Codes reader

pumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018vic
Country flag
what type of code reader do i need for a 2018 civic 2.0L ?

i dont have any issues right now, but i plan on keeping this car for its entire lifetime, and i like to DIY as much as possible, so i will need it sooner or later

anybody know of a specific brand that is good and reasonably priced?
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
OP
OP

pumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018vic
Country flag
thanks all,

is there any real differences between lets say a $40 unit as opposed to a $100 unit?

i don't mind paying more money if it has features that will benefit me, but don't want to waste money if it doesn't

also, what kind do i need?...i am assuming its OBD2 ??

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
I got a different Autel that has more DIY functions: Autel MaxiAP AP200 Obd2 Scanner Bluetooth Auto OBDII Diagnostic Scan Tool for ios & Android, Full System Car Check Engine Light Code Reader with 25 Se https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QD4GZW4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_We6mbdtEeb7XD
If you’re going to service the car yourself this I think is the one to go with.

if I’m not mistaken from what I recall this not only reads codesbut allows you to retract the rear brake pistons to service your brakes.

Perhaps someone can verify that?

Also on sale too. I don’t plan on doing brakes just yet so I might wait as there may be newer updates by the time I actually need this tool.

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
If you’re going to service the car yourself this I think is the one to go with.

if I’m not mistaken from what I recall this not only reads codesbut allows you to retract the rear brake pistons to service your brakes.

Perhaps someone can verify that?

Also on sale too. I don’t plan on doing brakes just yet so I might wait as there may be newer updates by the time I actually need this tool.
Can confirm. Parking brake service mode, steering angle calibration and more

bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag
I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would want to turbocharge the 2L instead of just buying the 1.5T in the first place. Sure, it can be done but is it worth it? No.
I got a different Autel that has more DIY functions: Autel MaxiAP AP200 Obd2 Scanner Bluetooth Auto OBDII Diagnostic Scan Tool for ios & Android, Full System Car Check Engine Light Code Reader with 25 Se https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QD4GZW4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_We6mbdtEeb7XD
Oof.. bit more expensive than what I usually paid for.. how is it? I was under the impression that it was the App being used in conjunction was the critical link with items like these..??
thanks all,

is there any real differences between lets say a $40 unit as opposed to a $100 unit?

i don't mind paying more money if it has features that will benefit me, but don't want to waste money if it doesn't

also, what kind do i need?...i am assuming its OBD2 ??
Yes, OBD0 & OBD1 don't really have apps or many options for GUI. I usually bought $15-$20 OBD2 BT readers and ($5) TorquePro.apk, Love it tremendously. Lots of options involved..
Can confirm. Parking brake service mode, steering angle calibration and more
..wait, WHAT?! o_O

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
I bought the Autel 200 I linked above specifically so I could do brake service. For 60 bucks it is well worth it. Read codes, clear codes, service functions, view live data as you’re driving down the road, etc.

OP
OP

pumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018vic
Country flag
I bought the Autel 200 I linked above specifically so I could do brake service. For 60 bucks it is well worth it. Read codes, clear codes, service functions, view live data as you’re driving down the road, etc.
thanks, it sounds like that is worth the extra money

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
+1 for Autel 200. Also bought it for rear brake service.

You buy it and it can read any codes from any car like a normal code reader. It gives you the option of 1 car brand so you can perform specific functions for that car brand. Obviously in this case Honda so you can perform the maintenance mode on the rear EPB. You can get more car brands added but those you have to pay a yearly subscription for

OP
OP

pumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018vic
Country flag

You buy it and it can read any codes from any car like a normal code reader. It gives you the option of 1 car brand so you can perform specific functions for that car brand. Obviously in this case Honda so you can perform the maintenance mode on the rear EPB. You can get more car brands added but those you have to pay a yearly subscription for
thanks,

i think i will go with this one then,

i don't plan on doing rear brakes anytime soon, but when that day eventually comes, i will be glad i bought this :thumbsup:

OP
OP

pumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018vic
Country flag

is this the scanner you are talking about?.....

https://www.amazon.ca/Scanner-Bluet...ld=1&keywords=Autel+200&qid=1607635069&sr=8-4

is there a yearly fee to use this product/app??

also, what is the difference between the code reader in my above link, and the one here......

https://www.amazon.ca/Autel-Bluetoo...7RNR8EJJK75&psc=1&refRID=RCVWTCD757RNR8EJJK75

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
is this the scanner you are talking about?.....

https://www.amazon.ca/Scanner-Bluet...ld=1&keywords=Autel+200&qid=1607635069&sr=8-4

is there a yearly fee to use this product/app??

also, what is the difference between the code reader in my above link, and the one here......

https://www.amazon.ca/Autel-Bluetoo...7RNR8EJJK75&psc=1&refRID=RCVWTCD757RNR8EJJK75
Your first link for the AP200 is the correct one (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QD4GZW4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1&fpw=alm). No fees required for the first make of vehicle (e.g. Honda). If you want to use this scanner on a second make of vehicle, then you'd need to pay a fee to download that make's functions.

Your second link for the AP200M, has less features and requires a $20/yr fee.
Sponsored