Cold Weather Fuel Economy Thread

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Coupe touring WOP Toyota T4R '06
'Typical of winter driving, but a far more drastic drop than any other car I've owned before.'

I noticed too, very sensitive to adverse conditions especially wind and cold.
Sponsored

Spinner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
I've definitely noticed a difference in the cold. Its been between 0-30F the last few days. On the few cold days we had before putting my snow tires (Blizzak WS80s) on, I was noticing a 2-3 mpg difference from my average summer mpg (my guess is it was the cold weather fuel). Snow tires took it down another 2-4 mpg. I did a 350-mile run to NYC and managed 37 mpg on the way down, and 38 on the way back. Normally I'd get 40-43 on a drive like that.

TL;DR - Winter mix fuel + snow tires = a bit worse MPG.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Seems erratic - earlier this week I got 34 mpg on what normally is 38 mpg highway trip. Today I got 38.3 mpg which is the same I get in warm weather (it was 22F). But I was driving slower, like 55-65 instead of 75. Seems like going 75 in 20 degree weather takes a big toll.

I don't think the snow tires affect it at all, I saw no difference in warmer weather going from the stock all seasons to snow tires.

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Coupe touring WOP Toyota T4R '06
I'm in upstate NY, and I just got my car (Hatch EX-L Navi) on Saturday. I'm still on the tank of gas that I took delivery on, and trip computer shows 26-28 MPG, and this is 100% city driving. I'm also taking it a bit easy, since it's a new car and just trying to acclimate to everything.
bet your happy, course the mpg will improve but not a ton...this car likes it nice and warm for economy.

WNC_Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Aegean Blue Civic LX Coupe 6 speed manual ,2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 5 speed manual
I am getting a very consistent 40-41 MPG out of my 2017 LX 6 speed coupe

Im hoping when the summer blend fuel and warmer temps i will get 43-45 MPG

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
People always forget how many factors kill winter economy.. :banghead:

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I'm getting 28.3 mpg so far. My commute is 6 miles each way and with hills so I barely have a chance to warm the engine up. It's around -10C here so far and I'm on WS80s

syncro87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic sedan EX-T, '18 Prius Two, '09 Scion xB, '88 R100RT
Country flag
One way to recoup a small amount of your fuel economy is to run ethanol-free gas. I've noticed a consistent 3-5% gain in MPG when running ethanol-free fuel. I have run premium with ethanol, no MPG increase vs. standard 10% etoh gas. I drive the same route pretty consistently in the same vehicle. I'm convinced the ethanol in gasoline results in a 3-5% MPG loss.

This, of course, isn't going to erase a 15% MPG loss (or more) due to winter factors already discussed.

Never hurts to check tire pressure. Very likely a lot of people are running a bit on the low side in very cold weather. Low tire pressure is another MPG sapper.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
One way to recoup a small amount of your fuel economy is to run ethanol-free gas. I've noticed a consistent 3-5% gain in MPG when running ethanol-free fuel. I have run premium with ethanol, no MPG increase vs. standard 10% etoh gas. I drive the same route pretty consistently in the same vehicle. I'm convinced the ethanol in gasoline results in a 3-5% MPG loss.

This, of course, isn't going to erase a 15% MPG loss (or more) due to winter factors already discussed.

Never hurts to check tire pressure. Very likely a lot of people are running a bit on the low side in very cold weather. Low tire pressure is another MPG sapper.
But this is usually offset by (obv dependent on location) the cost of ethanol-free. For me, the one station that sells it within 50+ miles has it for nearly $4/gallon.

b0j4ngl35

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
I live in ND and since our temps dipped below zero, I've been seeing probably low-to-mid 20's on average, but my commute is all city driving too. Got a heat wave in the 20's though this week so definitely enjoying that!

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
'Typical of winter driving, but a far more drastic drop than any other car I've owned before.'

I noticed too, very sensitive to adverse conditions especially wind and cold.
I've been shocked at the MPG decrease with the colder weather. It SEEMS more extreme with this 2016 Civic EX Sedan than previous cars I've owned, but I probably wasn't watching MPGs as closely on those cars, either. Since the temps in my area have dropped, between teens and -5° F for the last 3 weeks, I've noticed a decrease from around 40 MPG to 33 MPG (17.5% decrease) per the trip computer with the same driving locations and style.

syncro87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic sedan EX-T, '18 Prius Two, '09 Scion xB, '88 R100RT
Country flag
But this is usually offset by (obv dependent on location) the cost of ethanol-free. For me, the one station that sells it within 50+ miles has it for nearly $4/gallon.

Yes, obviously the cost is higher. I wasn't looking at it from a cost per mile standpoint. Some people are weird and just want to maximize their MPG number for their entertainment value, or add a few miles of range to a tank of gas.

Around here, it's something like 40 or 50 cents a gallon more. If regular unleaded is two bucks, premium with ethanol free is $2.40 or $2.50. There is no such thing at regular unleaded sans ethanol here.

ETOH free gas is outrageous in your area.

Re: MPG drop seeming more pronounced with Civics than cars we've owned before...

This might be due to the Civic's typical summer MPG being so high to begin with.

If you're driving a car that gets 25 mpg, a 20% decrease is a 5 mpg drop. A car that gets 40 MPG (what our car is averaging in summer), a 20% drop is 8 mpg.

An 8 mpg drop seems a lot bigger than 5 mpg, but it's the same percentage given that the baseline MPG was different to begin with.

This assumes, of course, that the average Civic owner was driving a significantly less efficient car prior to the Civic.

Anyway, just something that occurred to me.

Last edited:

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Totally normal.. In connecticut.. This has happenned on all 8 of my hondas and my 1 pontiac and mitsubishy.. I use to measure the tanks myself upon refilling my car.. I havent had it in the summer yet as i just picked it up.. But my 2017 ex-t manual is getting me 34mpg i do control econ mode alot however.. Enable/dissable when it gets hilly.. Same once i reach cruising speed or gotta speed up.. Yadda yadda.. If im getting 34 with alot a 70% city / 30% highway... I cant wait to see what i get this summer.. I had one tank on my 2013 accord ex coupe m/t wich was 90% highway net me 51.2 mpg (using all possible hypermiling means) so i cant wait to see what i get on a hot summer day.

Alejoviejo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Cadillac CTS, 2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
My car car is still new with about 400 miles, weather around the Atlanta area when I drive is mid to high 30s. No where near as bad as some of you. Trip computer says ~34mpg per trip if I remember correctly, 80% interstate at 70mph, 20% hwy with speed at 55mph

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Was getting about 29-30 mpg mixed commuting 16 miles each way to work in Milwaukee since it got cold. Before winter tires.

I took a road trip this morning back to visit family in Michigan and on the same tank, got it up to 34 on the read out.

Not pleased considering I usually get 42+ on that trip, but 34 is still better then my Si was. 20...that's another story.

This car definitely takes a bigger hit in winter than any other cars I've ever owned. Not a big deal, but it was immediately noticed. As long as I stay above 30 mixed driving, I'll be content.
Sponsored