Coilovers vs Springs

Tzfng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Civic Hatch ST
Country flag
Im sure this question has probably been asked before but I couldn't find anything using the search function.

I don't plan on tracking my car but I want it lowered.

I find the stock suspension to be too soft especially when you do tight turns. I originally had my mind set on a set of coilovers (most likely the Tein Flex Z) but having second thoughts now that my financial situation has changed.

Can anyone who has tried both springs and coilovers chime in on this?

If I'm getting springs, I would most likely get that along with the rear swaybar and I believe this would still be more afforadable than a set of coils.
Sponsored

AmaiX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
Im sure this question has probably been asked before but I couldn't find anything using the search function.

I don't plan on tracking my car but I want it lowered.

I find the stock suspension to be too soft especially when you do tight turns. I originally had my mind set on a set of coilovers (most likely the Tein Flex Z) but having second thoughts now that my financial situation has changed.

Can anyone who has tried both springs and coilovers chime in on this?

If I'm getting springs, I would most likely get that along with the rear swaybar and I believe this would still be more afforadable than a set of coils.
Currently FKs have no aftermaket struts or shocks. Springs would be the affordable route for now, but eventually down the road you'll have to replace the shocks and struts which is pretty pricey. I"ll be installing my bc coilvers, I paid about $950usd

OP
OP

Tzfng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Civic Hatch ST
Country flag
Currently FKs have no aftermaket struts or shocks. Springs would be the affordable route for now, but eventually down the road you'll have to replace the shocks and struts which is pretty pricey. I"ll be installing my bc coilvers, I paid about $950usd
I think I've seen people talk about koni coming out with struts.

When you say down the road, how long would that generally be?

AmaiX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
I think I've seen people talk about koni coming out with struts.

When you say down the road, how long would that generally be?
I haven’t been on this forum for that long, but I’ve seen people talking about Koni for the last 3 years with no eta.

dellyjoughnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner, '19 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
How I view this... Am I going to put in larger tyres that necessitate the need to get coilovers because the front struts do not allow tyres beyond a certain width and height? I know it's possible to fit 245/40R18 on stock equipment and possibly 245/45R18 to have a softer and better chance of pothole survival.

dc0321

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic hatchback sport
Country flag
don't really have specific answer to how long your oem shocks will survive after u lower it.all depend on how low and the spring rating , also the road quality or condition that you are driving on.

Yonder

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wouldnt bother with Coilovers if you arent planning to be obsessive about dialing in the handling haha.

My current setup is still less than the Tein coilovers and handling has been very much improved.
2 biggest benefits from coilovers is going to be the adjustable front camber and adjustable dampers. As you will be able to adjust on the fly to try and find the best alignment specs that suit your driving style. Although you'll still have to fork out some cash after the coilovers to get a rear camber kit, which will correct the negative camber you'll achieve from the drop itself. Too much rear negative camber vs the front will induce understeer and hurt your overall handling. Since you arent going to be tracking/autox the car, adjusting your front/rear camber for peak handling is almost pointless, since you arent really going to push the car to its limits. Your money would be better spent else where on the car.

For the casual spirited driver who wants to improve aesthetics, along with handling but spend a lot less money...
1.) Stiffer lowering Springs
2.) rear camber kit
3.) bigger Rear sway bar (you can hold off on this as the first 2, along with the alignment will help a ton... but a bigger rear bar is going to help a lot with less body roll, the rear rotating and having a bit better turn in)
4.) alignment

2 & 4 are probably the most important as that alignment, along with camber kit that will give you the ability to change your rear camber specs to optimize handling. Just need the right alignment specs, which will make all the mods be used to their full potential.

I will add... Once it's time to get new tires this is where you will see the MOST improvement in handling cause even though all these mods are great, bad tires can nullify their potential.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Tzfng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Civic Hatch ST
Country flag
I wouldnt bother with Coilovers if you arent planning to be obsessive about dialing in the handling haha.

My current setup is still less than the Tein coilovers and handling has been very much improved.
2 biggest benefits from coilovers is going to be the adjustable front camber and adjustable dampers. As you will be able to adjust on the fly to try and find the best alignment specs that suit your driving style. Although you'll still have to fork out some cash after the coilovers to get a rear camber kit, which will correct the negative camber you'll achieve from the drop itself. Too much rear negative camber vs the front will induce understeer and hurt your overall handling. Since you arent going to be tracking/autox the car, adjusting your front/rear camber for peak handling is almost pointless, since you arent really going to push the car to its limits. Your money would be better spent else where on the car.

For the casual spirited driver who wants to improve aesthetics, along with handling but spend a lot less money...
1.) Stiffer lowering Springs
2.) rear camber kit
3.) bigger Rear sway bar (you can hold off on this as the first 2, along with the alignment will help a ton... but a bigger rear bar is going to help a lot with less body roll, the rear rotating and having a bit better turn in)
4.) alignment

2 & 4 are probably the most important as that alignment, along with camber kit that will give you the ability to change your rear camber specs to optimize handling. Just need the right alignment specs, which will make all the mods be used to their full potential.

I will add... Once it's time to get new tires this is where you will see the MOST improvement in handling cause even though all these mods are great, bad tires can nullify their potential.
Thanks for detailed input. Ill probably go down the route you suggested.

I see alot of people on either Eiback or D2 springs. Someone mentioned H&R springs are the stiffest. What do you think?

Yonder

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for detailed input. Ill probably go down the route you suggested.

I see alot of people on either Eiback or D2 springs. Someone mentioned H&R springs are the stiffest. What do you think?
Depends on what you're looking for regarding aftermarket wheels and the specs of those wheels. Do you plan to get wheels and tires? its tough to say cause, As much as i love handling performance... i love aesthetics too. i was going for the old honda Kanjo track style, so 17's with fat tires along with very minimal wheel gap was a must lol the d2's low drop and 20% increase in spring rate were the middle ground i was looking for, without getting coilovers. Gave up a bit of stiffness for looks and couldn't be more happy. If i were to do it all over again tho, i'd go with my same wheel setup of 17x9 +40 buuuuut 265/40/17R's on Swift Spec R's, as they are the stiffest on the market (at least in the rear lol) but the overall diameter of that setup (643.8mm) would be closer to the stock diameter of 645mm. The 1.1" drop from swift would have met my goals but at the time there was very little info or pics of 255/40's on 17's because everyone was running no wider than 245's on 18's ... so 265 wasnt even close to being in the equation lol

@Mr.Apex
Put together a great master guide with a lot of people from the forum sharing specs and general input on what springs they have. I think you'll find this very useful and good luck... Link below.
https://www.civicx.com/threads/civic-si-lowering-springs-master-guide.46422/
Sponsored