GermanCivic

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just found another video of there the CMBS doesn't work as it probably should, it's from a CR-V but as far as I know it's the exact same system:

What do you think about that video?
Sponsored

rwsmith123

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
I just found another video of there the CMBS doesn't work as it probably should, it's from a CR-V but as far as I know it's the exact same system:

What do you think about that video?
The orange triangle at the back of the trailer was pretty much in the center of the lane at the point when the truck was almost completely around the corner and it calculated the object was still going to be in the lane, but for a human it’s obvious that it won’t be there.

My opinion, the driver should realize the system isn’t perfect and should have slowed down more when the system was giving the warning that it was going to stop the car if he didn’t, or be fine with the fact that it did. If they don’t like how the system handled the situation they can lower the sensitivity of it (if they haven’t already) or turn it of completely.

OP
OP
GermanCivic

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@rwsmith123
Good analysis, I would also lower the sensitivity. Mine is set to average and that's how it works fine for me at most situations.

bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag
i have had mine hit the brakes hard for a shadow on the road- twice. it has its good and bad points.
Mine actually did that to me yesterday on the interstate, had me tripping for a second. All it was is a bright day which caused a very defined dark shadow on the road from an exit sign.. ? Car screamed "BRAKE!!" twice and actually slammed the brakes too, was only a shadow and no cars were even anywhere close by..

OP
OP
GermanCivic

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@bcrichster
I'm glad no other driver from behind hit you. Do you have a dashcam, a video of that would be very interesting.

I have heard that this had happened beforey but I don't get it, I always thought the radar sensor and the video camera are working together with the CBMS.

I get it, the camera can recognize a shadow on the road as an object, but the radar sensor wouldn't do that. So does the CBMS really just get its input just from the camera?

bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag
@bcrichster
I'm glad no other driver from behind hit you. Do you have a dashcam, a video of that would be very interesting.

I have heard that this had happened beforey but I don't get it, I always thought the radar sensor and the video camera are working together with the CBMS.

I get it, the camera can recognize a shadow on the road as an object, but the radar sensor wouldn't do that. So does the CBMS really just get its input just from the camera?
Unfortunately I don't have any dash cams on my car, seriously considering it tho..

OP
OP
GermanCivic

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had a another situation with Honda's CBMS at a very low speed.

CBMS did not handle the situation as it should because when I hit the gas pedal, the car in front of me was already too far away, so I couldn't hit it anymore.

But that was too close for the CBMS, so the system gave it's warning beeps and hit the brakes for a short moment.

It was obviously my fault, I should have waited till the car was further away before accelerating.

briq4

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Where I live in New Jersey, they keep adding traffic circles, and nobody knows how to use them. One is at the entrance of a shopping center. I had maybe 1,000 miles on the car, and I was going into the shopping center and the car in front of me STOPPED completely at the circle. I was looking left at no traffic whatsoever so I didn't notice them stopping dead, if I had not had the CMBS I would have smashed right into them at like 30 MPH. Completely saved my ass.

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
CMBS I agree is a helpful feature but personally I don't like it. People in my area drive crazy all the time and I've had the system trigger a couple times and made me brake hard in traffic when there were cars behind me so I just put a window banner over the sensor and disabled it lol

haltamer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 (UK / RHD!)
Country flag
I've never really had any trouble with CMBS / Honda Sensing - If anything, I'd say the package is rather excellent - Better in fact than the majority of competitors, based on what I've heard (Certainly in terms of LKAS)

It's worth making sure that the settings are on "normal" and not hyper sensitive; but as long as you aren't driving like a lunatic you shouldn't get any completely false activations.

OP
OP
GermanCivic

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
CMBS I agree is a helpful feature but personally I don't like it. People in my area drive crazy all the time and I've had the system trigger a couple times and made me brake hard in traffic when there were cars behind me so I just put a window banner over the sensor and disabled it lol
Interring, maybe it was set to high sensitive in the settings? Or maybe you were driving a bit agressive? When driving attentive and defensive, nothing should ever trigger the system besides a situation in which it's necessary or a complete fault.

I have it activated it all the time and it doesn't trigger, even if someone cuts directly in front of me at high autobahn speeds.

But it will trigger if your tailgating and the person in front hots the brakes.

Close tailgating and slip stream driving is also not possible with CMBS activated but I guess that's a good thing. :D

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Interring, maybe it was set to high sensitive in the settings? Or maybe you were driving a bit agressive? When driving attentive and defensive, nothing should ever trigger the system besides a situation in which it's necessary or a complete fault.

I have it activated it all the time and it doesn't trigger, even if someone cuts directly in front of me at high autobahn speeds.

But it will trigger if your tailgating and the person in front hots the brakes.

Close tailgating and slip stream driving is also not possible with CMBS activated but I guess that's a good thing. :D
Yes I think it was set to high sensitivity along with aggressive driving

CMBS is a great thing to use and I'm glad that it's included in this generation. Just recently I've switched out my window banner to one that allows my sensing to work and it triggered twice in NYC traffic today (where you have to be bumper to bumper and close). Going to turn the sensitivity down to low today and see how it is, maybe I'll get used to it

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I have adjusted my driving (it came by itself, not by trying to do it on purpose) to the CMBS since over two years ago when I started driving this car. I also adjusted my habits to the way the CVT/turbo works, and it also came by itself.

Some people adapt slowly, some never adapt. I adjust quickly. It's called l e a r n i n g. Not only ECU's can learn. People (not all) can learn too. ;)

I set my CBMS 2.5 years ago, and haven't touched it since. I don't remember now if it's on medium or low.

The principle is the same as the Pavlov's dog thing. I drive, and the car punishes me or rewards me. If my CVT jerks or has a brain fart, I learn subconsciously to avoid what I did to lead to that. The car uses its whip to teach me. If my car screams BRAKE! at me, that'a punisment, and I subconsciously try not doing again what I did then. I don't get punished now at all. I'm being a good dog.

If I try to race someone, I learn to handle my throttle so that I get rewarded. I don't give a damn how it "should" work or how I want it to work, I only learn how to get the sausage, and I adapt automatically to how it works.

So when I drove fast on a narrow twisty road without shoulders just by my house, which has a steel barrier along, the BRAKE! would sometimas come on. So I adjusted my driving by starting to turn just a fraction earlier, in anticipation of the turn. Less lazy, smoother driving, and no more whipping from the car.

I never once had it actually brake on me, unless soo slightly I didn't even feel it.

I'm still aware the CMBS could have some faults in it, but I haven't seen nothing yet.
Sponsored