Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Honda Hopeful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
6 rockwell is a pretty significant difference in hardness.

I'm happy to test more of them if you'd like to ship batches my way.
True. In the realm of knives, 6 rockwell is the difference between a superb knife and a crappy one. I would think that much difference would not be attributable to lot variance.

chestypuller

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
i found this chart on rockwell for steel

Knife Steel
Steel Type Approximate Rockwell Hardness
AUS 8A 57-59
BG-42 61-62
Carbon V® 59
CPM S30V® 58-60

s30v is a good blade, it harness is 58-60 so that varies 2 rockwell already

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There's a lot attached to a metal's hardness (or lack thereof). A harder metal is more brittle and less tough. Its all a compromise, but the less hard a metal is it can take more energy before it ultimately fails completely.. but the window of it permenantly deforming without fracturing is wider. This is the failure method of our rods. The rods we've seen haven't broken... but bent. Some of them pretty substantially. If the Si rods are indeed harder, as our one test has show, they'd be less sucespitble to plastic deformation.

Again, I cast and shoot lead bullets. Pure Pb is very soft... down in the single digits. You have to add tin to get it to flow and antimony for hardness. Pure lead will take to shooting out of black powder... but can lead things up at target velocities on a pistol. Double up the number ~12 or so on brinell (what I've seen Pb based off of), which is roughly double whatever equivalent the Rockwell number is on soft objects, you're good for target loads (what I generally shoot). 1/2 again to double the number... you're good for magnum velocities without leading your barrel.

Again, I'm no metallurgist... but it doesn't take a significant change number-wise to cause a significant change in it's capabilities. You'd obviously want a *very* hard steel for knives. You're going to want that sharp edge not bend. For those in the crowd that use straight razors (me too! I usually stick to my DEs though) those blades are *super* thin... some are harder than others... but those blades will shatter like glass if struck because they're brittle/hard, some being well into the 60s and not many under... and so thin... but it takes that hardness to get it so much sharper than a conventional knife.

Until you make a rod harder to the point it's tipping to the point it's no longer elastic and it's straight breaking... you're making it stronger for our purposes. Or you make a rod that has more metal (obviously) which would be stronger.

3925blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Don't forget that this hardness level very probably does not apply to the entire thickness of the metal. It is easy to make the outside harder than the inside (like with shot-peening and other methods).

Honda Hopeful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
A difference of 6 rockwell, to me, indicates that Honda intentionally used a different metal for the Si rods; that variance is just too great to be the same material. As @chestypuller points out, variance of a metal is likely in the 2 to 3 rockwell range. And, as @charleswrivers insightfully points out, the instances of failures that have been reported here indicate the rods bending, which increased hardness should help avoid. Whether the change in Si rod material is a tradeoff that will result in improved performance (fewer damaged rods) is yet unknown. But I hope so!

Good point, @3925blue - time will (hopefully) tell.

chestypuller

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
i just hope there will be no rod changing as long as i own this car.

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
Forgive me for this basic question--are these rods and pistons forged?

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Comparison of "Base" 1.5T and "Si" 1.5T Connecting Rods upload_2018-11-8_13-6-7