Compass suggestions?

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Anyone ever buy & use an add-on compass that doesn't look too out of place?

Apparently you need the NAV option to get a compass. I never had NAV in any car & can't remember the last time I had a car without a compass. Even rental cars had a compass. I rarely need a compass but once in while it comes in handy. I rarely carry a smartphone & prefer my "dumb" phone because it's smaller but has no apps.

Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsored

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'll watch the post. I wish to find a good one too.

I buy some and they don't work properley on dash mount. Too much magnetic field with car electronics ?

Last edited:

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
The stock Android head unit technically has a compass. Not a great one because it works based on satellites and motion. No gyros in there. It’s a locked dlc that Honda disabled in all non nav units. If you have Honda hack it you can enable it and toggle it to be seen on the dash.

OP
OP
BriteBlue

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I just looked into Honda Hack & it can display a compass & navigation instructions. But it appears a smart phone has to be connected. That’s a deal breaker for me. As mentioned, I prefer to carry my smaller “dumb phone”.

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
I just looked into Honda Hack & it can display a compass & navigation instructions. But it appears a smart phone has to be connected. That’s a deal breaker for me. As mentioned, I prefer to carry my smaller “dumb phone”.
only for navigation purposes. the compass should still work without a smartphone

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Same for me.
Do you have the link for Honda Hack to have a compass ?

OP
OP
BriteBlue

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
only for navigation purposes. the compass should still work without a smartphone
I contacted Honda Hack & asked how does the car receive a GPS signal if it does not have the NAV system. They replied "Every car has a gps antenna even if it doesn’t have built-in navigation apps."

If Honda Hack can download apps, can I download Google Maps?

Google Maps lets you download & save offline maps to use. If I saved offline maps for areas that I travel in then I would not need a smartphone.

IOW it should work the same as using Android Auto with a smart phone with Google Maps & offline maps.

Does that make sense?

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Downloading and installing Google Maps on the head (Rooted device / Honda Hack) shouldn't be a problem, here is a tutorial video that shows how the installation works:

The storage of the head unit has enough space to store some offline maps and it's also possible to store the offline maps data on a USB drive which is plugged into the car.

But the offline maps data will be deactivated after only one month of use, so it has to be reinstalled every month.

And so many people complain about the head unit becoming even slower after installing apps like Google Maps or it will even freeze sometimes. So I don't think this is a great solution.

OP
OP
BriteBlue

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Downloading and installing Google Maps on the head (Rooted device / Honda Hack) shouldn't be a problem, here is a tutorial video that shows how the installation works:

The storage of the head unit has enough space to store some offline maps and it's also possible to store the offline maps data on a USB drive which is plugged into the car.

But the offline maps data will be deactivated after only one month of use, so it has to be reinstalled every month.

And so many people complain about the head unit becoming even slower after installing apps like Google Maps or it will even freeze sometimes. So I don't think this is a great solution.
Thanks for the video. My car is still under warranty & it's probably best not to root the head unit yet.

I have an old smartphone that's not in service but it still works otherwise. I could keep that in the glove box & pull it out to use Google Maps if needed.
Sponsored