Sponsored

Last edited:

lawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ABM type r
Country flag
I don't think this is really a fair practice, and yelp will probably remove your review if too many people start flooding it with bad reviews. Why would someone in TX would care enough to leave a bad review for a dealership in southern california?

We've all seen this movie before. When everyone willing to pay extra for these cars already has gotten theirs, the market price will go down. But this is our (purchasers) fault as much as dealerships. Why would they accept less if somebody else is impatient and is willing to pay 5k over? So long as they find buyers at these prices they'll keep doing it.

Vinnie

First Name
Vinnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mazdaspeed 3
I hate this idea. Reminds me of the South Park about Yelp. Just because a dealer wants to charge more than MSRP does not make them a bad dealer and warrant a bad review. It just means they'll sell the car to the next guy willing to pay. That's like going to a restaraunt and demanding a discount on a meal with a threat of a bad review if they don't give it to you. So many people get on a power trip because they have a public forum (yelp) that can negatively effect someone's business. I hope the dealer laughs at the idea, sees this thread, and highlights this "As you know, due to the laws in the US, a Honda dealer can charge whatever the market will allow for a new car."

Entitled much?

doCTR

First Name
doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR CW / RS400 / Golf R/ Forester XT
Country flag
they are not stealing or demanding ransom. They just capitalizing on capitalism. supply Vs demand.

Except for the filthy rich who buy toys for just the sake of it, the majority of type R owners are most likely hard working folks. some of them work so hard that they have no free time to put in the leg work to find a dealer/ or take time off to fly and drive from a dealer in another state etc. So they just use what leverage they have, that is money they earned working extra to realize their dream. Some others dont have to work as many hours they have free time and if their passion is high they put that into researching and leg work and be first in line when opportunity strikes, or fly and drive for 2 days etc and many here got their type R for mrsp or near MSRP. So in short either money speaks or hardwork speaks and both of these only if luck favors. And there are many majority who are patient who wait for the market to settle, the bugs tobe fixed and they will buy the car eventually.

Giving business bad reviews affects all the employees working there and their livelihood who prolly dont have any say in these things at all. This is free market economy at its best, its a gamble taken by first adopters thinking only few models will be made. they took risk. It might not pay off if honda keeps producing the car and you are willing to wait price will come down and then you get power of bargain over the same dealer whose name is christian.

I am a wuss by nature and can never be confrontational with any one. How do you even start such a conversation about this "list" with the dealership?

Honda Civic 10th gen Collective Dealer Reviews Untitled

lawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ABM type r
Country flag
they are not stealing or demanding ransom. They just capitalizing on capitalism. supply Vs demand.

Except for the filthy rich who buy toys for just the sake of it, the majority of type R owners are most likely hard working folks. some of them work so hard that they have no free time to put in the leg work to find a dealer/ or take time off to fly and drive from a dealer in another state etc. So they just use what leverage they have, that is money they earned working extra to realize their dream. Some others dont have to work as many hours they have free time and if their passion is high they put that into researching and leg work and be first in line when opportunity strikes, or fly and drive for 2 days etc and many here got their type R for mrsp or near MSRP. So in short either money speaks or hardwork speaks and both of these only if luck favors. And there are many majority who are patient who wait for the market to settle, the bugs tobe fixed and they will buy the car eventually.

Giving business bad reviews affects all the employees working there and their livelihood who prolly dont have any say in these things at all. This is free market economy at its best, its a gamble taken by first adopters thinking only few models will be made. they took risk. It might not pay off if honda keeps producing the car and you are willing to wait price will come down and then you get power of bargain over the same dealer whose name is christian.

I am a wuss by nature and can never be confrontational with any one. How do you even start such a conversation about this "list" with the dealership?

Untitled.png

Sometimes it's the GM's (or the owner's) call on the pricing of these. I'm pretty sure if my first salesguy was able he'd sell me the car at MSRP. Because if I walk out, he might not be the next guy to get a buyer on the car.

I don't agree with the negative reviews. I would say, however, that I dealt with a GM who was charging 3k for accessories only when almost EVERYONE in my half of the state was doing 5k over. He was upfront and honest and followed up with the progress of the car as it was being built and shipped. I'm more than happy to give him a good review on yelp because that was great customer service. So I would say if you dealt with someone who treated you well, it would make sense to give them a good yelp review.

I would only give a bad yelp review if they were rude on the phone or a jackass. But bad reviews due to pricing, is a little iffy.

I am not a dealership apologist, and I was really discouraged in the beginning of my search, but I get it now. if people are willing to pay, that's the price dealerships are putting it at.

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
Look, your fellow consumers are the ones to blame. From reading back through the history on the CTR sub forum here, few people were able to get first 2017 CTRs on showrooms for MSRP until the dealers figured out they were HOT via actually paying attention to how many were being made, and listening to how excited people were. They preyed on peoples ability to fork out more than list for the desire of having a CTR, and some consumers willingly did.

