Clutch Install (Phoenix area)

Chaucer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Anyone have any recommendations for a good shop in/near Phoenix to install a new clutch? I’m leaning towards just taking my retrofit to my Honda dealership and having it installed there since I have a guy I trust but that’s probably going to be pricey.
Sponsored

Tenshi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Any update on this? I am also in the Phoenix area and have a clutchmasters fx300 and flywheel on the way. Any advice you can share with someone about to walk the same path? What was the price tag for labor?

OP
OP
Chaucer

Chaucer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Any update on this? I am also in the Phoenix area and have a clutchmasters fx300 and flywheel on the way. Any advice you can share with someone about to walk the same path? What was the price tag for labor?
Unfortunately I don’t have too much helpful info. I’ve gotten a quote from the dealership for $1700, which is more than I’m willing to pay, and I’m still in the process of getting quotes from other shops. Part of the problem is that I’m a mechanic (airplanes) so normally i do all my own work, I don’t know which local shops are trustworthy. At this point I’ll probably just end up doing it myself, I just didn’t want to deal with doing a job like this on jack stands.

Tenshi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
thanks for getting back to me. I watched a few install videos and yeah, far beyond what I would be comfortable with using jack stands and not a car lift. I could do it if provided a lift but decided to just pay a shop. Funny enough, I dropped the car off this morning at a local shop. Should be around $1300. It hurts but I made peace with that weeks ago.

I should have the car back later this week. I plan on going easy on it for the wear in period but assuming everything holds together, I may be able to recommend a shop in a few weeks. But it is on the north side, over by Deer Valley Airport.

The mechanic and i were joking that the first time that we do a job it takes way longer than it should. The second time is way faster., maybe a bit cheaper for you than what I paid!

OP
OP
Chaucer

Chaucer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
thanks for getting back to me. I watched a few install videos and yeah, far beyond what I would be comfortable with using jack stands and not a car lift. I could do it if provided a lift but decided to just pay a shop. Funny enough, I dropped the car off this morning at a local shop. Should be around $1300. It hurts but I made peace with that weeks ago.

I should have the car back later this week. I plan on going easy on it for the wear in period but assuming everything holds together, I may be able to recommend a shop in a few weeks. But it is on the north side, over by Deer Valley Airport.

The mechanic and i were joking that the first time that we do a job it takes way longer than it should. The second time is way faster., maybe a bit cheaper for you than what I paid!
I did a trial run today and I just can’t get it up high enough for it to not be a miserable experience. I think I’ll just take it to a shop. Let me know how the one you took yours to works out, $1300 is less painful than $1700.

Tenshi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
will do. picking it up today or tomorrow. clutch is laying the foundation for further upgrades. W1 turbo, intercooler and turbo-back exhaust coming in the spring.

OP
OP
Chaucer

Chaucer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
will do. picking it up today or tomorrow. clutch is laying the foundation for further upgrades. W1 turbo, intercooler and turbo-back exhaust coming in the spring.
Any updates on the clutch?

Tenshi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes it is fantastic. There is definitely something to be said about the break in period. The clutch pedal was HEAVY the first week but evened out... probably 50/50 the parts breaking in and me getting used to it. Engagement is a lot smoother and chatter is down about 80% from install day. Way better than stock regarding feel.

I did the 'disable misfire detection for lightweight flywheels' setting on Hondata so it doesn't throw any codes or CEL but there are occasional, brief seconds after a rev-matched shift where i feel the engine isn't putting out the requested power. I am not sure if this is the 'misfire' that would otherwise throw a code but after a second the car figures shit out and starts spinning the engine again. I figure the car is expecting the duel-mass and draws a blank for a second trying to figure out why RPM's aren't following the normal curve.

I haven't really data logged this or pursued it. New turbo and other bolt ons should be going in soon. I'll deal with tuning afterwards.

Dave over at https://www.apexautoaz.com/ did mine. His shop is over by Deer Valley Airport and was close for me but will be a bit more of a drive for you. From what i understand, it is a straightforward clutch job but dropping the sub frame costs in time and labor. So if you want to go for a local shop i understand.

OP
OP
Chaucer

Chaucer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Awesome! I’m glad to hear it. I’m not sure if Ktuner has that disable, but i think the retrofit I’m installing doesn’t usually have that issue. I think I will use that shop since they did a good job, that’s worth the drive to me.

Tenshi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I hear you there. I can verify he has done a 10th gen clutch/flywheel install and it is working as intended. I doubt many shops can say the same due to:

Who drives a clutch these days?
Car is new, why do you need a replacement so soon?

Glad to be a guinea pig. Tell Dave a guy on the forums sent you his way. He is chatty so don't get too locked down in conversation if you have a ride waiting to take you back to Tempe!
Sponsored