CMBS, ACC, RDM Warnings While Driving

n00b Gr3n4d3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 1.5 Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
This is the second time it has happened, almost in the exact same spot.

Driving to the airport, had adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist turned on when all of a sudden I received 4 warnings:
CMBS x2, ACC and RDM warning lights all came on and error messages appeared while driving on the highway at 100 kph. This is the second time it has happened.

I took it to the dealer the first time, and they said they couldn't find anything except a general error code, which they cleared. This is now more than annoying, and has become worrisome. Anyone else experience this? And is there a solution that you guys know of?

The car is a 2017 hatchback sport touring. I tried to upload a video, butthe format isn't supported.

UPDATE 1: Took the car in for service. They cleared the codes, but they weren't able to replicate the malfunction. I spoke with the shop foreman, who gave me his direct contact info. Once I'm done with my exams next Thursday, I'll go down the same stretch of highway, and will try to replicate it myself. If succesful, I will call the foreman and take the car directly to serive.
Honda Civic 10th gen CMBS, ACC, RDM Warnings While Driving CMBS ACC RDM

UPDATE 2: 27 April. I drove the same route this afternoon around 11 am as when the errors occurred, but with no success of recreating them. The only variables are time of day and weather conditions (it was damp outside the first time, and the second time there was slight rain). I'll keep chipping away at this and will continue to try and figure out what's going on, but as of now the car runs fine.
Sponsored

Last edited:

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
This is the second time it has happened, almost in the exact same spot.

Driving to the airport, had adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist turned on when all of a sudden I received 4 warnings:
CMBS x2, ACC and RDM warning lights all came on and error messages appeared while driving on the highway at 100 kph. This is the second time it has happened.

I took it to the dealer the first time, and they said they couldn't find anything except a general error code, which they cleared. This is now more than annoying, and has become worrisome. Anyone else experience this? And is there a solution that you guys know of?

The car is a 2017 hatchback sport touring. I tried to upload a video, butthe format isn't supported.

CMBS ACC RDM.jpg
I don't, but get the error codes before anyone clears them. It will help to search on the error codes for a solution.

OP
OP
n00b Gr3n4d3

n00b Gr3n4d3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't, but get the error codes before anyone clears them. It will help to search on the error codes for a solution.
As soon as I was able to stop, I recorded a video of going through the errors and took pictures of each. It being good Friday, Honda service is closed where I live but I'll be there e first thing tomorrow. The sales manager tried to explain it away as "normal", I didn't like that.

I'll post updates here as they happen, will let you know what's up.

_dc_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had the similar problem. Driving along at freeway speed with ACC then error messages appeared on the driver information display and the entire Honda Sensing suite turned off. I could only re-enable it by shutting off and restarting the car. For me, it happened when the vehicle in front suddenly slowed down or another slower car cut in front of me. This triggered the malfunction.

I explained this to my dealership and they were able to replicate the problem by taking my car and switching into a lane with a slower vehicle (driven by another dealership employee). They diagnosed it as a malfunctioning VSA module which they replaced. This has so far solved the problem. As it was explained to me, the VSA module controls the braking system and was throwing the error when the ACC needed to aggressively slow the car.

Here is a photo of the service record, maybe it will help you in dealing with your service department:
Honda Civic 10th gen CMBS, ACC, RDM Warnings While Driving IMG_4936.JPG

OP
OP
n00b Gr3n4d3

n00b Gr3n4d3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I had the similar problem. Driving along at freeway speed with ACC then error messages appeared on the driver information display and the entire Honda Sensing suite turned off. I could only re-enable it by shutting off and restarting the car. For me, it happened when the vehicle in front suddenly slowed down or another slower car cut in front of me. This triggered the malfunction.

I explained this to my dealership and they were able to replicate the problem by taking my car and switching into a lane with a slower vehicle (driven by another dealership employee). They diagnosed it as a malfunctioning VSA module which they replaced. This has so far solved the problem. As it was explained to me, the VSA module controls the braking system and was throwing the error when the ACC needed to aggressively slow the car.

