Cold Start Rattle Noise

Zdiver

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
I'm wondering if the noise I'm hearing is normal, it only occurs on cold starts usually only notice it in the morning when I leave for work. To me it does not sound healthy as it sounds like something is rattling bad under the hood. The car is at the dealer right now getting some interior rattles and the coolant connector recall taken care of. I told them about it and they are claiming its normal. The loaner ex-t they gave me does make the noise slightly but no where to the degree that mine does.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Zdiver

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan

rgmcmxci

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic HB EX-L w/Navi
I have the same issue with my car on cold starts, and I have reported it to Honda. They don't have any information about it at the moment (at least not my dealer). Sounds like a similar issue that the previous generation of the Pilots had, and they provided a fix for it.

OP
OP

Zdiver

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
I have the same issue with my car on cold starts, and I have reported it to Honda. They don't have any information about it at the moment (at least not my dealer). Sounds like a similar issue that the previous generation of the Pilots had, and they provided a fix for it.
Do you know what the fix was for the pilots?

airgas1998

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' civic touring sedan
Country flag
mine does it too...sounds like shit but f it not keeping this pos beyond the warranty period anyway. this and the warm start ratttle. smh..

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
I've had similar sound at cold start. the only difference it was less noticeable and would last around 10-15seconds. I did go away once I got my first oil change (dumped FF and put synthetic in). I ran analysis on that oil and it was badly diluted with fuel. It was also sheared off and viscosity was good amount below the grade. Check your oil level, look at the color and check how thin it is. Don't follow MM and get it changed. These 1.5T engines DILUTE oil. Hope this helps

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
I've had similar sound at cold start. the only difference it was less noticeable and would last around 10-15seconds. I did go away once I got my first oil change (dumped FF and put synthetic in). I ran analysis on that oil and it was badly diluted with fuel. It was also sheared off and viscosity was good amount below the grade. Check your oil level, look at the color and check how thin it is. Don't follow MM and get it changed. These 1.5T engines DILUTE oil. Hope this helps

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag

OP
OP

Zdiver

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
That is interesting because I'm just under 5k miles and have not done the first oil change yet. I figured fuel dilution was bad as it seems to be with most DIT motors. Before this civic I had a 16 wrx that I traded in and they are notorious for the fuel dilution. I usually go 5k on a change but was going to run 7500 or the full 10k on this car because I don't drive it hard, I bought it for mpg as my daily. I might try changing the oil though because I already have everything to do it and I could go with the 5k intervals like always. Mine usually lasts around 10 seconds or so as well by the way.

Thanks!

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
That is interesting because I'm just under 5k miles and have not done the first oil change yet. I figured fuel dilution was bad as it seems to be with most DIT motors. Before this civic I had a 16 wrx that I traded in and they are notorious for the fuel dilution. I usually go 5k on a change but was going to run 7500 or the full 10k on this car because I don't drive it hard, I bought it for mpg as my daily. I might try changing the oil though because I already have everything to do it and I could go with the 5k intervals like always. Mine usually lasts around 10 seconds or so as well by the way.

Thanks!
Well, I'm not sure if normal/conservative driving habits are good for this motor. First 4500miles (before I had the oil changed) I was really babying it (I have manual trans and was shifting early with rpm being in 2-3K range only). So I figured perhaps it was throwing richer air/fuel mixture which and that's why some fuel just wasn't being able to burn. But given the fact that it is DI this theory is probably not correct. The other theory I have is that the engine is tuned to inject super rich mixture just to keep the cylinder temp down to prevent LSPI, this kind of a trade off - yes, oil is getting diluted but LSPI is not an issue at the same time. No clue what really is going on in that engine. lol
But yes, check your oil, get it changed and moving forward go by real oil condition not by my milage on it. Perhaps do the UOI just too see how your metals and vis look like (in case they look bad you have something on hand to show to Dealer/Honda corporate).

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag

Thanks!
Oh, and another thing I forgot to mention: I'm driving it kind of hard now (nothing crazy - no redlining) keeping that rpm at around 3-4K mark all the time - looks like this is the most comfortable range for that motor. Want to see if that will make any difference in terms of fuel dilution severity. So far 700miles on Ams SS.

OP
OP

Zdiver

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Oh, and another thing I forgot to mention: I'm driving it kind of hard now (nothing crazy - no redlining) keeping that rpm at around 3-4K mark all the time - looks like this is the most comfortable range for that motor. Want to see if that will make any difference in terms of fuel dilution severity. So far 700miles on Ams SS.
How much has that affected your gas mileage? I drive a ton which is why I made the switch to this car, I've had the car since middle/end of march and already have nearly 5k.

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
How much has that affected your gas mileage? I drive a ton which is why I made the switch to this car, I've had the car since middle/end of march and already have nearly 5k.
Well, it didn't really dropped much. I still do fair amount of highway driving (80miles a day) and last two fill ups I avergaed 36-37mpg. Prior to the change in driving style I was getting 38-40mpg, depending on how bad the houston traffic was. So, It doesn't seem to be that much worse. I have the car since late Feb and already 5.5K lol.

rgmcmxci

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic HB EX-L w/Navi
I have had my first oil change and I used synthetic and still have the same issue.
Sponsored