Clutch pedal creaking sound (dealer added grease once already last week)

ronnieburns

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic 1ltr SR
Country flag
Lucky you, my dealer told me they won't just replace parts hoping for a fix, and when I said there are alot of people saying this is the solution they say they can't go by what the internet states.

May try another dealer soon if the problem comes up but it hasn't yet.. surprising since we're getting into very cold temps now.
Have you called Honda directly? Over here if you go straight to Honda uk then you get better results. Mine was creaking at the dealer which will have helped but they told me it's well known and been an issue for years. So they do know.
Sponsored

OP
OP

10thDave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Have you called Honda directly? Over here if you go straight to Honda uk then you get better results. Mine was creaking at the dealer which will have helped but they told me it's well known and been an issue for years. So they do know.
I have not, mainly because Honda Canada doesn't seem to care too much. When I went on a rant on their fb page about how their tech 'diagnosed' my car' issue last time by sticking a flashlight in my wheel and then tapping the clutch pedal with their hand and 'announcing to everyone' "I don't know what this customer is smoking". It took them almost a week and a half to even get back to me at all (even though they said 24-48 hours).

The only reason they ended up calling was I took a screenshot from my dash cam showing their bay of cars being worked on and stating I would post the video to youtube showing just how honda likes to diagnose a customers car... that's when they got back to me in about 20 minutes after doing that.

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
This problem could be internal to the master cylinder. There's a spring inside which is compressed when you press the pedal. The spring should be centered about the rod and not touch the cylinder wall. If it moves off center it may rub the cylinder and generate a sound.

It will work ok but make a noise. Eventually it will mar the cylinder wall and the piston seal will leak.

I'd ask for a new MC to be installed.

You can buy buy an aftermarket MC for $50 or so. It's a tedious installation under the dash and under the hood.

nothome17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 is 350 F
Country flag
Honda's clutch creak is infamous from the early 2000 when they switched to hydraulic clutches.

There are TWO separate problems that people complain about, and they are very similar in sound/feel to the owner.
  • Clutch CLICKING. Distinct, crisp CLICK sound at bottom of pedal travel. Also might experience a more subtle click at top of clutch pedal IF the pedal was fully depressed before returning to the top. The cause: Clutch switch. The clutch switch is used to ensure that the pedal is fully pressed in before starting the car. The top "click" is caused by the upper switch, which <I think> is used for the cruise control - sensing if you've pressed the clutch at all. NO TSB has been released yet, but who knows, it's been happening for a decade.
  • Clutch CREAKING or SQUEAKING. More of a creak or muted squeak. The cause: inadequately lubricated linkage between the pedal and the clutch master cylinder. This is where the "replace master cylinder" treatment is applied, ALTHOUGH IS NOT FULLY NECESSARY. Just lubricating the linkage with appropriate grease should take care of the problem for a long time. I think the "replace master cylinder" was overkill from the service departments, as until recently, they didn't know the exact cause of the problem, so replacing everything that might squeak was the only feasible solution.
Hopefully this will help some people diagnose their problem and bring to everyones' attention that there are TWO SEPARATE PROBLEMS that might sound/feel almost the exact same to most people.

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
Well, looks like my clutch is squeaking/creaking again. where do I put the greaase???

TheRedGlacier

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 1994 Trans Am, 1963 Corvette
Country flag
Lucky you, my dealer told me they won't just replace parts hoping for a fix, and when I said there are alot of people saying this is the solution they say they can't go by what the internet states.

May try another dealer soon if the problem comes up but it hasn't yet.. surprising since we're getting into very cold temps now.
Honestly, if you haven't, I would contact American Honda directly. They may be more apt to help if you use good word choice (Extremely dissatified, etc..)

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
here it is, clicking clutch striking again. I’ve narrowed it down to clutch slave cylinder area (you can feel the clicking as the pedal is being depressed and fork moved). Distinct 4-5 clicks. Now, i hope it doesn’t disappear so i can take it in and get it fixed (hopefully extended warranty will do the trick). What yall think fellas?

https://youtu.be/7h36kyUUuo8

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
And sure enough, 1hr later darn sound is gone...maaan, that’s annoying

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
actually there is. I've taken my car in earlier this year in march. Tech could hear the sound right away. He put the car on the lift and lubricated the slave cylinder rod, cleaned out what has been accumulated underneath the rubber boot and the sounds was gone. it's been a few thousand miles now and still now sound (knock on wood).

trustmysole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
actually there is. I've taken my car in earlier this year in march. Tech could hear the sound right away. He put the car on the lift and lubricated the slave cylinder rod, cleaned out what has been accumulated underneath the rubber boot and the sounds was gone. it's been a few thousand miles now and still now sound (knock on wood).
gotcha, did you have to pay or was it under warranty?

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
gotcha, did you have to pay or was it under warranty?
didn't pay a dime. Car was over 36K but I have an extended warranty till 2022 or 80K so nothing out of the pocket. Although, I don't think they even ran it through the system as they never even gave me the visit summary which was ok by me. I guess really depends on the dealer you go to

trustmysole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
didn't pay a dime. Car was over 36K but I have an extended warranty till 2022 or 80K so nothing out of the pocket. Although, I don't think they even ran it through the system as they never even gave me the visit summary which was ok by me. I guess really depends on the dealer you go to
gotcha, yeah I've been hearing the same noise since this week started. Might have to take it to the dealership. do you have any bolt ons? i got an HKS exhaust and acuity short shifter with the bushings in the engine bay... wonder if that voids the extended warranty

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
gotcha, yeah I've been hearing the same noise since this week started. Might have to take it to the dealership. do you have any bolt ons? i got an HKS exhaust and acuity short shifter with the bushings in the engine bay... wonder if that voids the extended warranty
nope, my car is completely stock (i'm not into tuning at all). as far as voiding the warranty - I guess you'll never know before you try, really depends on the dealer you go to. I'm not very knowledgeable on this question to tell you the truth
Sponsored