Here is a photo of the service record, maybe it will help you in dealing with your service department:
IMG_4936.JPG
Awesome! I'm going to speak to the tech tomorrow morning. I have a feeling it's something similar. Though there wasn't a slower car in front of me, when I changed lanes to the right, there was one in the lane to right of of the one I changed to. Could have picked up that vehicle, causing to throw the errors.

The way you describe the car behaving is exactly how mine reacted too. Thanks for the help!

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag

IMG_4936.JPG
Awesome. This is why the error codes are so important in diagnosing a very complex system.

OP
OP
n00b Gr3n4d3

n00b Gr3n4d3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately they're not in today, so at some point I had to shut the car off since it happened and I'm hoping they're still going to be read the codes off of it. I'm going to show them my recording , and your service record _dc_ if that's cool with you.

Telfo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I had the same issue pop up with my hatchback this morning. I am going to try and replicate it.

OP
OP
n00b Gr3n4d3

n00b Gr3n4d3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Drive to the dealer straight away without turning the car off!! Im trying this thursday after my llast exam, will post updates :)

cflee1234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic sport touring
Drive to the dealer straight away without turning the car off!! Im trying this thursday after my llast exam, will post updates :)
I bought a 2017 brand new civic sport touring and within a week the RDM, ACC, etc warning lights showed up while I was driving on the highway. All the warning lights clear itself after I parked before I have a chance to take a picture. I don't see any error messages on my display. Do you have to navigate to the HondaLink screen to see the error message? Have you finally figure out what was the problem?

LeaveEarly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB LX HS
I got the same and 3 times at 22k on hatchback lx. Turning the car off and on fixes it... don't
Honda Civic 10th gen CMBS, ACC, RDM Warnings While Driving 20180110_184205
really thinks it's safety concern but more of a financial concern if you don't acknowedge it with the dealer before the 60k bumper to bumper warranty expires

Last edited:

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
Besides the stupidity of a reset only happening when you restart the car, you know what is the worst part of this kind of situation? You lose cruise control entirely. Not just the adaptive part but all of it. I had a slush on the radar issue in the winter and learned these two things.

So when there is an ACTUAL hardware issue with the car, you will lose cruise control every time it freaks out.

I like all these toys when they work but the "when they work" part is seeming to be a serious issue more and more for owners...

LeaveEarly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB LX HS
Besides the stupidity of a reset only happening when you restart the car, you know what is the worst part of this kind of situation? You lose cruise control entirely. Not just the adaptive part but all of it. I had a slush on the radar issue in the winter and learned these two things.

So when there is an ACTUAL hardware issue with the car, you will lose cruise control every time it freaks out.

I like all these toys when they work but the "when they work" part is seeming to be a serious issue more and more for owners...
LOL God forbid you don't have cruise control till you come to a stop.

Last edited:

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
LOL God forbid you don't have cruise control till you come to a stop.
I am a systems analyst and programmer for a rather big multinational. The choice to not have a reset option on either the drivers info display or on the infotainment system screen is a fail. Regardless of how silly it seems. It fails on convenience and it fails on user obviousness. These cars are getting to be far more like computers than most are realizing and things need to be dead simple and offer multiple ways to deal with them when they go wrong.

Furthermore, it is software. Not having an automatic operating mode step down for when certain systems are at less than 100% is sheer laziness.

But otherwise, ya it SEEMS petty...

LeaveEarly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB LX HS
I am a systems analyst and programmer for a rather big multinational. The choice to not have a reset option on either the drivers info display or on the infotainment system screen is a fail. Regardless of how silly it seems. It fails on convenience and it fails on user obviousness. These cars are getting to be far more like computers than most are realizing and things need to be dead simple and offer multiple ways to deal with them when they go wrong.

Furthermore, it is software. Not having an automatic operating mode step down for when certain systems are at less than 100% is sheer laziness.

But otherwise, ya it SEEMS petty...
Yeah mean like reset without turning the car off then on again? When I had this problem it reset on its on after being at a spot for a couple of seconds
Sponsored