Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I would also get a 3" extension bar so you don't scratch the rims with the breaker bar.

You need a 19mm socket. Get a 6-sided socket, not a 12-sided socket. It is less likely to strip the head of the bolt.

Check if your tires are bi-directional. Not all tires can be moved to the opposite side, only front to back.

https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/directional-tires

Also, make sure you follow proper safety procedures for raising a vehicle.

OP
OP
Crakzor

Crakzor

First Name
Mathanael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Chevy Cruze, 2020 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would also get a 3" extension bar so you don't scratch the rims with the breaker bar.

You need a 19mm socket. Get a 6-sided socket, not a 12-sided socket. It is less likely to strip the head of the bolt.

Check if your tires are bi-directional. Not all tires can be moved to the opposite side, only front to back.

https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/directional-tires

Also, make sure you follow proper safety procedures for raising a vehicle.
i dont see an arrow on mine. How do these look?

Honda Civic 10th gen complete noob to tire rotation IMG_6715

Honda Civic 10th gen complete noob to tire rotation IMG_8245

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
If there is no arrow, then they are bi-directional. You can either rotate them in an 'X', or straight front to back.

The technical way to determine if it is time to rotate the tires is to measure the depth of the tread on the front versus the back (requires a depth gauge). There is always more wear on the front tires, so if the depth is shallower on the front, then it is time to rotate them.

Otherwise, just use your best judgement. Usually every 15K miles is a good estimate.

OP
OP
Crakzor

Crakzor

First Name
Mathanael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If there is no arrow, then they are bi-directional. You can either rotate them in an 'X', or straight front to back.

The technical way to determine if it is time to rotate the tires is to measure the depth of the tread on the front versus the back (requires a depth gauge). There is always more wear on the front tires, so if the depth is shallower on the front, then it is time to rotate them.

Otherwise, just use your best judgement. Usually every 15K miles is a good estimate.
phew im glad i can wait that long. I was th inking i had to do it every 5k miles

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
If there´s no arrow it doesn´t mean that the tire is bidirectional. That is only the case when new and you have to fit it for the first time, if no arrow you put it on the rim regardless of the direction it will turn.
But once a radial tire has been used you can´t change the direction, so the only movement admited is front to rear.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Bi-directional radials (in the United States) have been cross-rotated for the last 40 years.
The maintenance Minder Code will tell you when (every other oil change).

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
Good choice on everything, except I’d go to harbor freight and get their stands and the really low pro jack they have. Combined that with their coupon and you can do very well.

You’ll need a piece of wood for each tire so the front will be up high enough to clear the jack at the front bumper. You could do each corner but I prefer to jack up the entire front or rear at once when I’m working.

OP
OP
Crakzor

Crakzor

First Name
Mathanael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If there´s no arrow it doesn´t mean that the tire is bidirectional. That is only the case when new and you have to fit it for the first time, if no arrow you put it on the rim regardless of the direction it will turn.
But once a radial tire has been used you can´t change the direction, so the only movement admited is front to rear.
ok i didnt know that. So i can do front to back then

ijust saw this though yall

Honda Civic 10th gen complete noob to tire rotation IMG_8245

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
ok i didnt know that. So i can do front to back then

ijust saw this though yall

IMG_8245.jpg
Yes, that means that the tire band is assymetric, that`s why on the left side of the picture (just above "DOT") is marked "outside", to prevent fitting it in the rim the other way round. It has to do with the band design related to cornering grip, water evacuation under rain, etc.

Regarding cross rotation, as per tire manufacturers it is not advised to change radial tires rotation, because the steel armature inside the tire has already adapted to the turning sense it has had before, so if it is reversed it can cause tire deformation in the short term.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag

You are right, tires must stay on same side.
I alway do that on all my cars ( 500,000 miles total ) with very good result.

Pbergmann

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic sedan EX-L
Country flag
Then why does it specify cross rotating in the manual if the tires are side specific?

I've been cross rotating them for the last 20 years with no issues.

Just saying

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
I can’t believe the misinformation on this thread. If the tires are not directional (rotation arrow) they can be swapped side to side. Back in the seventies, yes, radials could not be swapped side to side. This is true when rotating with rims. As stated above, DOT or “outside “ Mark should never be reversed on the rim so that it is on the inside.

https://www.bridgestonetire.com/tread-and-trend/tire-talk/tire-rotation

Last edited: