CnoEVO

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 2021 Cadillac Escalade
Country flag
On Tuesday 1/21/20 while about 1 mile from my office I heard a metal ping noise under my vehicle. Next thing I know I was stuck in 3rd and I was locked out of all others. Scary but I made it to work. I tried the gears again in the parking lot and everything seemed normal. I figured I would see if it was a fluke on my way home.

On my way home after about a mile I was stuck in 4th gear. I pulled over stopped the car. I could only get in 4th, reverse neutral. After 15 minutes I could get into 1st and was only a mile from the Honda dealer. So I roll up to the dealership with my Hondata on, Intercooler, HVI, and boost tubes. I'm thinking this isn't good. I explain to the service advisor what happened and I leave my car with them.

Long story short apparently only a small portion of the clutch has any wear so they are replacing all parts related to the clutch under warranty. They are inspecting the transmission as well. Supposedly the Honda Engineers haven't seen this before. They are going to keep it for an extra day to road test as well. I'll let you know as I get more info.
Sponsored

Hoobastnk90

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
i mean none of those mods really should make the car unable to change gears though, and if there already replacing stuff sounds like they dont care either.

Hayabusa160

The Master
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
Country flag
i seen a clutch do that before i dont remember what was the cause but hopefully that fixes your issue

OP
OP
CnoEVO

CnoEVO

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Update... I just picked up my car. They ended up replacing the entire transmission under warranty. In addition to abnormal wear of the clutch the manual transmission fluid was contaminated with metal particles and abnormal wear of bearing surfaces due to the metal in the fluid.

Reactions: Evo

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
are there dampening springs in the clutch disk? Not blaming your driving style or anything as it could have been a defective clutch. I've had a spring pop out of the clutch disk and wedge itself between the flywheel and the clutch in my old integra. Made pushing the clutch in monumentally difficult (cable actuated).

I think the spring popped out from jerky launches as I was teaching people how to drive stick in it.

I suspect in your case though something inside the transmission snapped, fubaring the internals and alignment of the parts.

OP
OP
CnoEVO

CnoEVO

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
are there dampening springs in the clutch disk? Not blaming your driving style or anything as it could have been a defective clutch. I've had a spring pop out of the clutch disk and wedge itself between the flywheel and the clutch in my old integra. Made pushing the clutch in monumentally difficult (cable actuated).

I think the spring popped out from jerky launches as I was teaching people how to drive stick in it.

I suspect in your case though something inside the transmission snapped, fubaring the internals and alignment of the parts.
I'm not sure if there are dampening springs or not in the clutch. They said the clutch only had wear on about 10% of it. My car has 24000 miles on it. It wasnt wearing right. Plus something happened to the transmission as well as they supposedly sent photos to the Honda Engineers who said replace it all.
Sponsored