Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Since I upgraded my clutch to the CM FX350, and upgraded my shifter components to all Acuity parts, I ran into some timing issues. My short throw shifter seems to decrease the time to grab gears, but my foot has to travel quite far, which upsets the timing. I turned in the bolt on the pedal to limit travel towards the driver as a first step. This really improved my goal towards quicker shifts, but I'm still pushing the pedal too far towards the floor, and way past where the clutch disengages. There is a pad (see diagram below) at the end of travel that I pulled out of a hole in the firewall bracket. I want to add something there that is adjustable to dial in the limit to my pedal travel. I cannot find anything aftermarket for this without welding in some other bracket. I'm considering a bolt with a jam nut and then drill out the head of the bolt to accept the barb from OEM plastic pad.

Honda Civic 10th gen Clutch pedal stop modification Stop pad.JPG

Has anyone modified their stop pad for the clutch pedal to reduce travel?
Sponsored

zenren

First Name
Brenden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Just get really lazy with the clutch and never push it in all the way like I do. Probably the best thing to put in there would be a nut rivet and a bolt with a rubber cap over the head.

OP
OP
Chris_19Si

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Just get really lazy with the clutch and never push it in all the way like I do. Probably the best thing to put in there would be a nut rivet and a bolt with a rubber cap over the head.
Ahh, rivet nuts. We use these at work from time to time and that escaped me. Thanks for the response. Just need to size things up and get it installed.

OP
OP
Chris_19Si

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I'll post a picture after I install the adjustable stop. Should be a simple fix.

zenren

First Name
Brenden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Given as much engaged travel the clutch has I am very curious to see how this goes

OP
OP
Chris_19Si

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Given as much engaged travel the clutch has I am very curious to see how this goes
With the stock clutch you wouldn't consider narrowing the pedal travel because it was very light and the engagement was very forgiving. The upgraded pressure plate and harsher disc materials makes you consider doing something to be more consistent with smooth take offs for when you are in town, and decreasing the time between shifts when being more aggressive. It's a waste of time with all the extra travel on both sides of engagement. I kept getting locked out of the next gear, also if the timing wasn't right. Hard to find information on why this happens, usually from 1st to 2nd, and sometimes 2nd to 3rd. As I improve the timing between pedal movement and my short throw shifter, it's getting better. Haven't had the problem for several days. This mod we are discussing should help the timing be even more consistent. I probably sound like I don't know how to drive a stick, but I've been doing it for many years, and this is the first stick car that I've experienced this with.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
The stock clutch, in my car anyway, has the opposite problem. I barely have to push the pedal down at all and it works. The engagement point is ridiculously high up.

OP
OP
Chris_19Si

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
The stock clutch, in my car anyway, has the opposite problem. I barely have to push the pedal down at all and it works. The engagement point is ridiculously high up.
One could assume the stock engagement and pedal travel would be nominally the same on the 10th gen si. I know there are some adjustments that can be made with the push rod to change the position (pedal angle) for where engagement begins, especially if it is too high. I remember seeing a specific instruction for our cars, which includes how to adjust the clutch switch for when you are out of range for the cruise control to work and the brake release function. You can get out of range on the switch at some point, requiring a simple adjustment.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
Maybe your clutch is almost gone? I swear mine was around the middle and grabs pretty good. But I haven't really been paying attention tbh

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Maybe your clutch is almost gone? I swear mine was around the middle and grabs pretty good. But I haven't really been paying attention tbh
Nah, it's been this way since I got the car. It's not a problem though, my last Honda was the same and that clutch lasted 11+ years.

OP
OP
Chris_19Si

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Just a quick update. I installed the rivet nut and bolt. I have detailed pictures if anyone is interested in doing the same thing. Going to commute to work with the limited travel this week and comment on any improvement to quicker shifts.
Honda Civic 10th gen Clutch pedal stop modification IMG_20200510_104937
Honda Civic 10th gen Clutch pedal stop modification IMG_20200510_100748

OP
OP
Chris_19Si

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Just took my first test drive with the combination of Acuity shifter upgrades and upper and lower limits for clutch pedal travel. What a difference. There is just enough play on both ends of the pedal travel to ensure the clutch is fully engaged and disengaged. This narrowed range compliments the short throw shifter and now I can make consistent quick shifts with more confidence that I'm not wasting time on the pedal. This mod seems simple, but does require patience given the work around the pedals. Highly recommended if you have a short throw shifter.

zenren

First Name
Brenden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
You are definitely going to want to find a half nut to use as a lock nut. Does it feel a lot harsher kicking a metal bolt now?

OP
OP
Chris_19Si

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
You are definitely going to want to find a half nut to use as a lock nut. Does it feel a lot harsher kicking a metal bolt now?
I used two wraps of Teflon tape to lock the threads. It was plenty of resistance while screwing it in. The hard stop is actually nice to feel. It is a strong indicator to shift quickly. I have to say, not having to make subtle corrections on finding where engagement is has made a difference. If you are using an organic disc, then who cares. The disc I have is closer to on-off, and not much transition. I know exactly where it engages every time now an no more issues pulling gears quickly. I really like it.
Sponsored