Blackbettysi

First Name
Shain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lunar Silver SI Coupe
Country flag
Hi guys how's it going. So the reason I'm starting this thread is that i would just like to get some opinions on your clutch in your brand new SI. Wondering if anyone else is having problems like I am with mid range slippage and over all clutch feel my clutch sometimes feels fairly light.Then other times all the sudden starts feeling rock hard does not matter how it is driven or if the car has been warmed up or whatever it just does it when it wants too. And just as an added note I did not give the car much throttle and until at least 1200 miles. Thanks guys
Sponsored

ClemsonPatriot

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have not had any issues with mine. Your issues makes me wonder if there is air in your clutch lines or not enough fluid?

AMGSiR

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si Sedan (CBP)
Country flag
I've got a shudder on mine on engagement in first. I'm hoping it goes away after a few miles since the car is so new, but keeping an eye on it.

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2015 Hyundai Sante Fe Sport, 2002 Duramax, Sold 1999 Civic Si
Country flag
Hi guys how's it going. So the reason I'm starting this thread is that i would just like to get some opinions on your clutch in your brand new SI. Wondering if anyone else is having problems like I am with mid range slippage and over all clutch feel my clutch sometimes feels fairly light.
I have EXACTLY the same clutch slip issues. I have to assume they all do it, but people are not noticing because it only slips a few hundred RPM to maybe 1000 at most. My car is still new, but at 3k rpm and you apply power in a higher gear like 4th, the engines drives right thru the clutch. It is almost like a controlled slip, as it doesn't flare to redline or anything, it just flares a certain amount and then the car catches up. It has bothered me since day one. I only have about 300mi so far, but i have already noticed it and informed the dealer. I really don't want to bring it in though as I don't want them touching the car, but if something is wrong then it is wrong. But it really seems like a factory issue and that is just the way it is.

jpuhl777

First Name
Jp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe (WOP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
can you explain "slip a few hundred RPM to maybe 1000 at most". I haven't seen/felt any issues with my clutch (1600 miles now) but am curious. I want to say I would certainly notice the the rpms shifting...

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Mine has been perfect. But I've found this clutch needs a little time to bed in conjunction with the standard break-in period. I'm not sure if it's because of the new friction material or the lighter pressure plate. Or maybe both. But if it slips past 600 miles after a good amount of stop & go, probably best to take to the dealer.

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
Maybe this is the odd thing I noticed when I test drove an Si and thought I was experiencing heavy throttle lag when changing gears.

KramVT0215

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe, 2008 Acura TL
Country flag
mine has been totally fine 1300 miles now on it, been driving it aggressively since 400 miles and have ktuner for the last 400 miles on it no issues at all.

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
So the reason I'm starting this thread is that i would just like to get some opinions on your clutch in your brand new SI. Wondering if anyone else is having problems like I am with mid range slippage and over all clutch feel my clutch sometimes feels fairly light.Then other times all the sudden starts feeling rock hard
7500 miles on mine, and I've never noticed any clutch slippage. I can make it shudder if I pause it at the engagement point. And I do find the clutch delay valve amusing to have to compensate, or not compensate for. But slippage? Not yet.

On the other hand I never "dump" the clutch. I let it engage smoothly at about 1200 rpm. Then I disengage the the throttle as I engage the clutch at the same time. Take a beat, as I snip snap the shifter from one gear to another. By then the rpms have dropped enough that I can release the clutch for the next "run".

The clutch has alway felt the same to me each time.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honestly if your ripping through gears and your car isn't broken in yet then your doing it wrong lol make sure to break in your brakes, clutch, and engine before engaging in higher rpms. Otherwise you might burn your clutch.

OP
OP
Blackbettysi

Blackbettysi

First Name
Shain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah I think it's hit-or-miss I have seen a few guys on here with issues but not sure exactly dealer doesn't want to help much. Just says it's fine and no issue

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2015 Hyundai Sante Fe Sport, 2002 Duramax, Sold 1999 Civic Si
Country flag
can you explain "slip a few hundred RPM to maybe 1000 at most"....
By this I mean that the engine revs faster that the trans/car. So in essence the flywheel is spinning faster than the trans input shaft because the disk is slipping. I seems like it might be getting better but I might just be holding back because this slippage is a bad thing.

I am sorry to say that all those that have a shudder on engagement could likely be caused because the clutch has been slipping and the flywheel or pressure plate are now warped due to excessive heat. It will likely not get better IMO. But I hope it does

When I went to purchased my car, the one I test drove had shudder with 55mi on it. I told the dealer that is not right, and I changed cars immediately. The car I bought had 4mi on it and no one drove it.

I really hope the clutch gets better as I really dont want to change it. I can't even imagine how the clutch could hold a tuner. But maybe it will "bed in" as was mentioned.

I'll keep you guys posted on how things go. Thanks for the input so far, and thanks to the OP for starting this thread as I was waiting it out before I posted.

OP
OP
Blackbettysi

Blackbettysi

First Name
Shain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have EXACTLY the same clutch slip issues. I have to assume they all do it, but people are not noticing because it only slips a few hundred RPM to maybe 1000 at most. My car is still new, but at 3k rpm and you apply power in a higher gear like 4th, the engines drives right thru the clutch. It is almost like a controlled slip, as it doesn't flare to redline or anything, it just flares a certain amount and then the car catches up. It has bothered me since day one. I only have about 300mi so far, but i have already noticed it and informed the dealer. I really don't want to bring it in though as I don't want them touching the car, but if something is wrong then it is wrong. But it really seems like a factory issue and that is just the way it is.
Yeah it's ridiculous I honestly want to just go ahead and swap it out with the Clutch Masters but it sucks to have to do that on a brand new car

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
I see two different conversations going on in this thread.

With regards to first gear slippage on take off: This issue really sounds like the delay valve is doing what it was designed to do. Add slip for new drivers, which is really annoying for the more experienced drivers. Get it removed and bleed your clutch. Because fluid can flow more freely and not be blocked by the delay valve's tiny hole, there is a chance that your clutch pedal will firm up. Or at least feel less "mechanical".

Next applying higher power in 4th gear and having the revs idle or even shoot up between shifts. You can totally hear it in this video: .

This is happening because newer cars are programmed to keep a mechanical part (i think it's the throttle body) open for a few seconds to reduce emissions. This "feature" can be tuned out with KTuner. I'm not sure if Hondata does it yet. The revs will drop immediately as you press in the clutch.

OP
OP
Blackbettysi

Blackbettysi

First Name
Shain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I see two different conversations going on in this thread.

With regards to first gear slippage on take off: This issue really sounds like the delay valve is doing what it was designed to do. Add slip for new drivers, which is really annoying for the more experienced drivers. Get it removed and bleed your clutch. Because fluid can flow more freely and not be blocked by the delay valve's tiny hole, there is a chance that your clutch pedal will firm up. Or at least feel less "mechanical".

Next applying higher power in 4th gear and having the revs idle or even shoot up between shifts. You can totally hear it in this video: .

This is happening because newer cars are programmed to keep a mechanical part (i think it's the throttle body) open for a few seconds to reduce emissions. This "feature" can be tuned out with KTuner. I'm not sure if Hondata does it yet. The revs will drop immediately as you press in the clutch.
Well Mike clutch pedal randomly feel stiff and then randomly doesn't so could that have anything to do with the clutch delay valve I deleted mine on the my WRX and it felt much better until my trans blew up lol. Stock transmissions apparently don't like 400 horsepower and 390 torque lol
Sponsored