First Name
Ribardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Looking to upgrade my clutch. Currently at 276 WTQ and im feeling that im going to have to upgrade it soon. Best suggestions and recommendations please looking to order one within the week of this post
Sponsored

Seth_FC3

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI coupe
Country flag
Your best bet right now based on what I've seen/heard, is the type R retro fit clutch, or an ACT clutch.

Static_Awesome

IG:Static.Awesome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I just finished breaking in my Action Clutch Stage 3 and flywheel. So far so good, I can slip it enough to not jerk in first and reverse, pedal feel is a little heavier but manageable. That said, I've heard nothing but good things about the retrofit Type R clutch from E-man.

And as far as weak transmissions... I'd like to see what you're talking about jerryvvv

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
And as far as weak transmissions... I'd like to see what you're talking about jerryvvv
There's a bad design in the oil gutters. They are undersized which causes shearing and failure under strain. 3rd gear goes boom

Eman does a mod to address this

Honda Civic 10th gen CLUTCH UPGRADE Screenshot_20200629-091130

Last edited:

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
There's a bad design in the oil gutters. They are undersized which causes shearing and failure under strain. 3rd gear goes boom

Eman does a mod to address this
It's really a lottery whether you have bad gutters or not but it seems like there was just a bad batch at one point in the 2017's since eman's Si is a 2017.

I get the idea most of our transmissions have gutters like these. No way to know unless you take it apart. No good reason to take it apart unless you have some kind of failure or already have it out for a clutch swap.

If you're cracking the tranny open might as well source the HPD 4th gear, too.

Honda Civic 10th gen CLUTCH UPGRADE Screenshot_20200629-073942
Honda Civic 10th gen CLUTCH UPGRADE Screenshot_20200629-074001

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's really a lottery whether you have bad gutters or not but it seems like there was just a bad batch at one point in the 2017's since eman's Si is a 2017.

I get the idea most of our transmissions have gutters like these. No way to know unless you take it apart. No good reason to take it apart unless you have some kind of failure or already have it out for a clutch swap.

That's fair.

I think Phong on YouTube, who also had failure, has a 2017 as well

Good point about getting beefier gears while in there

Edit:
Also to be clear, people blowing up 3rd and 4th are really pushing things, whereas clutches have had slipping on unmodded cars

Last edited:

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
I just finished breaking in my Action Clutch Stage 3 and flywheel. So far so good, I can slip it enough to not jerk in first and reverse, pedal feel is a little heavier but manageable. That said, I've heard nothing but good things about the retrofit Type R clutch from E-man.

Is the stage 3 good for daily driving I was thinking of getting there stage 2 clutch

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
That's fair.

I think Phong on YouTube, who also had failure, has a 2017 as well

Good point about getting beefier gears while in there

Edit:
Also to be clear, people blowing up 3rd and 4th are really pushing things, whereas clutches have had slipping on unmodded cars
Yes. There's no real evidence there's a common weak point in these transmissions. There have been no consistent failures of a specific part or component in the transmissions. The majority of failures have been from people pushing double (or more) vs. factory torque or HP.

I think the closest evidence we have of a weak point is the fact Honda only beefs up 4th gear for the racecar.

But when you examine the clutch, there are failures all over the map. Tuned, untuned, racing, street driving... There's a clear pattern of clutch failure at all power levels.

Static_Awesome

IG:Static.Awesome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Is the stage 3 good for daily driving I was thinking of getting there stage 2 clutch
I'm dailying it now, and was when I broke it in. You need to be more precise on rev matching up AND down, but it's not bad, even in mild to moderate stop and go traffic. If you live in a huge city, that might be cause enough to go with a full face organic clutch. Me personally, I love it, it glaringly shows you when you shift badly, and that makes me a better stick driver. And this is my first stick car that I've owned, so if I can handle it most people can!

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si

That's nuts, anyone know if there are cases of the 2018 SI with bad gutters?

OP
OP
MrTureelok

MrTureelok

First Name
Ribardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
SO from what im understanding besides the "bad gutter issue" is to go with an ACT CLUTCH? I'm looking at the ACT and clutch masters that's sold on the PRL website. BUT if you guys recommend the ACT then im down to get it. Im full bolt and and just need a new clutch in general. After install im going to push for a bit more power then id be done with it completely just going to go for looks after!

OP
OP
MrTureelok

MrTureelok

First Name
Ribardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag