Clutch making noise after someone else drove my car

alpineshepherd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Hey guys I know this is my 2nd post today, but while I was at the dentist earlier the staff moved my car (small parking lot, I've been going there my whole life and trusted the office lady to back up and pull forward wasn't far at all.)

On the way home I noticed the clutch making a clicking noise while rolling in 2nd gear - when I press the clutch in (or let go, not sure) to keep in 2nd gear I hear the click. After that, I noticed it happening coming out of first. Between 1st and 2nd, and 2nd and 3rd, it clicks as soon as it's all the way depressed and shortly after again when released. I think it happens in the other gears just is not as audible with road noise.

I am positive this wasn't there before today. I know I shouldn't have let someone else drive my car but it was literally back 20 feet and then forward. Could she have done something to cause this issue?

My car only has 1300 miles, would this be covered under warranty? I'm so annoyed and worried.
Sponsored

OP
OP

alpineshepherd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
So I just took a ride with my friend and he says I am trippin. I feel like I am hearing something I didn't before, but he swears it sounds normal to him. I want to believe it's nothing but driving it again still hear a click that I never noticed before.

Last edited:

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My clutch used to have a DING each time i released the pedal when it was new, it disappeared in a few weeks but recently the brake started to do the same.....

OP
OP

alpineshepherd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
My clutch used to have a DING each time i released the pedal when it was new, it disappeared in a few weeks but recently the brake started to do the same.....
I wouldn't consider this sound a ding, more of a click or a clunk. Doing some research I wonder if it is the clutch master cylinder? Just bummed it happened this early on such a new car and worried how much of a pain it will be to get fixed, even under warranty. Haven't had the best experience at my local dealer and bought this car 3 hours away.

Milo & Miles

Is there anything that won't fit into this car?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Hatch
Mine does the same thing. I think i read on another thread here that it's the dual-mass flywheel.

Sorry can't remember which thread it was but the consensus was its normal, just very irritating.

Kasai808

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I have never driven a manual X gen civic, but all my other cars have been manual. Are you sure you are not hearing/feeling the clutch engagement/disengagement points?

Milo & Miles

Is there anything that won't fit into this car?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Hatch
Actually i think this was the thread.

http://www.civicx.com/threads/my-biggest-gripe-with-my-2017-ex-t-6-spd-sedan.8529/

The noise you mentioned was touched on briefly by a few, but it mostly talked about the OP's clutch shuddering on engagement.

No idea where I got the idea about the dual mass flywheel -- guess thats what happens when you jump between too many threads lol.

This may be an issue we should bring up with the dealer just to make sure it doesn't become a problem long term. I'm due for an oil change soon so I'll be sure to mention it

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
You think she popped a torsion spring on the clutch disk? Not likely!

Clutch disks are very rugged.

More likely the pin connecting the pedal to the MC piston needs a bit of lube.

I replaced the MC on my old Accord. The internal spring got off-center and began to rub the cylinder bore making a noise when the piston was moved.

Honda has had troubles with MC's for some odd reason. They've replaced a bunch of them under warranty over the years.

OP
OP

alpineshepherd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
My suggestion is to never let anyone drive your car, ever. Why would you do that? I wouldn't let my mother drive my car (I love you mom!).
I was having my teeth cleaned at the moment but you're right- there will not be a next time! lol.

OP
OP

alpineshepherd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
You think she popped a torsion spring on the clutch disk? Not likely!

Clutch disks are very rugged.

More likely the pin connecting the pedal to the MC piston needs a bit of lube.

I replaced the MC on my old Accord. The internal spring got off-center and began to rub the cylinder bore making a noise when the piston was moved.

Honda has had troubles with MC's for some odd reason. They've replaced a bunch of them under warranty over the years.
I don't know hardly anything about clutches or engines, other than knowing I enjoy driving it versus an automatic. I should study up. MC = master cylinder, right? I will remember that should this be an issue down the road. I took it to the local dealer- technician said it sounds normal. I will update if anything changes but I am assuming it is fine for now.

I have never driven a manual X gen civic, but all my other cars have been manual. Are you sure you are not hearing/feeling the clutch engagement/disengagement points?
That's what the dealer technician said. I am going to chalk this one up to me being paranoid and looking for problems that aren't there after letting someone else drive it. Thanks everyone!

Kasai808

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
If you are not used to driving manual cars, you tend to be more hyper sensitive to "odd" sounds or feels than someone who has driven them for a long time. I wouldn't worry too much about it as you will usually feel a clutch on its way out.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
to though who's clutches have started to slip. did if make any sounds? i have a rattling like sound when i slightly accelerate, knock counts were registered and knock control went to .67. this was all after doing a 3rd gear pull onto the highway. after some diving the sound that i was getting, just costing or louder with small acceleration, went away.
Sponsored