Clutch upgrade

Green82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here in a few days I will be buying a ktuner but also want to grab a clutch since unseen some post where theirs have started to slip.

Out of all the clutches available right now what would be the best to go with to future proof a build.
Like to see hour guys choice and why you choose it and the difference you feel over stock
Sponsored

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
Here in a few days I will be buying a ktuner but also want to grab a clutch since unseen some post where theirs have started to slip.

Out of all the clutches available right now what would be the best to go with to future proof a build.
Like to see hour guys choice and why you choose it and the difference you feel over stock
How far to you plan to go with power? A little info would help us give you the best advice.

OP
OP

Green82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How far to you plan to go with power? A little info would help us give you the best advice.
Like to get the most I can out of the car but be done over time doubt I ever drag race it but want the power to be there in time with future parts that become available like to see 400+ hp

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like to get the most I can out of the car but be done over time doubt I ever drag race it but want the power to be there in time with future parts that become available like to see 400+ hp
400hp+? :rofl: I’m no way being a dick but we don’t even have 400hp+ potential as of right now. No clutch for that power, and that’s a lot of money, assuming you don’t care about that part, but the average person does not have that kind of cash to do this kind of work. On this car those numbers in the future will be track cars for the drag strip. It’s a lot of work. You’ll need to do a lot of other work as well if you are going to have that kind of power.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Green82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
400hp+? :rofl: I’m no way being a dick but we don’t even have 400hp+ potential as of right now. No clutch for that power, and that’s a lot of money, assuming you don’t care about that part, but the average person does not have that kind of cash to do this kind of work. On this car those numbers in the future will be track cars for the drag strip. It’s a lot of work. You’ll need to do a lot of other work as well if you are going to have that kind of power.
yes i know these cars can not do it right now which is why i said parts available in the future.
as of now with bolt ons and sadly E85 they been hitting 300+ hp
so i give them time till they start making internals to go way above it

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yes i know these cars can not do it right now which is why i said parts available in the future.
as of now with bolt ons and sadly E85 they been hitting 300+ hp
so i give them time till they start making internals to go way above it
Prl will be the direction to go, I imagine a clutch will come out around the time the big power mods start coming out, gonna need a twin disk.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Clutchmasters clutches are available but I believe the heaviest still tops out at upper 300s or low 400s tq.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clutchmasters clutches are available but I believe the heaviest still tops out at upper 300s or low 400s tq.
380-400wtq I believe is the max rating for their top clutch available for our cars. I wonder how a twin disk would be with our dual mass flywheels. Hopefully they incorporate their new spring design. Makes chatter to a bare minimum.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
380-400wtq I believe is the max rating for their top clutch available for our cars. I wonder how a twin disk would be with our dual mass flywheels. Hopefully they incorporate their new spring design. Makes chatter to a bare minimum.
I believe we can now disable the code when going to a single mass flywheel. I'm thinking twin disk is the way to go if your shooting for high numbers. and with PRLs big turbo on the horizon, bring on the better clutches!

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@17siturb0 @kshawn

Do we think a bigger turbo that produces 400+ hp on the 1.5T is going to make 400+ft lbs as well? I'm thinking not. For reference I checked out results on an older PRL Si turbo kit and saw 450whp and under 300ft lbs of torque.

While that may dissapoint some, I would venture to say that we'd see fewer blown engines with a kit like that vs the stock turbo pushed to the edge. The rods will welcome a reduced torque limit. (For the base 1.5, at least. Si rod limits are still unknown.)

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@17siturb0 @kshawn

Do we think a bigger turbo that produces 400+ hp on the 1.5T is going to make 400+ft lbs as well? I'm thinking not. For reference I checked out results on an older PRL Si turbo kit and saw 450whp and under 300ft lbs of torque.

While that may dissapoint some, I would venture to say that we'd see fewer blown engines with a kit like that vs the stock turbo pushed to the edge. The rods will welcome a reduced torque limit. (For the base 1.5, at least. Si rod limits are still unknown.)
The older Si’s didn’t have the torque we have now, I do believe we will hit over 400 ft lbs considering we have seen 370+, although I’ve been speculating that this turbo kit will change the power curve and could very well turn out like you mentioned above. I think that would be better for the reliably side of things, and keep stress off the internals in the lower rpm’s.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
400+ hp might be pushing realistic goals. Certainly it'd take a very built up engine. I don't think this is *that* engine.

Turboing a K24 and making 400-500 hp was still only making ~200hp/liter. We're reaching those numbers on E85 and a modified turbo.

I'm not saying it *can't* be done with a lot of money and, even with internals, an acceptable loss of reliability. Still... we've got some things working against us for high HP numbers:
1) low rev limit. We're not making the revs. The k20A2s were around 8000, the Rs used the same valve train and they were known to be good to 8600. That's *2000* more RPM to make peak HP. Want to turbo those? Ok... peak HP, here I come!
2) No Vtec. It adjusting the lift/duration at high RPMs is supposed to be a more profound effect N/A... but there's got to be a reason they kept it on the current R. The L block used Vtec on earlier N/A versions... but we didn't get it. Probably to meet emissions goals.
3) small displacement. This is offset by the use of a turbo to still make good torque, but it is ultimately going to limit the potential of the engine.

400+ hp in a L15B7 would be an extraordinary number. It having DI is a huge advantage of port injection cars... but it's still like talking about a ~1000 hp Supra... or a 700 hp K24. Those are cars making ~300hp/liter.

If you're saying you don't want to drag race, other than the pride of trying to make your car make a number (400+)... if you want this number, I don't think this is the right car. Not now... not ever. Type R maybe.

We'll have to see what PRLs big turbo does. It might be impressive, but I think with low rev limit, no Vtec and small displacement, 400 hp will be pushing it.

If the car makes 300 ft/lb of torque at 6500 RPM (6600 is our default rev limit), that's 371 hp. Bump up the rev limit and go to 7000? Exactly 400 hp. So we need a turbo to make exactly 300 ft/lbs at 7000 to just touch it. Whatever turbo is definitely not going to be one that peaks early. Ours seems to be done at 4800-ish (at least the 21 vs 23 basemaps show no difference, and Ktuner put a taper on the 23 to protect the turbo)... with peaks well below that.

*I'm* not going to try and pump nearly 300hp/liter from my car... but props to whoever gets there first.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The older Si’s didn’t have the torque we have now, I do believe we will hit over 400 ft lbs considering we have seen 370+, although I’ve been speculating that this turbo kit will change the power curve and could very well turn out like you mentioned above. I think that would be better for the reliably side of things, and keep stress off the internals in the lower rpm’s.
I think when you compare “the torque we have now” when comparing to an older n/a Si you have to imagine the torque we’d have without a turbocharger. I don’t think anyone knows that number but it would be little to nothing I’d imagine. I’m certainly no expert and have never had a “big” turbo on any of my previous vehicles though.

Perhaps we can get someone such as @PRL Motorsports or @VitViper to speculate with us on the torque we’d see from a larger turbocharger.
Sponsored