KiDDKolo

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Long story short, my clutch burnt up at 3000 miles. The Honda dealership has had my car for 2 weeks now and just told me that I have to “authorize” them to take apart the transmission and that alone is going to cost just under 1000 dollars. Depending on what they find it could be covered under warranty, or it could not be. Either way, I’m already out 1000 just for them to take the transmission apart so how much is it going to cost me if they say it’s my fault and I need to pay for the clutch replacement? I just bought this car a month ago. 2021 Honda Civic hatchback sport.
Sponsored

Memogiyi

First Name
Guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I’ve heard of clutch jobs going between $450-$700 just in labor. Then you have to account for the clutch kit ($400-$1700, depending on clutch). Mind you this is here in So-Cal. Other states may be cheaper.

Res0zsfa

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona N, CTR, G35 (sold), 01 s2k, 370z (sold)
Country flag
Just for reference I swapped the s2k clutch and labor costed 700 and the kit was 800

OP
OP
KiDDKolo

KiDDKolo

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Full clutch replacement for fluids and labour only is 1000 at a Canadian Honda dealership. Likely 800 at a smaller speed shop.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
That would probably be a $1500-1800 job at my dealer. If it's customer pay I charge 8.0hr to yank the trans plus parts. Warranty time is like 6hrs or something like that iirc. Typically, customer pay is about 140% of warranty time.

KOIVUN1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si CBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We usually don't warranty clutches for this reason. Toasted at 3k miles eh
lol what about 16k? i learned manual on mine, and i think that that combined with fbo and a tune didn't help in the slightest

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Should have just spent 1k on the clutch and installation at a reputable shop tbh. That money might as well be lost if your clutch burnt that early.

OP
OP
KiDDKolo

KiDDKolo

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would like the long story long - how did you trash the clutch at 3k miles? Are you expecting this to be warrantied?
That’s the thing, I have no idea. I’ve driven a stick most my life, I don’t ride the clutch or anything and I haven’t been driving like an asshole. Just started slipping one morning on my way to work and then on the way home it went out. Guy at the dealership even said it shouldn’t have gone out that early so we’ll see. I hope it can be warrantied but I doubt it will.

OP
OP
KiDDKolo

KiDDKolo

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Update: sorry I didn’t update you guys after everything was said and done ? but they took it apart, and said the clutch was burnt to fuck. But the service advisor was on my side and got Honda to cover 75% of the cost so I ended up paying 500 out of pocket. I’ve had the new clutch installed for a little over 5k miles and everything is going smooth.
Sponsored