Cold start engine noise, getting the runaround from local dealers

shamusl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
For a few months I have been getting this noise when I cold start the car in the morning. It has gotten worse over time, and two local dealers have said they cant duplicate the issue.

At first, it only happened some of the time, only lasting about 5 seconds and was quieter, but now it happens 95-99% of the time and it is much louder and lasts about 30 seconds to a minute.

Any ideas on what this noise could be? It has since gotten louder and lasts longer. I thought it could be a heatshield rattle but theres nothing loose anywhere. My other thought is an issue with the valves/timing system. The car has all the most recent TSBs/recalls done and has less than 10k miles, and is a 2017.

Sponsored

SCcivic

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 300zx 2012 Corolla S 2018 Civic Hatchback 1.5L Turbo
Country flag
My 2018 HB does the same thing since I bought the car. Purchased it with 3 miles. Now has 8,000 miles and I still have the same noise as you.

My civic doesn't have any TSBs or recalls.

CVCTURBO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6M
Country flag
For a few months I have been getting this noise when I cold start the car in the morning. It has gotten worse over time, and two local dealers have said they cant duplicate the issue.

At first, it only happened some of the time, only lasting about 5 seconds and was quieter, but now it happens 95-99% of the time and it is much louder and lasts about 30 seconds to a minute.

Any ideas on what this noise could be? It has since gotten louder and lasts longer. I thought it could be a heatshield rattle but theres nothing loose anywhere. My other thought is an issue with the valves/timing system. The car has all the most recent TSBs/recalls done and has less than 10k miles, and is a 2017.

I really think it's just the injectors or valvetrain. These engines are noisey AF in general unfortunately

OP
OP

shamusl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I really think it's just the injectors or valvetrain. These engines are noisey AF in general unfortunately
It's noisy, but that's not what's bothering me. When its colder outside that rattling noise is about twice as loud. It just doesn't sound healthy to me at all, and its definitely gotten worse

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
Sound just like my Civic and every Honda...

airgas1998

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' civic touring sedan
Country flag
early production 17' owner here....same noise I have. this noise has been around for awhile that's for sure.

OP
OP

shamusl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
For reference, this is what it used to sound like every single start, but now about 4/5 starts are the other noise. Here, everything is perfect. Direct injection is noisy, but I'm not complaining about DI noises. I know what I signed up for.

I only drive the car short trips, and from the Canadian TSB for oil dilution it mentioned an issue about ice forming around the camshaft was a rare thing that could happen, messing up the timing and sounding like the other above starting noise. At least, that's my theory.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
Wow, this was the first thread that I saw when coming to this forum. It's actually the reason why I was coming here too. Mine is having this same exact issue so thanks for posting the video. I was planning on taking it to the dealership today to see what they say.

CVCTURBO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6M
Country flag
For reference, this is what it used to sound like every single start, but now about 4/5 starts are the other noise. Here, everything is perfect. Direct injection is noisy, but I'm not complaining about DI noises. I know what I signed up for.

I only drive the car short trips, and from the Canadian TSB for oil dilution it mentioned an issue about ice forming around the camshaft was a rare thing that could happen, messing up the timing and sounding like the other above starting noise. At least, that's my theory.

Thanks for the second video. I can hear the difference better now. So from working on cars as a tech for 10yrs it kind of sounds like the A/C clutch. Have u tried starting it with the AC already on and then starting it with it off? Sound differently?

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
If it’s the A/C clutch, he should be able to control that sound by turning off the climate control system. To me, it just sounds like a shield rattle. Mine still sounds fine, but I’m only at 35k after 3 years...

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
Here's mine that I mentioned from yesterday. Took this this morning.

OP
OP

shamusl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Here's mine that I mentioned from yesterday. Took this this morning.

I got my car over to another Honda dealer 100 miles away. They heard the video and immediately agreed that the car shouldn't be making that noise. I guess it's wait and see time, but hopefully they fix it, and I'll let you know what was responsible.

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
mine sounds exactly the same on cold start. drive on, forget about it. don't fix it if it aint broken

darkness975

dream reaper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Country flag
I have no idea if mine does this or not although I have heard weird noises now and then.

My OCD nature is tough, I find myself having to consciously not worry about every rattle or sound I hear or I'll never sleep. :confused:

But I will have to see if I hear this sound (normally I remote start from inside - thus far I have not heard it though).
Sponsored