First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 PWP Si, Super Street S2000 Week to Wicked
Country flag
Hey All,

I just wanted to hear your thoughts with the Honda Sense suite in particular the Collision Mitigation braking system. Today i was leaving the grocery store stopped at a stopped light. The car ahead of my began to accelerate and so I did after they did. Soon after that my car yelled and screamed to brake even though that car was roughly 10-15 feet away and i was going 15 MPH at this point. Out of nowhere my car brakes hard and releasesits brakes after a second or two and so i accelerate again and the same thing happens the car "detects" a car ahead which is now 5-10 car lengths away and continues to brake hard for the second time.

This was pretty frustrating and quite odd/scary as there was a car behind me that had to brake hard twice because of this feature. Have you guys had any experience with this? Coming from a Honda S2000 i can see why people love cars with less tech. Also any work arounds or fixes to this issue? I've already adjusted the sensitivity to be much more delayed but its still sensitive. I know turning it off may fix it temporarily but turning the car off then on again will just turn it back on. I would love to hear your thoughts on this feature. Love or Hate? Also how do you deal with it?
Sponsored

Limabean231

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I've a 2018 EX-L w/ sensing and a 2020 Si for roughly 3 years now, probably about 55k miles total. I get the beeps every now and then at unnecessary times. 0 times I've had it brake for me when I didn't want it to. If it's braking for a car 10 car lengths away (~150 ft) something is seriously wrong and you should have it looked at.

OP
OP
ricemeup

ricemeup

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 PWP Si, Super Street S2000 Week to Wicked
Country flag
I've a 2018 EX-L w/ sensing and a 2020 Si for roughly 3 years now, probably about 55k miles total. I get the beeps every now and then at unnecessary times. 0 times I've had it brake for me when I didn't want it to. If it's braking for a car 10 car lengths away (~150 ft) something is seriously wrong and you should have it looked at.
Thanks for the input! For sure this is a bit scary so i might have it looked at if it does this again. Ill take it for a spin around the city and see what happens.

I was concerned about my clutch since it braked so hard while i was accelerating but i think its just my OCD thinking oh snaps this is a new car and this just happens out of the blue. Ill take a look back at the dashcam footage and see what happened. the other thing i could be thinking is that sensor might be dirty? The car hasnt been washed for two weeks but i dont think it would be that. Its quite odd for sure.

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
It does get kinda scary at times, mainly because Iā€™ve actually had mine brake a couple times when it got close... but it did what it was intended to do.

Sometimes Iā€™ll be accelerating to pass, and end up getting close to the car in front of me, and the ā€œbrakeā€ flashes, kinda worries me that itā€™s going to auto brake, which in that particular situation would/could be dangerous... but that hasnā€™t happened yet. *knocks on wood*

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
I love it. ACC and LKAS are not useful in metro environment, but are god send for long cross state/country drives. LKAS only works in well marked highways and when it works, steering is effortless. You just have to keep you hand on the steering wheel. It felt weird at first, but I love it now.

I never really have any issues with CMBS either. Going past 12K miles and I can honestly say I had one possible false trigger when it flashed the "Brake..." msg out of nowhere going 45 MPH + on relatively clear highway. I don't remember the exact road condition, but it felt like a false trigger. But no matter, it only flashed warning and didn't brake. Other than that, one time it brake before I did when I was going 45MPH+ coming in really hot onto the rear bumper of a stopped car ahead. And I got flashing warnings sometimes (not often) and all of the warnings are valid: either I was too aggressive, or in stop and go traffic I sped up when the car ahead was slowing down, etc.

Overall, I love it. CMBS is always on when I drive and I drive pretty spirited most time and sometimes aggressive. No real false triggers yet.

In your situation, I think 10-15 (about a car length) is just too close and you probably accelerated faster than the car ahead and when the computer calculated that you're loosing distance and will hit the car in front in x number of seconds, the CMBS warnings and/or actions triggered. If not, then I don't know what to tell you because I've never experience this. YET (maybe?)! ?

04sthemi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI, 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Country flag
Iā€™ve had a couple false detections out of nowhere, where the car flashes then brakes that really pissed me off. Have had a couple times when I get close to someone as there turning off the road to a side street where itā€™s brakes on me but Iā€™ve learned to avoid that

2020MSMcivicSI

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
Yeah the system is far from perfect. 2 weeks ago, I did a cross country trip and the ACC would sometimes brake when I was passing people in the fast lane and other cars were in the lane to the right. It wasn't a full hard brake but it was definitely annoying. After the road trip, the ACC system is pretty much useless unless light traffic and I had to constantly turn it off and on which kind of defeats its purpose.

I've also had the collision mitigation do a full brake when someone was turning off on a side road and I was coasting and going straight. CM seems more picky when you are off throttle and just coasting then when accelerating. You can definitely "override" its braking with throttle... sometimes you need to squeeze into a spot on the freeway or pass an idiot that's going slow in the left lane with other traffic around.

But other than passing people with ACC on, I can't think of a time where it broke for no reason... its just overly cautious.

VTecYoSelfB4UWreckYoSelf

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Country flag
Honda sensing is a blessing and a curse. I love adaptive cruise control but the car loves to brake when someone is turning off the road in front of you. I've also had the car brake by itself when it didn't need to.

jlamb30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan ā€¢ 03 Kawi ZX-6R 636
Country flag
I've never had mine brake unless ACC was activated. It was unnerving at first when it braked for a car ahead of me turning onto a side road when the car was clear of what I would consider the danger zone. Since I've gotten used to it and can anticipate when it's going to activate, I'll usually either hit the cancel button on the wheel or tap the brake, then hit resume once I'm past the turning car.

tcr1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic si 2020
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Often the detection beeps when there are shadows of trees in the path .

EdwarDallas

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
I hate it. It has almost caused me to be in a wreck multiple times or the brake slams on and holds too long and I was almost rear-ended multiple times. Fail.

dt10g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX sedan 6MT (Canadian)
Country flag
Curious, can you turn CMBS off (permanently)
or is it like the Traction Control that you have to turn off every time you start the car... ?

Thanks

Found my answer: Every Damn Time

Honda Civic 10th gen Collision Mitigation Braking System 20' Si 1712966460555-uj
Sponsored

Last edited: