Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Just to inform you, a dual mass can't be machined or refinished, if someone bought it that's not aware of this also, it would be a dick move on your part now that you're informed lol
Oh I'm aware. Which is why I got the flywheel along with the clutch. Just in case the shop pulled my clutch off and a flywheel was necessary. But luckily it's in good shape. Shop said I could of reused it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
kshawn

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
So I've been through this thread and while there has been some good Q&A I feel there are two important questions left unanswered.
First as no one can seem to get anything clear from clutch masters without calling them (so far as what I've seen on their website), what was the cost of the clutch and flywheel, was it a combo deal or whatever?
My 2nd question would be how does the car idle? The single mass is significantly lighter than the stock dual mass. I'm curious as to how well it stores energy as it is. Combo the flywheel and mild cam upgrade (not sure if anyone offering a cam yet) but I'd want to have some idea if stalling at idle becoming an issue, easily solved with a tuner but for people out there still that are still straight bolt on that might find that info useful
First: yah I had to call them as well. It was a combo deal.
Second: car idles just The same as it did before. I'm not seeing anymore NVH then I did with stock. But i also have a 62a mount so if it did add NVH I don't notice it over the mount.

Clutch is broken in now! I did some hard pulls yesterday and it loved it. Now it's time for a couple from stop launches. And to hit up a tuner.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag

Here's a few videos of the rev drop with the new clutch and single mass flywheel.
Surprisingly I have 0 chatter and everything feels solid, especially the clutch pedal lol. I'm taking it easy for the break in and then I'll really start to RIP on it.

Things I've noticed so far. My coasting has increased, probably do to the lighter flywheel. And I'm making boost earlier then I usually do. And easier. I haven't done to much driving on it yet. I'll be going into work tonight and that will be about an hour drive, highway for 25 of it. That should give me a better impression.

I'll be finding out what codes throw with misfire enabled, tomarrow:)
Just curious, when you say that your coasting has increased, do you mean you slow down faster?

I'd imagine that the smoothness probably has to do with the fact that the flywheel still weighs 17 lbs (vs ~27 lbs for the stock DMF, I think). I think that this is still a couple of lbs heavier than the stock dual mass flywheel on the 8th Gen SI though. Most of the time, when people talk about lightened flywheel issues/chattering, they're talking about 7 or 9 lb flywheels. At 17 lbs, we're really looking at what the stock flywheel should have been - lighter, but not super light.

OP
OP
kshawn

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Just curious, when you say that your coasting has increased, do you mean you slow down faster?

I'd imagine that the smoothness probably has to do with the fact that the flywheel still weighs 17 lbs (vs ~27 lbs for the stock DMF, I think). I think that this is still a couple of lbs heavier than the stock dual mass flywheel on the 8th Gen SI though. Most of the time, when people talk about lightened flywheel issues/chattering, they're talking about 7 or 9 lb flywheels. At 17 lbs, we're really looking at what the stock flywheel should have been - lighter, but not super light.
I slow down slower. The coasting takes me a longer distance.

JDM_DOHC_SiR

Uncle Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Acura TLX Type-S / 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

KramVT0215

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe, 2008 Acura TL
Country flag
20180715_152845.jpg
20180715_152850.jpg

And there's the code. But no lights coming up on the dash..at least not yet. Clutch is almost broken in ;) in depth review coming.
Thanks for all the updates...was looking at this code don't think it's actually a misfire code but something else. Curious to see your imoressions as you start enjoying the clutch more since break in!

KramVT0215

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe, 2008 Acura TL
Country flag
Eager for more feedback! :)
I agree would love to see how it's holding up. It must be nice and broken in now. Also can you confirm whether or not that code you saw was indeed for misfire? I've been hearing reports of another user with no codes on thelis single Mass flywheel which would be awesome

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Just to inform you, a dual mass can't be machined or refinished, if someone bought it that's not aware of this also, it would be a dick move on your part now that you're informed lol
Historically yes. But have we confirmed through the factory service manual? I ask because Mazda's Luk DMF can be resurfaced by hand. It's actually specified in their service manual for minor abrasions lol.

If we honestly don't know, I can chat here with the local master tech (I'm due to visit them tomorrow).

OP - thanks for the review!

Last edited:

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
That code isn't a misfire, but it's saying that there is something wrong with the transmission.

worn or defective transmission shifter components. Other causes may include a defective range sensor, open, shorted, corroded, or otherwise damaged wiring and/or electrical connectors.

Also possible that it is a high voltage from the battery.

I'm not sure what Honda categorizes this under.

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I saw on FB that these CM clutches rub against the tranmission housing or some shit? It was posted by Eman, the guy that's had a bunch of his Civics on The Smoking Tire. He calls all CM clutches trash and is now running a retrofitted Type-R clutch system. I'll try to dig up the post on Facebook. Regardless, I'm definitely curious as to how others feel about them.

OP
OP
kshawn

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
That code isn't a misfire, but it's saying that there is something wrong with the transmission.

worn or defective transmission shifter components. Other causes may include a defective range sensor, open, shorted, corroded, or otherwise damaged wiring and/or electrical connectors.

Also possible that it is a high voltage from the battery.

I'm not sure what Honda categorizes this under.
I'm unsure of the exact meaning for this code. But it does go away when unchecking miss fire detection.

OP
OP
kshawn

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
The clutch is 100% broken in at this point :)

No chatter and no issues so far. And no extra vibrations. I did a few 2 step launches the other day and it grabbed without a fuse. Launched at 8psi.

I find shifting quicker is smoother. I can also start from a stop in 2nd without any fuss. Running the same tune, I feel like the lightweight flywheel freed up a bit more power;)

Stock clutch framed below.:beer: dont judge, it's my first manual car;)

Honda Civic 10th gen Clutchmasters FX-350 with single mass flywheel 20180722_142100

Just moved my meth nozzle today. The tune is next!
Honda Civic 10th gen Clutchmasters FX-350 with single mass flywheel 20180801_130001

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I saw on FB that these CM clutches rub against the tranmission housing or some shit? It was posted by Eman, the guy that's had a bunch of his Civics on The Smoking Tire. He calls all CM clutches trash and is now running a retrofitted Type-R clutch system. I'll try to dig up the post on Facebook. Regardless, I'm definitely curious as to how others feel about them.
I'm unsure of the exact meaning for this code. But it does go away when unchecking miss fire detection.
I wonder - if one were to install both a single mass flywheel and a Catless DP, wouldn't that be two "Not Ready" codes? If so, wouldn't that prevent one from passing inspection?
Sponsored