Compatibility of CTR suspension parts with Si

250gtswb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe; 1969 Honda S800M Roadster
Country flag
I am a serial Honda Si owner since the 1980s (both Prelude Si and Civic Si models), and my '17 Si coupe's terrific handling, steering, and road-holding entertain me daily, but one can't have too much of a good thing! Does anyone know to what extent suspension and steering components from the CTR are compatible with the 2017+ Si? Control arms, springs, bushings, front sway bar (of course the rear is), etc. Does the CTR steering rack require a CTR front subframe in order to be mounted? Would the three-setting CTR adjustable dampers work in an Si, or do they require the ECU from the Type R?

Another question. I'm not thinking of an engine swap, but I am curious if anyone knows the weights of either/both the 1.5 turbo engine-transmission-diff unit and the 2.0 turbo engine-transmission-diff unit? The CTR weighs a bit more than the Si; is this mainly due to the larger engine?

Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP

250gtswb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Unfortunately, I don't have all the answers but when I was at my dealership getting my type r rear sway bar I was told that due to the anti-torque steer in the type R it makes its front end incompatible with the rest of the civics. I was looking at getting the front sway bar as well as the rear at the time. Not sure how true this is since it was second-hand information to me, but I figured it couldn't hurt.
Thanks for your reply. That makes sense; the Type R front suspension is totally different. I wonder how different the body shell of the Type R is from that of the regular hatchback, and if the front subframe mounting points are the same across the whole Civic line.

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
My gut says a lot of the rear should bolt up fine. Though you may run into issues with the tri-mode actuators.

The front is where you'll have issues as described above.

Si:

Honda Civic 10th gen Compatibility of CTR suspension parts with Si upload_2018-4-16_9-32-26

CTR:

Honda Civic 10th gen Compatibility of CTR suspension parts with Si upload_2018-4-16_9-33-51

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
"Although the front track is more than 2 inches wider than that of the Hatchback LX" http://hondanews.com/releases/honda-civic-type-r-chassis

Your problem starts here. Because of this the subframe is wider, and the body with fenders are wider.
I don't think the subframes are all that different between models, though we might have to validate. I could see it being reinforced and/or of lighter material, but dimensionally the same. Otherwise we wouldn't see the rear ARBs being interchangeable as they are today. I think the big differences are the hubs and front knuckles, and possibly the LCAs. The mounting point should be 1-2" further away to clear the larger brakes, IIRC.

Though to be fair, it's a mute point being that the front knuckle is completely different lol.

OP
OP

250gtswb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don't think the subframes are all that different between models, though we might have to validate. I could see it being reinforced and/or of lighter material, but dimensionally the same. Otherwise we wouldn't see the rear ARBs being interchangeable as they are today. I think the big differences are the hubs and front knuckles, and possibly the LCAs. The mounting point should be 1-2" further away to clear the larger brakes, IIRC.

Though to be fair, it's a mute point being that the front knuckle is completely different lol.
Thanks for the replies.

Does anyone know what the 1.5 L turbo engine/transmission weighs?
Sponsored