered) air and pumps it to the intake side of the engine- there is piping and an intercooler btw the turbo and the engine air intake.
The compressor wheel is connected to the turbine wheel via a shaft. The turbine wheel is driven by the exhaust gas and it is housed in the turbine housing, which in your picture is under the heat shield.
The exhaust side (the turbine + housing ) is bolted to the muffler looking thing in your picture - that is the CAT/ Catalytic converter.

P.S.-edit: ... in the picture that you circled, you see two pipes/tubes that go to the center of the turbo (houses the turbo shaft bearing), many think those pipes are for oil, but those pipes bring engine coolant to the turbo.
So our turbo is cooled with coolant and not oil? Is this the reason why i don't see anything in the owners manual to cool down the engine after a drive? Or is it still advisable to idle the car for a bit before shutting down.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So our turbo is cooled with coolant and not oil? Is this the reason why i don't see anything in the owners manual to cool down the engine after a drive? Or is it still advisable to idle the car for a bit before shutting down.
That's correct. Coolant continues to circulate through a thermal driving head/heat syphon effect. This is pretty widely adopted now-a-days, though I can't speak for all car manufacturers. I know Nissan adopted it on their 300zxs in 1985.

Charley-TX

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
oil and coolant, both cools it.
If you are just slowing down after drag racing someone, you may want to idle for a minute,
otherwise you don't need to.

OP
OP
LMFK7

LMFK7

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Drag racing? oh no no no. I'm a granny shifting, not double clutching kind of guy. :doh:

Charley-TX

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Drag racing? oh no no no. I'm a granny shifting, not double clutching kind of guy. :doh:
Well then...just shut it off when you reach your destination. No need to waste gasoline to idle it.

Ron21

First Name
Rom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but
Where does the turbo gets air? I mean it looks like the turbo is fully covered by heat shield and/or other parts.

it makes me wonder where? Where does it sucks air for boost? Why? How?

waterudoing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI HFP, 3V Mustang, G37xS
Country flag
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but
Where does the turbo gets air? I mean it looks like the turbo is fully covered by heat shield and/or other parts.

it makes me wonder where? Where does it sucks air for boost? Why? How?
Here's my attempt 😅😅. I may have cut into the hot side of the turbo

Honda Civic 10th gen Confirming that this is the turbo... Img_2022_08_13_16_06_48~2

Ron21

First Name
Rom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
If thats true then im glad! Lol because i install a turbo blanket today and im worried i might block the airway.

thank you!

geeeek

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
oil and coolant, both cools it.
If you are just slowing down after drag racing someone, you may want to idle for a minute,
otherwise you don't need to.
Wow, learned something new today 🤯
Sponsored