Cold start engine noise

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR - 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec
Country flag
So I’ve had this noise for while and it “only” happens when car has been off for awhile and cold (liquids etc all settled). I’m taking it it and dropping it off at dealer Wednesday morning but wanted to see if you guys could hear it. It may be a little hard to hear over cell video but it’s def there and more prominent in person. Turn volume up and listen over the injectors. Any ideas? It’s like a knocking/vibrating noise. I’m not referring to the injectors either.

I have changed the oil and filter already.
I had this noise when I was bone stock.
It goes away when car is warm, only happens on cold starts.
Sponsored

OP
OP
elusiveaura

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Took to dealer and of course after having the car all day they said it’s normal operation. They hear it but say they can’t do anything because they don’t see it as a problem. I call complete bs but idk what to do at this point if they’re saying it’s normal. I don’t believe it is. Can anyone else chime in? They have it documented as a fuel pump noise that is operating under normal conditions.

So I’ve had this noise for while and it “only” happens when car has been off for awhile and cold (liquids etc all settled). I’m taking it it and dropping it off at dealer Wednesday morning but wanted to see if you guys could hear it. It may be a little hard to hear over cell video but it’s def there and more prominent in person. Turn volume up and listen over the injectors. Any ideas? It’s like a knocking/vibrating noise. I’m not referring to the injectors either.

I have changed the oil and filter already.
I had this noise when I was bone stock.
It goes away when car is warm, only happens on cold starts.

mikeshin92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic Touring
Country flag
Are you talking about the noise over the injectors that sound like a knock? If that's the case, I recall another member posting a question about it and never found the answer. I have that noise on cold starts as well. The funny thing is, if you're in park, it does not make the noise, once you're in drive it will. My best guess is that it's related to the CVT, possibly the CVT chain making the noise because the weather is so damn cold. The noise goes away after a few mins of driving, so I never worried about it too much.

OP
OP
elusiveaura

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I hear it at idle and not driving. It goes away once car is warm. I also don’t have a CVT. I have an SI. And yes, it sounds like a small vibration/knock over the injectors.

Are you talking about the noise over the injectors that sound like a knock? If that's the case, I recall another member posting a question about it and never found the answer. I have that noise on cold starts as well. The funny thing is, if you're in park, it does not make the noise, once you're in drive it will. My best guess is that it's related to the CVT, possibly the CVT chain making the noise because the weather is so damn cold. The noise goes away after a few mins of driving, so I never worried about it too much.

OP
OP
elusiveaura

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Can anyone chime in on this noise please or give me any ideas on what it could be? Surely someone has an idea lol

I hear it at idle and not driving. It goes away once car is warm. I also don’t have a CVT. I have an SI. And yes, it sounds like a small vibration/knock over the injectors.

SCcivic

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 300zx 2012 Corolla S 2018 Civic Hatchback 1.5L Turbo
Country flag
on my 18 civic hatch I hear a like metal rattle or like the sound of a marble being dropped in a metal pipe. it only happens for like 10 sec or less on a cold start. also, your video is down.

SiDude2017

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Did this noise ever get resolved? I have a 2017 si with almost 9000 miles and have tapping/ticking noise (not injector noise) when the engine is cold. It is really prominent when things settle down to idle (~700 rpm). Once I drive for about twenty minutes and things warm up the sound does go away. I dropped it of at the dealer for a couple of days and they said this noise appears to be normal.

OP
OP
elusiveaura

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Dealer told me the noise was due to the high pressure fuel pump and said it was normal. Sold the car in June. Have an R now. No noise like that.

Did this noise ever get resolved? I have a 2017 si with almost 9000 miles and have tapping/ticking noise (not injector noise) when the engine is cold. It is really prominent when things settle down to idle (~700 rpm). Once I drive for about twenty minutes and things warm up the sound does go away. I dropped it of at the dealer for a couple of days and they said this noise appears to be normal.

SiDude2017

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Thanks. They gave me the same story about it either being the high pressure fuel pump or purge valve.
Plenty of drive train warantee left, so we shall see...

kc0508

First Name
Mino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic FC
Country flag
Did you find out what it was? I have a CVT and have the exact same problem. When I shift to D and start to move I here that tick-tick sound. Just twice and goes away.
Sponsored