Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS) Appreciation Post

Vigawla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Sedan 2017 VTi-LX
Preface: I live in Australia so just reverse left for right for right-lane driving.

I was coming up to a T-intersection turning right but a car was attempting a poor u-turn and was just sitting in the road I was turning into. So I just stood still and indicated right to wait for the car to move out of the way.

After the car moved ahead, I accelerated and turned right into the intersection. A car behind me decided waiting 5 seconds was too long and overtook me on my right. Scared the absolute shite out of me and I felt the car shake and stop (as the car passed). Thinking the car had hit me, I was shaking while watching the offending driver drive off.

I eventually parked and observed the damage but there was none! The CBMS has sensed the offending car faster than I (or probably any human) ever could have and stopped the car despite me pressing down on the accelerator. Without the CBMS, I would've driven the right-end of my car right into their backdoor.

Am very happy with the Vti-LX (Australian top-tier version)!

Just wish I had a dashcam to shame the two un-roadworthy drivers.
Sponsored

Whitest Russian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Grats man. I also have Honda sensing and I didn't know that the CMBS system overrides driver acceleration input like that. That's pretty neat.

Civic416

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring
I'm driving a 2016 Honda Accord with CMBS -- just waiting for my '18 Sport Touring to arrive :)

I have mixed feelings about it. I find that the detection has some sensitivity and functionality issues -- frequently it beeps (auto-brake does not engage) while I'm simply rolling to a stop behind the car in front of me, with plenty of distance. Another time, I had the music on and the Brake! dash light blinked at me as I was approaching a bit too quick, but there was no beeping.

One episode gave me cause for concern:

I was slowly approaching a vehicle making a right hand turn in the same lane - they had turned and were well into the intersection, and as I started to accelerate past (zero chance of collision) the sensor/auto-brake engaged WHILE I was in the intersection. Brakes fully engaged, I skidded to an almost dead stop and luckily there was no car directly behind me, since there may have been a collision. To me it was a double fail since it would not have prevented a front crash and could have caused a rear collision. Has that happened to anyone?

I think it's a great feature for new/anxious drivers, but I'm glad CMBS is fully defeatable.

sadsushi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Oh I appreciate it..it saved me a wreck I think the first day i got my Touring...was looking at the nice 7 inch screen not looking in front of me and cars were stopped in front of me at a red light and it stopped me after several break notifications..totally would of rear ended the car in front of me without that system:fear::eek:

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 10th Gen - Vti-LX (Australia)
Country flag
Preface: I live in Australia so just reverse left for right for right-lane driving.

I was coming up to a T-intersection turning right but a car was attempting a poor u-turn and was just sitting in the road I was turning into. So I just stood still and indicated right to wait for the car to move out of the way.

After the car moved ahead, I accelerated and turned right into the intersection. A car behind me decided waiting 5 seconds was too long and overtook me on my right. Scared the absolute shite out of me and I felt the car shake and stop (as the car passed). Thinking the car had hit me, I was shaking while watching the offending driver drive off.

I eventually parked and observed the damage but there was none! The CBMS has sensed the offending car faster than I (or probably any human) ever could have and stopped the car despite me pressing down on the accelerator. Without the CBMS, I would've driven the right-end of my car right into their backdoor.

Am very happy with the Vti-LX (Australian top-tier version)!

Just wish I had a dashcam to shame the two un-roadworthy drivers.
Vti-LX represent!

nuowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic SI
Country flag
I hate all of this stuff.

That's all. Now go ahead and flame me.
No flaming from me.

If all this tech worked as advertised all the time, I still wouldn't want any of it. I'd much rather they figured out a way to disable any 'hands-on' use of a cell phone while the vehicle is running (not just moving!). The more nanny shit they put on cars, the less attention people will be paying to what's going on around them.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I hate all of this stuff.

That's all. Now go ahead and flame me.
No... I'm the same way. I don't have anything quite this advanced, but my Odyssey has lane watch and forward collision warning... I assume the same as the described system minus the braking ability.

On a narrow road, LW beeps constantly and on hills, FCW is in a constant 'you're going to die' mode. I usually keep LW off unless I'm on the interstate. I have the FCW sensitivity at the lowest setting but do have it on. I've never been 'saved by it, though it has gone off properly when someone has cut in front on me on the interstate, passing me on my right vice left on a 3-lane. I was aware of it going to happen though so no surprise there.

It's a '14 and I bet it's improved since then but it's more of an annoyance than a help for me.

I'm glad it did come to work favorably for the OP.
Sponsored