Not going to lie, some dealers took terrible advantage of the situation and did shady stuff like back out of pre-agreed/down payment backed prices. Some dealers were and are working with consumers to be reasonable. I'd say your personal experience is going to differ for these reasons:

1) Your willingness to walk away from an offer. (No, seriously, walk away)
2) Time of the month (GO FIND ONE AT MONTH END, jeez)
3) Trade-in vs. No trade-in (don't walk in with a trade-in if possible)
4) Age (I'm sorry, this does matter because people are silly and stupid. Only way to combat it is to be confident and firm)
5) Waffling on what you're willing to do (there's a difference between haggling and backing down. Backing down will make them dig in their heels and stay at their offer)

Sometimes the reason you don't get a good offer is the dealership, sometimes it's the sales person, sometimes it's just you. You can only be a confident person, with a single focus and the ability to not back down no matter how much you want it.

I personally went in with the thought "I do not need this car", because I didn't. I would have stopped my search after a month and just went and upgraded to a WRX STI. (I had a personal reason why I HAD to be out of my WRX in 30 days. Fun times.)

If you sit and threaten a dealership with negative reviews when they are just doing what dealers have done for years and which consumers have enabled, you're just a bad customer in their eyes. Good luck finding a dealer that will react the way you want them to.

ChampwhiteFK8

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW Type R
Country flag
Look, your fellow consumers are the ones to blame. From reading back through the history on the CTR sub forum here, few people were able to get first 2017 CTRs on showrooms for MSRP until the dealers figured out they were HOT via actually paying attention to how many were being made, and listening to how excited people were. They preyed on peoples ability to fork out more than list for the desire of having a CTR, and some consumers willingly did.

Not going to lie, some dealers took terrible advantage of the situation and did shady stuff like back out of pre-agreed/down payment backed prices. Some dealers were and are working with consumers to be reasonable. I'd say your personal experience is going to differ for these reasons:

1) Your willingness to walk away from an offer. (No, seriously, walk away)
2) Time of the month (GO FIND ONE AT MONTH END, jeez)
3) Trade-in vs. No trade-in (don't walk in with a trade-in if possible)
4) Age (I'm sorry, this does matter because people are silly and stupid. Only way to combat it is to be confident and firm)
5) Waffling on what you're willing to do (there's a difference between haggling and backing down. Backing down will make them dig in their heels and stay at their offer)

Sometimes the reason you don't get a good offer is the dealership, sometimes it's the sales person, sometimes it's just you. You can only be a confident person, with a single focus and the ability to not back down no matter how much you want it.

I personally went in with the thought "I do not need this car", because I didn't. I would have stopped my search after a month and just went and upgraded to a WRX STI. (I had a personal reason why I HAD to be out of my WRX in 30 days. Fun times.)

If you sit and threaten a dealership with negative reviews when they are just doing what dealers have done for years and which consumers have enabled, you're just a bad customer in their eyes. Good luck finding a dealer that will react the way you want them to.
Exactly this. No way around it.

Also seeing you're from Seattle, GO HAWKS! :)

Vinnie

First Name
Vinnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mazdaspeed 3
so he sweet talked you into coming back into the dealership... sounds like every dealership i've dealth with. hopefully you get it at MSRP but i'm not holding my breath. good luck

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
We already have a stickied thread about dealers and a naughty list? is this really necessary?

Plombhpa

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R, F150
Country flag
I hate this idea. Reminds me of the South Park about Yelp. Just because a dealer wants to charge more than MSRP does not make them a bad dealer and warrant a bad review. It just means they'll sell the car to the next guy willing to pay. That's like going to a restaraunt and demanding a discount on a meal with a threat of a bad review if they don't give it to you. So many people get on a power trip because they have a public forum (yelp) that can negatively effect someone's business. I hope the dealer laughs at the idea, sees this thread, and highlights this "As you know, due to the laws in the US, a Honda dealer can charge whatever the market will allow for a new car."

Entitled much?
I disagree with your example. What would you do if you went to a restaurant and they gave your dinner to someone else because they offered to pay more for it.

Hal

Vortexhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PMM Civic Type R GT #10432
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I disagree with your example. What would you do if you went to a restaurant and they gave your dinner to someone else because they offered to pay more for it.

Hal
You get your money back, give it a bad review, and go to a different one?

doCTR

First Name
doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR CW / RS400 / Golf R/ Forester XT
Country flag
Comparing an essential commodity like food to car is different, still just for argument sake. Let’s play that scenario. Every one is hungry, only hand full of restaurants around food is in short supply that they can only feed 2 or 3 people out of hundreds. Where do you draw the line? What’s fair game? Pure luck? Still first come first serve that means your location near to restaurent makes us better eligible? Fight to death and last three standing ?

There are no right answers in this grey world

Last edited:

Vinnie

First Name
Vinnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mazdaspeed 3

Hal
I see your point... if we were talking about people offering more than what the dealers were asking for a car.

Plombhpa

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R, F150
Country flag
Comparing an essential commodity like food to car is different, still just for argument sake. Let’s play that scenario. Every one is hungry, only hand full of restaurants around food is in short supply that they can only feed 2 or 3 people out of hundreds. Where do you draw the line? What’s fair game? Pure luck? Still first come first serve that means your location near to restaurent makes us better eligible? Fight to death and last three standing ?
Look, since the beginning I have been counseling for everyone to only offer MSRP. There are numerous Type R owners that paid MSRP, myself included. It would certainly be cheaper for all of us if the cars were allocated by picking the high card or rock-paper-scissors. I’m sorry but you sound like a salesman. Did you ever here of fair market value.

If someone was starving would you charge what ever you could get. You might, I wouldn’t, it is a choice that we all make.
Sponsored