CMBS works properly on the german Autobahn [Dashcam Video]

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yesterday I was cruising at 130 kmh (81 mph) when it comes to a sudden stop in front of me. I hit the brakes immediately and put on the hazards to warn otheres behind me. Seems like the car thought I'm not braking hard enough, so the system hit the brakes much harder than I did. I think the Collision Mitigation Braking System did an excellent good job.
Asphalt was kind of hot at that time, the outside temperature was 30 degree Celsius (80 degree Fahrenheit).

Have you guys had any incidents or close calls were the CMBS did it's job?
Sponsored

OP
OP
GermanCivic

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm not 100% sure but isn't there a menu in the head unit, where you can change the sensitiy of the collision warning system? There are three options, like early warning, normal and late.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When I had my 2017 coupe touring, CMBS saved my ass once. Someone in front of me braked harder than I anticipated, and my car hit the brakes before I could react. It saved me from an accident. Sometimes though the CMBS would say BRAKE for nothing. I'd say 98% of the time it wasn't intrusive.

On my CTR, I don't have it.

OP
OP
GermanCivic

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What do you mean exactly by it braked for nothing?
Do you mean it wasn't necessary from the perspective of an attentive human driver or do you mean it braked when there was absolutely nothing in front of you?

The second scenario is what I'm a bit scared of. It could be dangerous and easily cause a rear end collision or even a pileup.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It didn’t brake itself, but it screamed at me to brake when there was nothing in front of me.

OP
OP
GermanCivic

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Have you tried to adjust it, so that it won't warn you all the time?

In that video you can see how it reacts if it's not adjusted correctly:

(Timecode 01:27 / it's a 2018 Odessey btw)

bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag
Absolutely, several times in my 2020 Civic Sedan. Ppl hitting the brakes really hard and not having lights function properly.. started hitting the brakes when I realized the speed difference and car took over. I swear it scared me SO MUCH when it happened, Lol. All them Dash errors lit up like an Xmas tree, and apparently once got lucky the truck was lifted just high enough that the tip of my bumper was literally just barely sitting under theirs without contact. I was both relieved and grateful.

OP
OP
GermanCivic

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What dash/rear cams are you using? Not related to this, but had someone run through an intersection earlier, honked at them, and they proceeded to try and ram me/slam their brakes in front of me and these are pretty clear cams, so would be useful in situations like that.
It's a Viofo A129 Duo, I chosen it because Viofo is known for their reliability and the video quality at night is also good. I'm very happy with it since two years.

Joe1986

Banned
First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Yesterday I was cruising at 130 kmh (81 mph) when it comes to a sudden stop in front of me. I hit the brakes immediately and put on the hazards to warn otheres behind me. Seems like the car thought I'm not braking hard enough, so the system hit the brakes much harder than I did. I think the Collision Mitigation Braking System did an excellent good job.
Asphalt was kind of hot at that time, the outside temperature was 30 degree Celsius (80 degree Fahrenheit).

Have you guys had any incidents or close calls were the CMBS did it's job?
Mine almost fooking killed me instead, the car break extreme hard because another car came in my lane the guy behind give the finger because he was literally about half inch away from rear ending me when there was absolutely no reason to hit my breaks so hard,

ts13

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
i have had mine hit the brakes hard for a shadow on the road- twice. it has its good and bad points.

Seth_FC3

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI coupe
Country flag
I've had the system freak out on me and brake super hard once. Since then I leave it on the closest setting just as precaution, but I think it comes in handy when needed

OP
OP
GermanCivic

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@Joe1986
I'm glad this did not result in an accident. When the driver in front of you cutting into your lane and another guy tailgates you, the last thing you want to happen is a false or over reaction from the CMBS.

@ts13
I've heard that before, I wonder how that can exactly happen. I mean the system is video and radar based. I get it, the camera can detect a shadow but the radar definitely can't. Do you remember from what the shadow came from?

ts13

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
^ i was on a concrete "highway" no other vehicles, very bright. the shadow from an overpass, very distinct and dark made the car slam on the brakes. freaked me out!

OP
OP
GermanCivic

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oh man, that's an absolute nightmare, especially at higher speeds.

I've heard about another civic driver who had the CMBS braking because of a manhole cover.
Sponsored