JAM13

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EXL
Country flag
Is it normal for the color of the oil in the car to be a lot darker the next day when mildly driven and an oil change was performed the day before?
Sponsored

Hajidub

Honda driver, vintage stereo enthusiast
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic YES
Country flag
No, impossible. Sounds like an oil change wasnā€™t performed.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm no expert but I've changed my own oil over r last 5 years, the new oil has always been a clear amber color for at LEAST a week after the change.
I'm not sure exactly how much darker your talking about ,but it should in mi way be black and not transparent after one day.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Are you sure the mechanic put new oil filter ?

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's going to be darker because of residual oil left in the engine holding soot... then from running the car more the following day. If you were only on the schedule for oil only and not the filter... then you have a slug of used oil that's soot would dilute into the fresh oil... darkening it substantially. Without knowing these things... it's hard to really quantify... but the oil should certainly be darker after any/all of these things then it was first put in. It, however, should still be at least honey/dark honey colored and somewhat transparent. If it's black... then, yeah, I'd say they didn't change it.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
IMO, change oil and keeping old oil filter that does not make any sense.
A mechanic who would do that I would fire him.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
IMO, change oil and keeping old oil filter that does not make any sense.
A mechanic who would do that I would fire him.
Thou shall not fire a mechanic who follows the manufacturer's schedule.

Btw. do the dealers charge different prices for A and B oil changes? As far as I know they only have one price.

OP
OP
JAM13

JAM13

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EXL
Country flag
No, impossible. Sounds like an oil change wasnā€™t performed.
I changed the oil and filter myself. And I overfilled it so I had to drain some out into the oil drain container. I poured some out from it into a bottle and realized how dark it was. Not realizing how dirty my oil drain container is. Lightbulb! How do I delete this thread? Thanks guys!!

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thou shall not fire a mechanic who follows the manufacturer's schedule.

Btw. do the dealers charge different prices for A and B oil changes? As far as I know they only have one price.

Did Honda suggest oil change and keeping the same old dirty filter ???? Yes...:doh:

Honda Civic 10th gen Color of oil Capture dā€™Ć©cran, le 2020-05-20 Ć  05.07.08

Jonh Kasper Valvoline teacher ;

On the other hand any technician at a dealership that changed the oil without changing the filter would likely get fired. Or a quick lube shop. Filters are just too inexpensive not to change them. The other difficulty is tracking when the filter was changed. If you change it every time then you canā€™t lose track.

https://www.quora.com/Can-you-change-your-oil-without-changing-the-filter

IMO:
This proves once again that the maintenance suggested by Honda is not the best.

Last edited:

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So long as itā€™s not filled with crap to compromise flow (and for us highway drivers that donā€™t drive through dust storms... I canā€™t see that being a thing) the filterā€™s efficiency ought to keep rising as its on service. Seems counterintuitive, but filters will filter better and keep the oil cleaner... they don't wear out and all of a sudden start releasing piles of crap into the oil. I donā€™t know when Honda shifted to an every other time maintenance periodicity, but itā€™s been that way since at least ā€˜14 with my Odyssey. Same with the '15 Civic. If I lived in the desert or did off-roading or something where I felt I was in the ā€˜severeā€™ realm... Iā€™d probably go every time though. You certainly wonā€™t hurt anything changing it every time, other than your wallet. I like it just because every other oil change is stupid quick and pretty much mess free.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
So long as itā€™s not filled with crap to compromise flow (and for us highway drivers that donā€™t drive through dust storms... I canā€™t see that being a thing) the filterā€™s efficiency ought to keep rising as its on service. Seems counterintuitive, but filters will filter better and keep the oil cleaner... they don't wear out and all of a sudden start releasing piles of crap into the oil. I donā€™t know when Honda shifted to an every other time maintenance periodicity, but itā€™s been that way since at least ā€˜14 with my Odyssey. Same with the '15 Civic. If I lived in the desert or did off-roading or something where I felt I was in the ā€˜severeā€™ realm... Iā€™d probably go every time though. You certainly wonā€™t hurt anything changing it every time, other than your wallet. I like it just because every other oil change is stupid quick and pretty much mess free.
The table quoted in the post above by @latole is identical to the table in my 2009 CR-V manual. So no, it's not a recent invention.
Filters are just too inexpensive not to change them.
Inexpensive for whom? For Honda every cent counts to advertise the cheapest maintenance cost and a small fart gas footprint or whatever it's called. Drinking straws are cheap too.
But business reasons aside, I'm actually personally 100% sure that even the basic Honda filter will last easily for two OCIs, not even mentioning some super-duper built-like-a-tank non-OEM filters.
Sponsored