First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a 2020 Si Sedan with about 18k miles on it. I tuned it around 7k miles with the phearable 1.5 tune. Last few days around 3500 rpm my clutch is starting to slip. I knew this was a possibility as it’s all over the forums.

I wanted to get some advice on my best clutch options. I really don’t plan on going any crazier than FBO. For a daily driver what would you guys recommend?

Honda Civic 10th gen Clutch Help? D004E58F-3C28-4B19-A932-BE2966236A02

Honda Civic 10th gen Clutch Help? 4D0E74DE-FB79-410A-AD27-460130852B5F

Honda Civic 10th gen Clutch Help? B99E6A83-A721-4C33-A709-AA3E4A186C8F

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Si, 19 Accord 2.0T, 23 Type R
Country flag
At this point there are many clutch options for the 1.5T Civics but there are few worth bothering with. I will go over a few of them:
  • One of, if not the, most loved options is known as the Type R Retrofit. This is an OEM Type R clutch kit that has been retrofitted by a well respected member of the community. The only "trouble" here is that the kits are considered somewhat expensive by many and they are hard to get a hold of. However, I have never heard anyone complain about one once they had it installed. It is a great solution.
  • One of the more recent options that has become very desired is from Competition Clutch. It seems that they build on the concept of using the Type R clutch specifications for their aftermarket clutch design. These kits are very fairly priced but like most of the popular clutch kits, they are hard to get a hold of. The next batch is not supposed to go out until sometime in late November: https://www.twostepperformance.com/products/performance-clutch-kit-for-2016-honda-civic-1-5t
  • ACTs kits have also become pretty popular lately. I don't think there is anything particularly innovative about them, but people have had lots of good to say. Again, out of stock most anywhere. I would expect to wait at about a month for these as well: https://www.twostepperformance.com/...le-disc-clutch-upgrade?variant=31884464291972
  • Last but no least, the aftermarket options from Exedy have been ignored by most due to their advertised torque ratings. However, I have never seen anyone actually report one of these clutches slipping. I believe they are significantly underrated. These clutch kits are sold without an aftermarket flywheel but can be paired with one. They are typically easy to find in stock: https://www.twostepperformance.com/products/2016-honda-civic-1-5l-turbo-stage-2-cerametallic-clutch
Hopefully this is helpful and you can soon be back to fully enjoying your tuned Si.

OP
OP
Kaulpenney

Kaulpenney

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
At this point there are many clutch options for the 1.5T Civics but there are few worth bothering with. I will go over a few of them:
  • One of, if not the, most loved options is known as the Type R Retrofit. This is an OEM Type R clutch kit that has been retrofitted by a well respected member of the community. The only "trouble" here is that the kits are considered somewhat expensive by many and they are hard to get a hold of. However, I have never heard anyone complain about one once they had it installed. It is a great solution.
  • One of the more recent options that has become very desired is from Competition Clutch. It seems that they build on the concept of using the Type R clutch specifications for their aftermarket clutch design. These kits are very fairly priced but like most of the popular clutch kits, they are hard to get a hold of. The next batch is not supposed to go out until sometime in late November: https://www.twostepperformance.com/products/performance-clutch-kit-for-2016-honda-civic-1-5t
  • ACTs kits have also become pretty popular lately. I don't think there is anything particularly innovative about them, but people have had lots of good to say. Again, out of stock most anywhere. I would expect to wait at about a month for these as well: https://www.twostepperformance.com/...le-disc-clutch-upgrade?variant=31884464291972
  • Last but no least, the aftermarket options from Exedy have been ignored by most due to their advertised torque ratings. However, I have never seen anyone actually report one of these clutches slipping. I believe they are significantly underrated. These clutch kits are sold without an aftermarket flywheel but can be paired with one. They are typically easy to find in stock: https://www.twostepperformance.com/products/2016-honda-civic-1-5l-turbo-stage-2-cerametallic-clutch
Hopefully this is helpful and you can soon be back to fully enjoying your tuned Si.
Thank you! Anyone know where to get a good retro fit?

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Looks like it’s sold out
Most of their stuff is sold out all the time and the guy who runs it is presumably so busy he hardly responds to emails. I've heard nothing but good things about the CTR retro but for that reason I won't be getting one.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
was your clutch slipping on map 3?
I've had no clutch issues at all yet *fingers crossed* but I'd like to go full custom tune and maybe a W1 down the line so just preparing for the eventuality

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Looks like it’s sold out
Answer “no” to every option. I see that show as $1600 and available. But you kind of do need to jump on faith. You won’t get a lot of communication and shipping may be slow. I’ve never heard anyone say anything bad about the clutch itself though.

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is a great summary of options. On Exedy, the thing that actually concerns me is having only a rigid disc. I could see maybe if you were replacing on a new (newish) DMF but I’m 36k in and would want to switch to SMF but there is no sprung option from Exedy. I would be ok running the DMF, I’m pretty used to it and this is a DD but you can’t resurface and replacing the DMF is $$ (but I guess the Exedy SMF is expensive too). Anyway, curious if you have any thoughts/experience with reusing the DMF? I know people with CM had issues doing that, but those clutches are problematic anyway so maybe it was more the clutch than the flywheel? Any insight here appreciated.

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Si, 19 Accord 2.0T, 23 Type R
Country flag
This is a great summary of options. On Exedy, the thing that actually concerns me is having only a rigid disc. I could see maybe if you were replacing on a new (newish) DMF but I’m 36k in and would want to switch to SMF but there is no sprung option from Exedy. I would be ok running the DMF, I’m pretty used to it and this is a DD but you can’t resurface and replacing the DMF is $$ (but I guess the Exedy SMF is expensive too). Anyway, curious if you have any thoughts/experience with reusing the DMF? I know people with CM had issues doing that, but those clutches are problematic anyway so maybe it was more the clutch than the flywheel? Any insight here appreciated.
I am not familiar with any issues of re-using the OEM DMF. As you stated, I agree that it is wise to pair a rigid disc with a dampened flywheel, which eliminates all aftermarket flywheel options. I'm sure there are some that are using this exedy disc with a SMF but I have not heard much said about it.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
As long as the DMF is in decent shape, should be no reason Exedy's options don't work well with it, and if you ask, they'll actually recommend it if you want more of a stock-like feel. I really don't understand why they didn't come out w/ a sprung disc option to pair w/ their SMF. They could sell a lot of clutches if they came out w/ something good, seeing as they are the OEM and should know what they are doing. I'd be fine w/ sticking w/ the DMF as well, but seeing as it can't be resurfaced and a clutch/FW is probably getting replaced due to slipping, who wants to put in a new disc with a worn out FW. And it's too expensive to buy a new one.

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
The only thing preventing me from buying the stage1 exedy is the lack of a sprung disk option. I don't want to reuse my DMF, I don't think it will last long. I think I'll get the competition.
Sponsored