[CONFIRMED] Working wireless carplay adapter w/ Stock headunit. No Root Needed

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
i curious as to how it sounds, in any car ive ever owned the BT has less lows (sub frequencies) and high highs than a device directly connected over USB. Anyone ever noticed this?
I don’t think these use BT. I believe a WiFi connection is made to the adapter.
Sponsored

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I don’t think these use BT. I believe a WiFi connection is made to the adapter.
Just watched the video on Amazon of the pairing process, it seems to be BT as per the BT pairing that went on-unless there are additional steps....
Apple's implementation of iAP over BT is a bear to develop I've heard.
I doubt this device is Apple tested and approved. Might be but probably not.
Probably has an Apple key IC in the product. Looks to be direct from China looking at the English they're using.

Thanks anyway!

Last edited:

ShuJam

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've been using it for about a month, bought the exact same unit as the OP.

The sound quality is exactly the same as wired CarPlay, as it uses wifi to pass the sound. Bluetooth is only needed for the initial handshake/connection.

The lag I only find is with playing music - pressing play/pause/skip. I discovered that the lag is by design. Going into the unit's settings there is a delay setting. It was default set to 1000. Not sure what unit it's in, maybe milliseconds. The lowest setting allowed is 300, which I set to that. The music started almost instantaneously when I hit play, but was extremely choppy. So the delay, or lag, I think is likely to buffer the music for a more smoother playback stream. Switching between running apps and going in and out of the home screen takes the same amount of time as when wired. Firmware is also updatable.

There are some weird interface quirks, like squares around some of the buttons that weren't there before.

The connection has been fairly reliable. I've had it disconnect a few times, but it was the unit losing its connection with the headunit, not my iPhone losing connection. Easily rectified by unplugging and replugging the unit into the USB port. Much easier recovery than when I would lose the connection when wired, which happened once in a blue moon, which sometimes required me to reboot either my iPhone or the headunit to re-establish connection.

Overall, I'm quite satisfied with it. I have the OE wireless charger as well (Canadian Touring/Si/Type R models come with it standard from the factory), so I can wireless CarPlay and wireless charge at the same time, although the charging isn't nearly as fast as plugging it in.

It's not obvious in the product information on Amazon, but there is an additional USB-A port on the unit to allow you to plug your iPhone into the unit with a USB-A to lightning cable to revert back to wired CarPlay and charge your iPhone faster without having to disconnect the whole unit, which is very small (smaller than the photos look) and lightweight.

Last edited:

the_civic

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

The sound quality is exactly the same as wired CarPlay, as it uses wifi to pass the sound. Bluetooth is only needed for the initial handshake/connection.

The lag I only find is with playing music - pressing play/pause/skip. I discovered that the lag is by design. Going into the unit's settings there is a delay setting. It was default set to 1000. Not sure what unit it's in, maybe milliseconds. The lowest setting allowed is 300, which I set to that. The music started almost instantaneously when I hit play, but was extremely choppy. So the delay, or lag, I think is likely to buffer the music for a more smoother playback stream. From what I've read about even the headunits with built-in wireless CarPlay from the factory, they have a lag as well. Switching between running apps and going in and out of the home screen takes the same amount of time as when wired. Firmware is also updatable.

There are some weird interface quirks, like squares around some of the buttons that weren't there before.

The connection has been fairly reliable. I've had it disconnect a few times, but it was the unit losing it's connection with the headunit, not my iPhone losing connection. Easily rectified by unplugging and replugging the unit into the USB port. Much easier recovery than when I would lose the connection when wired, which happened once in a blue moon, which sometimes required me to reboot either my iPhone or the headunit to re-establish connection.

Overall, I'm quite satisfied with it. I have the OE wireless charger as well (Canadian Touring/Si/Type R models come with it standard from the factory), so I can wireless CarPlay and wireless charge at the same time, although the charging isn't nearly as fast as plugging it in.

