Clutch Issues?

trong.n95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport 6MT
Country flag
I was up in the So Cal mountain to see some snow last weekend and had to deal with back to back traffic on the way up the mountain. My clutch started to slip and hop as i tried to engage 1st gear to go through the uphill traffic. I've never had this happened to the car since I got it in 2018. I have taken this car to the same mountain 2-3 times before, and it seems to do just fine. I freaked out and pulled over to cool the car down for 20 minutes. That seemed to help a little, so it prompted me to think the car and the clutch were overheating. Clutch and Transmission seemed to be normal once 1st gear is engaged. ECT1 was roughly 160 and ECT2 was about 190-200 with ambient mountain temperature around 50ish. My car is also black and is about 50k of wear and tear. Car seems to be normal since we got back...

Does anyone know if this is just due to overheating, or should I put in my new clutch order asap?
Sponsored

Guitar_stitch

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI, 2006 Honda Element, 2006 Chevy Express
Country flag
How were you launching? Chattery engagement is often a sign of glazing of the flywheel and/or pressure plate. In back to back traffic, I tend to slowly engage the clutch at around 1500 RPM to minimize slipping and reduce heat.

OP
OP
trong.n95

trong.n95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport 6MT
Country flag
How were you launching? Chattery engagement is often a sign of glazing of the flywheel and/or pressure plate. In back to back traffic, I tend to slowly engage the clutch at around 1500 RPM to minimize slipping and reduce heat.
Launching has been fine since that day. It was only during that uphill traffic that the clutch were chattering and slipping. I went through some normal 30 minutes traffic today, and the clutch seemed to engage just fine.

Guitar_stitch

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI, 2006 Honda Element, 2006 Chevy Express
Country flag
These 1.5 clutches are pretty garbage stock. Maybe time to upgrade. :D
Sponsored