[CONFIRMED] Working wireless carplay adapter w/ Stock headunit. No Root Needed

rplush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
Hey y'all

Ya'll might've seen my previous post on how I got wireless carplay with the stock headunit from the post here.

I'm back again to let you know that I've found an updated adapter that works without having to root your device and install another APK to get the wireless carplay dongle to work.

Carlinkit U2W

I've just got it today and tested it out in my '16 EX and it works!
This updated version utilizes WiFi 5GHz network for connection to your phone. There is still a lag when you skip songs and whatnot, but even pioneer and Kenwood units has the same delay. The best thing about this updated adapter is that it plugs in to the USB port near your Cig socket (normally where your wired connection is for CarPlay) and the built in carplay app in the headunit picks it up right away! NO ROOT NEEDED

You also get song titles on your dash when you switch songs and all the steering wheel controls for phone calls, etc works (unlike the older APK version)

Honda Civic 10th gen [CONFIRMED] Working wireless carplay adapter w/ Stock headunit. No Root Needed e86fc93e-640d-46b2-81e2-2598d9a242a6
Sponsored

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
That's so awesome! Does it work for Android Auto also? I imagine it should since it is just a USB/WifFi adapter.

Ocelot

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EX-T sedan, '12 LX sedan
Country flag
Hey y'all

Ya'll might've seen my previous post on how I got wireless carplay with the stock headunit from the post here.

I'm back again to let you know that I've found an updated adapter that works without having to root your device and install another APK to get the wireless carplay dongle to work.

Carlinkit U2W

This updated version utilizes WiFi 5GHz network for connection to your phone. There is still a lag when you skip songs and whatnot, but even pioneer and Kenwood units has the same delay. The best thing about this updated adapter is that it plugs in to the USB port near your Cig socket (normally where your wired connection is for CarPlay) and the built in carplay app in the headunit picks it up right away! NO ROOT NEEDED

You also get song titles on your dash when you switch songs and all the steering wheel controls for phone calls, etc works (unlike the older APK version)

e86fc93e-640d-46b2-81e2-2598d9a242a6.jpg
says "Currently not available" on your link

OP
OP
rplush

rplush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
says "Currently not available" on your link
I linked to Amazon US. May not be available in CA

That's so awesome! Does it work for Android Auto also? I imagine it should since it is just a USB/WifFi adapter.
this adapter should be for CarPlay only. Wireless Android Auto is not very universal as there are hundreds of different android specs in the world and not all of them has the requirements to sustain wireless connectivity performance

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
They have one for Android Auto for aftermarket Head Units and you have to install an App on the HU. If I Root the factory radio, and install the App, will it work?

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
Last edited:

arbies

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Blue Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
@rplush this looks very cool... thank you for the details. If I wasn't switching from iOS to Android in a few weeks (I flip-flop back and forth a lot), I'd be all over this. When you say there is a lag when skipping songs, how long of a lag are we talking about?

Ewan Craig

First Name
Ewan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Leaf 2015
Country flag
I didn't even think this was possible. Kudos to your ingenuity!

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
How's the lag when using the touchscreen and is there any lag while talking on the phone? Amazon reviews says there's a 1 second delay but maybe it's specific to their car.

OP
OP
rplush

rplush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
How's the lag when using the touchscreen and is there any lag while talking on the phone? Amazon reviews says there's a 1 second delay but maybe it's specific to their car.
The lag is the same as using wirless carplay in Kenwood or Alpine systems. The great thing about this adapter is that because you're using the stock carplay app, all your functions for carplay remains the same. Also a noteworthy mention is that when my car is still on, connected with wireless carplay, i walk out with my phone; it instantaneously reconnects back to the car without any hesitation. Probably the best performing wireless carplay adapter i've ever used.

ShuJam

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey y'all

Carlinkit U2W

I saw this on Amazon, but was skeptical about its compatibility, but your review convinced me to finally pick it up. :thumbsup:

I have only fiddled around with it a bit just sitting in my car, and seems to work pretty well, although with some slight interface differences. Will really see how it performs when I finally take my car out on the weekend (don't drive much right now because I'm WFH because of covid).

I also have the OEM wireless charger (Canadian Touring, Si, and Type R models come with it standard from the factory), and so I can wirelessly CarPlay and wirelessly charge at the same time!

the_civic

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey y'all

Carlinkit U2W

e86fc93e-640d-46b2-81e2-2598d9a242a6.jpg
So for those of you who have pulled the trigger on this (and presumably have been using it for a couple months now), how’s it holding up? Still worth it?

Have you guys run into any issues? Lagging?

The Amazon reviews seem to be really hit or miss, so I’m curious to hear how it’s holding up for our 10th gens... appreciate any feedback... thanks!

KYRGYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic LX, 18 Model X 100D
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Do I need the one that says Color: for Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood or white one?

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
i curious as to how it sounds, in any car ive ever owned the BT has less lows (sub frequencies) and high highs than a device directly connected over USB. Anyone ever noticed this?

the_civic

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i curious as to how it sounds, in any car ive ever owned the BT has less lows (sub frequencies) and high highs than a device directly connected over USB. Anyone ever noticed this?
I was hoping to get some feedback before pulling the trigger on this, but that didn’t really happen, so I’ll let you know how it sounds once mine comes in. I’m no audiophile, but I’ll do my best to describe the sound quality with this...

Do I need the one that says Color: for Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood or white one?
I went with the “Volvo” listing because it mentioned being compatible with the 2016-2019 Honda Civic in the description... but honestly, based on the Model Number, I’m pretty sure they’re all the same...

Also... just saw this...

Honda Civic 10th gen [CONFIRMED] Working wireless carplay adapter w/ Stock headunit. No Root Needed ACAE10FA-E8DE-4023-9DCA-FCF58CA181A2
Sponsored