Collision Mitigation Braking System™(CMBS™)

Ikabob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Accord Touring
Country flag
Is the Collision MitigationBraking System™(CMBS™) automatically functional while driving?
How can you test it to be sure?
This is for the Civic Sedan Touring.
Sponsored

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is the Collision MitigationBraking System™(CMBS™) automatically functional while driving?
Do more than 10 MPH faster than the car in front of you while approaching quickly.

First stage will flash 'BRAKE', second stage adds an audible alert, third stage is it brakes hard enough to give you whiplash.

OP
OP
Ikabob

Ikabob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Accord Touring
Country flag
Do more than 10 MPH faster than the car in front of you while approaching quickly.

First stage will flash 'BRAKE', second stage adds an audible alert, third stage is it brakes hard enough to give you whiplash.
Funny?
Thanks. So, it is on automatically?

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Funny?
Wasn't really meant to be funny, if it automatically brakes, it brakes HARD and unexpectedly quick.

It is on by default, you can turn it off by holding the button to the left of the wheel for a few seconds. You will get an indication in the DII that it's been turned off.

thepixelsedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Funny?
Yup... You can turn it off and on if you wish. There's 3 buttons by the drivers left knee. You can turn off traction control, CMBS, and Lane departure warning. However, once the car is turned off and back on they are all turned on again by default. It'll alert you in the instrument cluster when you turn them off/on.

DX2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Funny because it's one system you can only test by trying to get into an accident.

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
I "tested" CMBS once by accident, I was accelerating and passing a vehicle too close and at the last second before pulling out to the left, the brakes came on for a split second. As soon as I was out beside the vehicle the system reverted back to normal operation and let me resume passing.

Same thing happens when a vehicle is slowing down in front of you to pull off the road and you have plenty of time to sneak by as you time his departure out of your lane but the CMBS does its job and hits the brakes anyways. At least it works as intended.

FYI, the distance or sensitivity is adjustable in the vehicle settings. You can have CBMS react slower or quicker than normal if I remember right. Same thing goes for road departure warning system as well but I think only two options, wide and normal maybe.

thepixelsedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Same thing goes for road departure warning system as well but I think only two options, wide and normal maybe.
Normal, wide, and warning only.

I have it set to warning only bc the last snowfall we had, I was trying to drive in the path of other tires where there was no snow but every so often the lane departure mitigation would push me over onto the snow or even slow me down by applying the brakes. As soon as I got to work, I set that to warning only so now when I get to close to a lane marker, the steering wheel shakes a bit, and Lane departure comes up on the instrument panel but the car doesn't try to steer me back or stop.

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
Normal, wide, and warning only.

I have it set to warning only bc the last snowfall we had, I was trying to drive in the path of other tires where there was no snow but every so often the lane departure mitigation would push me over onto the snow or even slow me down by applying the brakes. As soon as I got to work, I set that to warning only so now when I get to close to a lane marker, the steering wheel shakes a bit, and Lane departure comes up on the instrument panel but the car doesn't try to steer me back or stop.
I like that idea! I don't mind the "steer me back" part but there is a little steering correction part afterwards that bugs me. The slowing down bit is also bothersome.

thepixelsedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
I like that idea! I don't mind the "steer me back" part but there is a little steering correction part afterwards that bugs me. The slowing down bit is also bothersome.
Ya I wouldn't mind just the steering bc it doesn't take much to overpower it... It's the slowing down part I'm not a fan of.

I guess it's meant as a precaution to save u from hitting guardrail if you fall asleep (or something else) on the highway

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I have it set on short distance and it still goes off every once in a while. I believe it also learns from your blinkers and everything to determine if you're going to hit somebody. I've never experienced the passing thing as the other guy.

Kindred1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I drove on a major 4 lane expressway across Toronto today in heavy traffic and never touched the brake pedal. Cars darted in front and the system worked.