It's not obvious in the product information on Amazon, but there is an additional USB-A port on the unit to allow you to plug your iPhone into the unit with a USB-A to lightning cable to revert back to wired CarPlay and charge your iPhone faster withotu having to disconnect the whole unit, which is very small (smaller than the photos look) and lightweight.
Thanks so much for the detailed review! :thumbsup:

Mine was supposed to be delivered today but I got a notification from Amazon earlier saying it was being delayed and would (hopefully) be delivered tomorrow... looking forward to getting this installed!

just1ncase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX, 2000 Toyota Echo
Country flag

The lag I only find is with playing music - pressing play/pause/skip. I discovered that the lag is by design. Going into the unit's settings there is a delay setting. It was default set to 1000. Not sure what unit it's in, maybe milliseconds. The lowest setting allowed is 300, which I set to that. The music started almost instantaneously when I hit play, but was extremely choppy. So the delay, or lag, I think is likely to buffer the music for a more smoother playback stream. Switching between running apps and going in and out of the home screen takes the same amount of time as when wired. Firmware is also updatable.

The connection has been fairly reliable. I've had it disconnect a few times, but it was the unit losing its connection with the headunit, not my iPhone losing connection. Easily rectified by unplugging and replugging the unit into the USB port. Much easier recovery than when I would lose the connection when wired, which happened once in a blue moon, which sometimes required me to reboot either my iPhone or the headunit to re-establish connection.

It's not obvious in the product information on Amazon, but there is an additional USB-A port on the unit to allow you to plug your iPhone into the unit with a USB-A to lightning cable to revert back to wired CarPlay and charge your iPhone faster without having to disconnect the whole unit, which is very small (smaller than the photos look) and lightweight.
Thanks for the info! I've just picked one today and installation was a breeze in a Honda Civic 2016, but I am running into one small minor issue. Whenever I start the car, CarPlay doesn't auto-launch onto the screen. It would load me into the Honda home screen instead so I would need to tap on the "CarPlay" button and then it'll launch Carplay.

Is that by design? or am I missing a setting? I made sure the only Carplay Device available on the car is my iPhone.

When I start the car, it looks like its about to go directly into the CarPlay interface, but kicks me into the Honda Homescreen. I'm thinking it might be because it does take a few seconds for Wireless Carplay adapter to connect to my iPhone.

Let me know what you think. Any help is appreciated. :)

ShuJam

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the info! I've just picked one today and installation was a breeze in a Honda Civic 2016, but I am running into one small minor issue. Whenever I start the car, CarPlay doesn't auto-launch onto the screen. It would load me into the Honda home screen instead so I would need to tap on the "CarPlay" button and then it'll launch Carplay.

Is that by design? or am I missing a setting? I made sure the only Carplay Device available on the car is my iPhone.

When I start the car, it looks like its about to go directly into the CarPlay interface, but kicks me into the Honda Homescreen. I'm thinking it might be because it does take a few seconds for Wireless Carplay adapter to connect to my iPhone.

Let me know what you think. Any help is appreciated. :)
Yes, I think it is still loading. I'm using the alternate interface that shows the app tiles, and on the Honda homescreen, the Smartphone Connection tile changes to Apple Carplay (I can't remember if the default homescreen does too). When I tap on that tile, it goes into the Carlinkit connecting screen, and shows it is still connecting, and then the CarPlay interface shows up.

just1ncase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX, 2000 Toyota Echo
Country flag
Yes, I think it is still loading. I'm using the alternate interface that shows the app tiles, and on the Honda homescreen, the Smartphone Connection tile changes to Apple Carplay (I can't remember if the default homescreen does too). When I tap on that tile, it goes into the Carlinkit connecting screen, and shows it is still connecting, and then the CarPlay interface shows up.
Cool, I agree. I think it’s just still loading. There’s probably a few occasions that it can quickly connect to CarPlay and auto launch without me intervening it. It’s a hit or miss.

Otherwise, I still think it’s a good product. There’s a couple very minor audio glitches that I’ve experienced that are pretty tolerable so far but that’s about it.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Sounds like a great idea/implementation but as flaky as my CTR radio is with Carplay I'd be pulling my hair out. I have a dedicated iphone 6 in my glovebox that's up to date and it works great most of the time....except when the radio hangs and only a car off/on cycle at a red light fixes it. I pull the phone out of the glovebox and it's like "what:"? The phone is fine. It's that crappy Android build on the radio. Then, suddenly Carplay will change the song but not the artwork or the metadata. That only takes a soft reboot. Same behaviour with my iPHone XS did the same things to fix it. Two categories of CTR Carplay error. Soft reboot/Power on off cycle... Sigh.