CNET's Roadshow - Civic vs. Elantra vs. Corolla

timt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
The Civic Sedan is more fun to drive than the other 2, but will need to fix or implement some minor improvements come next year to maintain its lead over other compacts: (1) make it easier to get in/out (both front & esp. rear) (2) replace the volume control with a knob and improve the infotainment system for easier access to its features (3) blind spot monitoring w/ or w/o Lamewatch (4) soften up the interior and exterior designs (5) Honda Sensing is too limited now - add self-parking, improve LKAS detection and correction, and extend the allowed duration without steering input (6) add dash cam as default. I'd be willing to pay several $100s more for the above enhancements, if I were interested in a newer model.
Sponsored

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ive driven most of the compact class competition and for me the civic wins out pretty easily. The corolla is a lifeless appliance for people who don't drive for enjoyment but just to get from A to B. Simple as that. The mazda3, while great, was louder and i don't like how the gas pedal/throttle in mazdas operate, you have to floor it to get any kind of power out of them. The Hyundai/Kia offerings are almost identical with the kia winning out in performance, but the hyundai wins with it's interior. The VW golf handles great, has great power, but is expensive and lacks tons of features found on the civic and mazda and isn't nearly as reliable. And i don't typically look at american cars, they've gotten much better in recent years, but still suffer from sub par reliability. I've heard the focus is a good match in terms of performance of the mazda and civic, but after only a few years they already look dated to me, again, reliability is an issue long term. The new cruze looks nice, feels nice, but is letdown in the performance department, great car if you're looking for something more luxury oriented and softer. Dont even get me started on the failure that is the dodge dart.

The civic has the best combination of power, handling, fun to drive attitude, comfortable/quiet ride, features, price point, efficiency, style and reliability. While it may not necessarily master any one quality, it is certainly an experienced jack of all trades and is still class leading in many.

ThrillHill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Honestly, it all comes down to preference. Toyota lovers are gonna say Corolla, Honda lovers are gonna say Civic, Hyundai lovers are gonna say Elantra.
I hear what you're saying, but I was a believer in Mazda (still am to an exent) but the new Civic really won me over in terms of features/performance/price. Corporations only care about my money, so I feel no need for loyalty along those lines unless there's an established track record of quality and reliability. When I was looking for a car the last time around, I found a better deal with Mazda, and the car was pretty reliable so I ended up going in that direction.

PolishedLX

Banned
Where were fighter jets to stop vegas shooting?
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
"50/50 kid" but on the "right side" of coin flip!
Vehicle(s)
The car that made all others obsolete, "doh, self-explanatory"
Country flag
I think the 16s inch wheels on the base LX hatch look better than what looks to be 17 inch on the higher or highest trim Corollas.

HoosierDriver

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima 10, Chrysler Town Country 12
In case anyone needs further validation that they've made the right choice (spoiler alert!) Civic won, again.

Since I'm car shopping right now & have driven all 3, I generally agree with CNET's comments. As equipped the Civic & Elantra Limited are no traditional 'econoboxes', but then at ~ US$27k neither are the prices. Civic wins overall with better handling and generally upscale feeling styling (in & out). The Elantra Limited is a different personality- 'luxury'-oriented with smooth quiet ride at cruise (louder on acceleration). CNET failed to mention that the Elantra Ltd has some upscale features Civic does not offer (like memory driver's seat & HEIGHT-ADJUSTABLE power front seat), and the Elantra's (at least in USA) are typically discounted deeply while Civic tends to sell closer to MSRP in most regions. Like $3k less now at my local dealers. The Corolla is a clear last place with bland driving dynamics and lesser feature set, however it is THOUSANDS cheaper yet- not really in the same price point at all. Unlike CNET assessment, IMHO practical truck space is similar (very good!) in both the Civic and Elantra.

So I agree the Civic is the overall best of these 3, although I can see how many might prefer the Elantra based on value/comfort/features (and reliability according to both Consumer Reports and J D Power). The Corolla, although very reliable, is a less expensive car and clearly trying to punch above its price class in this comparo.
Sponsored