Coast in gear or in neutral?

MaineDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Manual, 2012 CR-V
Country flag
I've got a '17 EX-T (6M), and I coast in neutral all I can. Note this is a Manual (I would never bump into neutral driving an automatic!)

Efficient? Well, the car is rated at 31 city and 42 highway, right?

My cumulative mpg (some 10,600 miles) is 43.5 mpg in city, rural and Interstate driving through snow, ice & rain here in Maine; six weeks in 100+ degree summer in Oklahoma with the AC cranking 24/7 in stop-and-go city driving; and everything else in between.

On a trip to Canada in June, I had a tank that finished at 50.6 mpg.

Love the car, love the peppy performance and love the gas mileage!

TheCodifier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Well then that's the automatic tranny and not even relevant. You can't coast in neutral in an auto, I would never do that. This discussion is about the manual tranny...
The same principle applies no matter if the transmission is auto or manual. I drove manual for the last 7 years and I always drove down hills in gear to take advantage of DFCO and engine resistance.

myke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatchback LX 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The same principle applies no matter if the transmission is auto or manual. I drove manual for the last 7 years and I always drove down hills in gear to take advantage of DFCO and engine resistance.
I guess, but shifting back into gear while moving isn't good for an auto tranny...

Dannybles

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic hatch ex
Country flag
Is there any way to just turn the engine braking off so you can keep in gear but not increase rpms and not lose momentum?
i dont whant the exstra were and i whant to gane momentum.

casper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Sport Hatchback (6MT)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Is there any way to just turn the engine braking off so you can keep in gear but not increase rpms and not lose momentum?
i dont whant the exstra were and i whant to gane momentum.
Not sure what you’re trying to ask.

In a manual transmission, you want to be in the appropriate gear for the situation as much as humanly possible. Coasting in neutral is dangerous and should only need to be used in very very low speed situations (like parking) or the moment before coming to a complete stop.

If you’re asking about a CVT then maybe you can override the automatic behaviors by manually “downshifting”, but not sure if that answers your question.

Dannybles

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic hatch ex
Country flag
Not sure what you’re trying to ask.

In a manual transmission, you want to be in the appropriate gear for the situation as much as humanly possible. Coasting in neutral is dangerous and should only need to be used in very very low speed situations (like parking) or the moment before coming to a complete stop.

If you’re asking about a CVT then maybe you can override the automatic behaviors by manually “downshifting”, but not sure if that answers your question.
I just want as little resistance going downhill as possible. But I should have said it's a CVT. down shifting would be the opposit of what I want.

best way to put it, is there any way to keep RPMS low going down hill?

casper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Sport Hatchback (6MT)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I just want as little resistance going downhill as possible. But I should have said it's a CVT. down shifting would be the opposit of what I want.

best way to put it, is there any way to keep RPMS low going down hill?
I meant use the “manual” mode to keep the car in the “gear” that you want. If you don’t downshift you’ll have lower RPMs.

Dannybles

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic hatch ex
Country flag
I meant use the “manual” mode to keep the car in the “gear” that you want. If you don’t downshift you’ll have lower RPMs.
Oh well, it doesn't have pads.
Sponsored