CNET's Roadshow - Civic vs. Elantra vs. Corolla

ThrillHill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Great video but they did not include the new Nissan Sentra in the lineup. I think that would have also been a contender. Nothing from Mazda either. I'm waiting for the Hatch or, preferably the Civic Hatch SI with an auto trans. I have diabetic neuropathy and had to sell my last Honda SI because I could not "feel" the pedals well enough. I somehow manage the 911 I have but it is ancient and rarely goes out of the garage. Please Honda, give us the SI we are waiting for.

Yeah, fun to watch, but I'm not going to sit here and pretend a Mazda 3 isn't a contender (for the record, I think I made a better choice with the 2016 Honda Civic, but still)

As for Toyota, with Corolla sales the way they are, Toyota's stance is probably if it ain't broke...

Eventually (perhaps even this year!) Civic will hopefully beat out Corolla in sales here in the US, but it certainly isn't guaranteed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billy4202

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, fun to watch, but I'm not going to sit here and pretend a Mazda 3 isn't a contender (for the record, I think I made a better choice with the 2016 Honda Civic, but still)

As for Toyota, with Corolla sales the way there, their stance is probably if it ain't broke...

Eventually (perhaps even this year!) Civic will hopefully beat out Corolla in sales here in the US, but it certainly isn't guaranteed.
They totally are the Civic's closest competitor. I was eyeing a Grand Touring S Hatch for the longest time before the Civic came out.

Regi_Derrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Country flag
The Cruze should have been included too! From all the reviews I have read (and the few comparison tests I've seen) the new Cruze is rated higher than both the Corolla and the Elantra.

I'd take the Civic over them all, Mazda3 included...though the Mazda3 is a CLOSE second.

DeKay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Civic
Country flag
Yeah, fun to watch, but I'm not going to sit here and pretend a Mazda 3 isn't a contender
If it weren't for all the road noise in the Mazda, I'd have bought one before the 10th gens came out. But that put me off enough to see what Honda has coming in the five door hatch.

Ryude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I actually traded in a 2015 mazda3 for my civic EX-T. The problems I had with the mazda3 were mostly to do with the cramped interior, small trunk, lack of passing power (2.0L automatic), and the numerous recalls and/or expensive maintenance ($85 every 5,000 miles).

And imho, the mazda3 didn't handle any better than the civic. It definitely was louder and rougher though.

OTD price I paid for my mazda3 was $21,292. My OTD for the civic EX-T was $24,765 (bought maintenance plan and paint protection).

Last edited:

HardNFast14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Turbo (EX-T)
The corolla is a huge let down when it comes to driver enjoyment. I have a 2015 corolla and got the dealer to install 17 inch wheels with Yokohama summer tires before I went to pick it up; it didn't help much. Lifeless steering which you can turn with one pinkie, overly soft suspension, understeers like a truck. New civic X on the way so wont have to put up with it for much longer!

Have no experience with the Mazda3 but had a mazda6 rental for a few months and was really impressed its a very good car.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
I think the Civic and Corolla both do .82g on the skidpad.

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honestly, it all comes down to preference. Toyota lovers are gonna say Corolla, Honda lovers are gonna say Civic, Hyundai lovers are gonna say Elantra.

Ant918

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
My girlfriends got a 2015Mazda 3. SUPER cramped interior, the thing is tiny! The tech doesn't feel that great, not a fan of the infotainment and no backup camera is a big turn off for me, although I'm sure the 2016 probably has one. I drove it the other day and had the gas floored and felt like I was going nowhere lol.

ThrillHill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag

Last edited: