Clutch slip with the Two Step Performance Stage 1 Map

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
OP
OP
gylmar814

gylmar814

Gylmar814
First Name
Gylmar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ABM Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Mazda Cx-5, (RIP) '17 SGP Civic Hatch Ex
Country flag
@87Octane just what i was just gonna talk about.... so i disabled scramble mode and reflashed and the results were....nothing different. I'm still pinging 25-26 psi and the car drives the same. Performance wise, this map is a monster, on 5th gear at around 3500krpms and up just a press of the gas pedal this car moves like a train, just really wants to keep going and going. Same on all the gears. In the performance department i have no complaints with the tsp map. Hell, my tires even break loose on 2nd gear if i step on it hard enough, its great and very aggressive for what it is.

My concern is just how easily it builds boost. Just way to easy. I datalog my drive and just like i thought, cruising on 5th and 6th gear at 3k rpms and up (and the rest of the gears) i hit peak boost giving at little as 32% throttle and interestingly enough the throttle plate was already maxed out at 99%. Further looking at my datalogs it shows how sensitive the throttle plate opens up to the max, which would equal WOT, when giving as little as 30-50% throttle. Even giving as little as 20 something percent of throttle pedal the throttle plate is already in the upper 80's-low 90's%. Pretty crazy how easily the throttle plate opens up to the max when giving little throttle pedal.

With the TSP map the "Improved throttle response" is enabled. For clutch life purposes, perhaps if i disable the "improved throttle response" option in the flashpro manager app on the tsp map it will tame down the sensitivity of the throttle plate? I'm guessing maybe thats why I hit peak boost so easily when i tap on the throttle pedal and want some "pick up" cruising on the upper gears.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@87Octane just what i was just gonna talk about.... so i disabled scramble mode and reflashed and the results were....nothing different. I'm still pinging 25-26 psi and the car drives the same. Performance wise, this map is a monster, on 5th gear at around 3500krpms and up just a press of the gas pedal this car moves like a train, just really wants to keep going and going. Same on all the gears. In the performance department i have no complaints with the tsp map. Hell, my tires even break loose on 2nd gear if i step on it hard enough, its great and very aggressive for what it is.

My concern is just how easily it builds boost. Just way to easy. I datalog my drive and just like i thought, cruising on 5th and 6th gear at 3k rpms and up (and the rest of the gears) i hit peak boost giving at little as 32% throttle and interestingly enough the throttle plate was already maxed out at 99%. Further looking at my datalogs it shows how sensitive the throttle plate opens up to the max, which would equal WOT, when giving as little as 30-50% throttle. Even giving as little as 20 something percent of throttle pedal the throttle plate is already in the upper 80's-low 90's%. Pretty crazy how easily the throttle plate opens up to the max when giving little throttle pedal.

With the TSP map the "Improved throttle response" is enabled. For clutch life purposes, perhaps if i disable the "improved throttle response" option in the flashpro manager app on the tsp map it will tame down the sensitivity of the throttle plate? I'm guessing maybe thats why I hit peak boost so easily when i tap on the throttle pedal and want some "pick up" cruising on the upper gears.
Give it a try.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Very cool. Keep us posted. I've still got my Flashpro, but it's been sitting in the box since I picked up Ktuner. Honestly the Tunerview Lite app alone would have been enough for me to switch, it is nicer to work with compared to the Hondata app for android. I also like the form factor of the Ktuner v1.2 better, though I do wish it had a button to trigger datalogging like the Flashpro. I hope Hondata adds on the fly map switching and creates a better version of their android app soon.
If you're using TunerView Lite, there's a option to Start/Stop a log in the Flash menu

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
If you're using TunerView Lite, there's a option to Start/Stop a log in the Flash menu
I am not complaining but a simple hardware button to toggle datalog would be cool.

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Interesting, my car pulls like a freight train in 5th and 6th IF I go to pass or pull away from someone riding my A$$ on the highway(love the extra power at those speeds!!).....I've gone well into the 20's on boost in both those gears, guessl I'll stop that now?????? So from all these posts I should keep my foot out of it in 5th and 6th????? 3200 miles on the car.

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Emailing Derek a 3rd gear WOT pull from 2500-6500 at his request as he just wanted too look at everything and be sure all is good, great guy!!!! I'm sure he'll chime in here soon!!!!!

OP
OP
gylmar814

gylmar814

Gylmar814
First Name
Gylmar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Interesting, my car pulls like a freight train in 5th and 6th IF I go to pass or pull away from someone riding my A$$ on the highway(love the extra power at those speeds!!).....I've gone well into the 20's on boost in both those gears, guessl I'll stop that now?????? So from all these posts I should keep my foot out of it in 5th and 6th????? 3200 miles on the car.
Yeah I would stop that. And it's not that was I was flooring it on those gears, because I personally never do. But I specifically I see the the clutch slipping at the upper gears at or around 3-3500k rpms when giving some gas when I'm cruising and wanting to pick up speed for various reasons

OP
OP
gylmar814

gylmar814

Gylmar814
First Name
Gylmar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Emailing Derek a 3rd gear WOT pull from 2500-6500 at his request as he just wanted too look at everything and be sure all is good, great guy!!!! I'm sure he'll chime in here soon!!!!!
What was the reason for his request, do you know?

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
If BBG is set up like it is in most maps, it is to limit boost in the lower gears so you aren't blowing your tires off everytime you try to do a pull. Limiting boost in 5th and 6th won't help much with the clutch now, I wouldn't blame the tune for your clutch going to shit, some clutches have given up on stock cars running premium fuel. I'd blame the way you been driving the car since you got it. I did the same, I use to pass people using 4th, 5th and 6th, I thought down shifting pushing the car harder would be worse on the clutch than just accelerating in the higher gears. This made my clutch start slipping on Vit's stage one, once I started down shifting instead as soon as I started noticing slip it has been fine. I even full throttle shift every so often and the clutch still holds as long as I am rowing through the gears properly. I also run Ktuner though, and often times I just switch maps on the fly down to the stock boost levels, or the second boost level setting for cruising.

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Yeah I would stop that. And it's not that was I was flooring it on those gears, because I personally never do. But I specifically I see the the clutch slipping at the upper gears at or around 3-3500k rpms when giving some gas when I'm cruising and wanting to pick up speed for various reasons
Haven't noticed any slip while passing at any rpms......yet

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Haven't noticed any slip while passing at any rpms......yet
You're ruining your clutch by doing it. You might not slip now, but you will sooner or later by continuing to pull from lower RPMS in 4th, 5th and 6th. I would start downshifting instead, your clutch will last a lot longer.

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
You're ruining your clutch by doing it. You might not slip now, but you will sooner or later by continuing to pull from lower RPMS in 4th, 5th and 6th. I would start downshifting instead, your clutch will last a lot longer.
I pull from 3000 or higher and I'm not flooring it just a light gradual pull, I don't beat on the car
Sponsored