Clutch Slippage questions

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
The people that are wrecking their clutch bone stock just don’t know what they are doing.
Sponsored

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Honda puts 87 in these cars when you get them, unlike the past Si these cars don't have a requirement to run 91 or above. Before he moved over to tuning on Motec, Vit did some testing and tuning with the Si and he made more power by simply switching to premium grade fuel. He blogged the results on his page: http://blog.vittuned.com/introducing-the-2017-civic-si/
Umm well, I have an 18 Si and in the manual it say 91 octane or higher in Sport mode and also says premium fuel recommended right on the gas door.
Yeah it kinda does say to use premium fuel in the Si. Who said Honda put in 87? Sounds like a lie. I'd love to see some factual evidence. Either way, I've been using 93 since day 1 because that's what Honda says

OP
OP
T00fair

T00fair

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Just to clarify i haven't had any issues with my clutch at all, I also don't think I've done any WOT at any potentially damaging points beause that seems pointless. The discussion has been great and I've defiently found the answer i was looking for! Thanks guys!

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Yeah it kinda does say to use premium fuel in the Si. Who said Honda put in 87? Sounds like a lie. I'd love to see some factual evidence. Either way, I've been using 93 since day 1 because that's what Honda says
Read the blog from Vit I posted, I have a few friends who work at Honda as well they don't pay importance to make sure your car has premium when they fill it for you to drive it off the lot. My previous Hondas were an RSX Type S and 9th gen Civic Si, their manuals read that premium is required while ours only indicate that it is recommended. The Si is not much different than the lower trims unlike the past Civic Si models, 91 or higher is still better for the motor absolutely. I went through my fuel tank fast and took it easy on the car when I drove it off the lot, as soon as I pumped 92 into it after that it felt considerably more peppy. Regardless I am not debating whether you should use premium or not, I am simply saying when running premium the car seems to make more power than the advertised numbers and people have reported having clutch issues fairly soon. More people that Vit have dyno'd the car and it seems to be a little underrated since it seems to dyno very close to the crank rated numbers.

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
27k using ktuner 23psi. i am not some tool that drops the clutch off the line just to hear the tires scream. done better than 250k on the same clutch in my previous car driving it as i do the civic now.
i can make the clutch slip on command in 4th 5th and 6th by using full boost around 4000rpm.
The stock clutch is underspecced when 40hp 50tq is enough to make it go this fast.
and, no, i have never smoked the clutch. i did break it in gently for 700k.

gettin tired of people saying its only slipping because of abuse.

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
27k using ktuner 23psi. i am not some tool that drops the clutch off the line just to hear the tires scream. done better than 250k on the same clutch in my previous car driving it as i do the civic now.
i can make the clutch slip on command in 4th 5th and 6th by using full boost around 4000rpm.
The stock clutch is underspecced when 40hp 50tq is enough to make it go this fast.

Note some quotes from this thread.

"The chances of a relatively new clutch slipping with no modifications is extremely rare."

"Just keep in mind that eventually the clutch will still give out as you start to make more and more torque when tuning the car for more power."

"I think that the stock clutch handles stock power, if properly broken in. The people who drive the car like a maniac right off the lot seem to have stock clutch issues with stock power."

Anyone with half a brain will understand that a clutch will start to slip over time after a vehicle's torque is increased. I don't doubt that there are guys out there like us who drive a car like it is supposed to. Like I said earlier, Honda plainly said, when the 10th gen Si was released, that they detuned the engine to increase drivetrain longevity. That is clearly seen with the stock clutch.

Simply put, if you leave the car bone stock, the stock clutch will likely last 100k+ miles, if properly broken in and driven correctly. If you increase your torque on your car, the stock clutch will only last so long before it starts to slip.

Justtoggle

First Name
just
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
I had a 2020 SI sedan and I just realize I’m having some slippage, the vehicle has 18k miles I’ve owned it for 3 years now, the modifications I have is only a BOV (Blow off Valve, and an PRL short ram intake.

Spunkmire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Sedan
Country flag
My clutch JUST started slipping over the last few months, and only on map 2 and 3 of the TSP Stage 1 tune.

2019 Si
Bought brand new in September of 2019
Now has:
48k miles.
1 track day
TSP Stage 1 since 15k miles.
PRL Cobra Street MAF
27Won:
Turbo Inlet, Downpipe, Frontpipe, and intercooler
Acuity Stage 3 shifter (not sure if that matters)

I've driven the car based on everyone here's recommendations by avoiding WOT under ~3200 RPM and avoiding WOT in 6th entirely, and 5th for the most part.

I know each clutch is different but I've beat on this thing between 3500-6200 RPM in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th and everything has been fine until lately. I'm happy that its lasted me almost 50k miles with how much I've done to it.

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
We all know the clutch is a weak point of the transmission and that's not just a Civic issue. I mean a lot of it depends on driver skill, driving style and how much power you're outputting.

For shits and giggles, I just went through my tune reliability thread to see how many people mentioned they were experiencing clutch slip on the stock clutch.

45 out of 578 tuned manual owners (1.5T Si & Non-Si) mentioned stock clutch slippage issues. I know that's not scientific, but still, 8% having issues doesn't seem like a massive problem.

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
We all know the clutch is a weak point of the transmission and that's not just a Civic issue. I mean a lot of it depends on driver skill, driving style and how much power you're outputting.

For shits and giggles, I just went through my tune reliability thread to see how many people mentioned they were experiencing clutch slip on the stock clutch.

45 out of 578 tuned manual owners (1.5T Si & Non-Si) mentioned stock clutch slippage issues. I know that's not scientific, but still, 8% having issues doesn't seem like a massive problem.
I agree but if you look at it from a manufacturing angle 8% is pretty high failure rate haha

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I agree but if you look at it from a manufacturing angle 8% is pretty high failure rate haha
Sure, if those were factory tuned numbers but that 8% slippage rate is for stock clutches on tuned cars.

Last edited:

borcth

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
My clutch JUST started slipping over the last few months, and only on map 2 and 3 of the TSP Stage 1 tune.

2019 Si
Bought brand new in September of 2019
Now has:
48k miles.
1 track day
TSP Stage 1 since 15k miles.
PRL Cobra Street MAF
27Won:
Turbo Inlet, Downpipe, Frontpipe, and intercooler
Acuity Stage 3 shifter (not sure if that matters)

I've driven the car based on everyone here's recommendations by avoiding WOT under ~3200 RPM and avoiding WOT in 6th entirely, and 5th for the most part.

I know each clutch is different but I've beat on this thing between 3500-6200 RPM in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th and everything has been fine until lately. I'm happy that its lasted me almost 50k miles with how much I've done to it.
🤔

It was probably only a matter of time then man. Even with driving it in the "safe zone" of the RPM range and taking all the necessary precautions. Looks like it was a slow burn. You got that far though. Especially it being tuned and FBO on stock clutch. Now time for that upgraded clutch!

borcth

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag

Damn. I thought I had patience!!😁
Sponsored