color matching a wrap to factory paint?

tyty573

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R LE #USA-322
Country flag
i am working on an itasha hood wrap for my limited edition type r, and having trouble figuring out how to match the wrap's background color to the car's yellow.

i've done some extensive googling, and it appears there's no clean or programmatic way to convert a paint code to an RGB or Hex value. has anyone here done anything like this..?

what's the best way to go about ensuring the printed background on my hood wrap matches my stock paint? thanks in advance.

Honda Civic 10th gen color matching a wrap to factory paint? InkedPreview_LI
Sponsored

Last edited:

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
IDK if there’s a conversion between paint codes and hex or rgb.

However you plan on printing out the design on vinyl, what about printing out a bunch of much smaller versions, say 2”x2”, with various shades of yellow that you think are pretty close to the OEM paint, then matching each to the car itself? Kinda like multiple color shade tiles. Is that possible?

LegoEggrollz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic Hatchback LX/Sensing
Country flag
hmmm don't know what can be done but you can do something similar to my Itasha, just have the graphics printed and have the shop do contour cutting. but i imagine you want something to cover and protect the original paint?
EDIT: you can clear bra the hood and than do the itasha on top of it. so you get protection but can have the color come through.

Honda Civic 10th gen color matching a wrap to factory paint? 20210712_201148

Honda Civic 10th gen color matching a wrap to factory paint? 245301238_4773078912726949_737348612975711595_n

Last edited:

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Tyler.iguess

Banned
Banned
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si coupe
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Was just bout to post it here haha.

JoshFK7

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
I work in printable vinyl wraps and a good print shop will have a colorimeter that can measure colors so they can get a HEX/RGB values that they can use for the print. That same shop should have a high end printer that can get close to the Phoenix Yellow.

Another good option as mentioned above, is to contour cut the graphic, so the hood will only be partially wrapped. This exposes most of the paint color, but the yellow Saitama complicates this a bit since they would still need to get close to Phoenix yellow to print it.

OP
OP
tyty573

tyty573

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R LE #USA-322
Country flag
I know nothing about this stuff but could you make that part clear so your paint shows through?
Ended up going with this option. Had to have the printer edit the picture to remove the background.. A little nervous. Will post pics of how it turns out!
Sponsored