Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
I’m still waiting to buy mine but my friend got one on its way and my question is this.

Have you noticed any power gains ? Without k tuner or any type of tune ?

If so what do you think horsepower wise you made?
Sponsored

omens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Honda Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Gains to be made are super minimal and not at all noticeable with an intake. What you're really getting is a whoosh noise and if you get something like a PRL Cobra it will help keep your temps down which is extremely valuable in maintaining power and reducing heat soak.

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
The only gain you'll notice is throttle response. The maybe 10hp isn't something you'll feel.

Frank Rallye

First Name
Francesco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC X SPORT+
Country flag
A technical question:
Which process inside the intake module generate the whoosh noise/air release whistle? :pickme:

Pope

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Is this for a 2.0 N/A engine or 1.5 turbo? It may be good for a few HP on a 2.0. As for a 1.5, you take cold air and compress it and it will get hot, that is what the after cooler is for. In a 1.5, your best bet may be to get a more free flow aftercooler.

gatorcivic

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
I’m still waiting to buy mine but my friend got one on its way and my question is this.

Have you noticed any power gains ? Without k tuner or any type of tune ?

If so what do you think horsepower wise you made?
@U.S.C Do you have any other mods on your car?

If you are buying a cold air intake for power it is not worth it at all.

KTuner 1.2 runs about $450, cold air intake looks to be around $400. KTuner would be a wayyyyyyyyyyy better purchase if you are looking for power gains. You will get +30 hp and +50 ft lbs of torque. A cold air intake would maybe give you 5hp at high rpm.

I bought the PRL Short Ram intake after KTuner mostly for the woosh sound and I can say that it does not disappoint, especially when accelerating hard the whoosh sound and blow off sound is amazing. My intake temps are about the same as the stock intake. If I am sitting at a light for a while yes it does get hot, maybe 60 degrees over ambient, but once I get moving even 20mph it goes back down to about 30 degrees over ambient. With a cold air intake you will probably get intake temps just a couple degrees over ambient based on what others on the forum have said. This would net you maybe a couple hp at high revs, but an aftermarket intercooler would bring down the temp of the air going to your engine thus giving you more power than a cold air intake would.

Did I gain a few hp with a short ram intake? Maybe. Did I lose a few hp due to heat soak when I am sitting at a stoplight not moving? Maybe. I can't tell a difference at all with the butt dyno, my guess is that I maybe gained 3-4hp because it is less restrictive at high rpm. However the whoosh noises make me feel like I gained 30hp, and that I am going faster and having more fun, and that is what counts :thumbsup:

chanman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R - Champ White
Country flag
I always thought the PRL CAI Cobra out of the box and no tune on the Si produced ~15-18hp?

OP
OP
U.S.C

U.S.C

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
@U.S.C Do you have any other mods on your car?

If you are buying a cold air intake for power it is not worth it at all.

KTuner 1.2 runs about $450, cold air intake looks to be around $400. KTuner would be a wayyyyyyyyyyy better purchase if you are looking for power gains. You will get +30 hp and +50 ft lbs of torque. A cold air intake would maybe give you 5hp at high rpm.

I bought the PRL Short Ram intake after KTuner mostly for the woosh sound and I can say that it does not disappoint, especially when accelerating hard the whoosh sound and blow off sound is amazing. My intake temps are about the same as the stock intake. If I am sitting at a light for a while yes it does get hot, maybe 60 degrees over ambient, but once I get moving even 20mph it goes back down to about 30 degrees over ambient. With a cold air intake you will probably get intake temps just a couple degrees over ambient based on what others on the forum have said. This would net you maybe a couple hp at high revs, but an aftermarket intercooler would bring down the temp of the air going to your engine thus giving you more power than a cold air intake would.

Did I gain a few hp with a short ram intake? Maybe. Did I lose a few hp due to heat soak when I am sitting at a stoplight not moving? Maybe. I can't tell a difference at all with the butt dyno, my guess is that I maybe gained 3-4hp because it is less restrictive at high rpm. However the whoosh noises make me feel like I gained 30hp, and that I am going faster and having more fun, and that is what counts :thumbsup:
I don’t want to tune my car because of many issues I have seen and it would mess my warranty up. That’s the only reason I haven’t got it already.

geeeek

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
I always thought the PRL CAI Cobra out of the box and no tune on the Si produced ~15-18hp?
The dyno graphs on prl’s cai page show huge gains, but based on the baseline car’s numbers (stock air box) the rest of the car clearly isn’t stock. I’d think that for an actually stock car the gains would be much less.. or else everyone wouldn’t be saying cai is basically only for sound

UnknownCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR SGP, Mercedes-Benz 2014 C250
Country flag
If you're only considering power gains, you would probably be disappointed.
To me, the pro's are:
  1. Better throttle response
  2. Can clean cone filter, instead of replacing OEM filter.
  3. Bling!

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
If you're only considering power gains, you would probably be disappointed.
To me, the pro's are:
  1. Better throttle response
  2. Can clean cone filter, instead of replacing OEM filter.
  3. Bling!
You forgot the best part! The sound lol

Rayzorman1

I bleed Honda red.......
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport Touring Hatchback, 2019 Type R. 2021 CRV Black Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
From an efficiency/pure logic/bang for the buck, Hondata or K-Tuner is the best Mod by a landslide.... That said, from a smile perspective, I really love the sound from the PRL CAI. It's very cool....LOL

chanman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R - Champ White
Country flag
The dyno graphs on prl’s cai page show huge gains, but based on the baseline car’s numbers (stock air box) the rest of the car clearly isn’t stock. I’d think that for an actually stock car the gains would be much less.. or else everyone wouldn’t be saying cai is basically only for sound
yeah I noticed that from their site.. the baseline they used with the PRL CAI on the dyno was with having Hondata on there along with the other mods... I wonder if theres anyone here that has a dyno pull with just the stock PRL CAI n no other mods?

hfpdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch 2017 M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Gains to be made are super minimal and not at all noticeable with an intake. What you're really getting is a whoosh noise and if you get something like a PRL Cobra it will help keep your temps down which is extremely valuable in maintaining power and reducing heat soak.
exactly this answer
Sponsored