1.5T Clutch Chatter

Krunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2017 1,5t Hatchback
Country flag
Hello.

I have a Civic 1.5t 2017 and it has problems with clutch chatter. The car is stock and has done 29000km.
It does it in first gear when it is cold., but also sometimes when it is warm, and sometimes it dosnt do it - It is very random.
Honda looked at the car 2years ago, and said it was to be expected. They will look at it again, but what can be expected form a new Honda clutch, will the problem go away for good?

I have looked at aftermarket options.
I prefer a close to normal clutch without problems with clutch chatter - If it can handle a Ktuner update it will be a plus.

I found the Clutchmasters FX100 with a single mass flywheel, but I have not been able to find any expirience with this combo - Anyone?

Thanks Krunder
Sponsored

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
clutch master and spec users have had issues with chatter, gear lockout at high rpm/load and very short life span(20-30k miles). ACT's clutch kit seems to have the least amount of issues. I can't speak for myself yet as the kit is still in the box waiting install but from all the posts I read on clutches it's probably your best bet short of a CTR retrofit. It will also handle 364 ft lbs, which is pretty much full bolt on with stock turbo power level. The FX100 won't even be able to handle a ktuner without failing.

OP
OP

Krunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2017 1,5t Hatchback
Country flag
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback 1.5T LX 6MT
Country flag
It looks like CTR Retrofit is not an option. I send him an email and asked if he ships overseas - No reply.
So I looked a little more and found this:
https://prlmotorsports.com/competitionclutchandflywheelkitfor2016hondacivic15tl15b7.aspx
and they ship worldwide :) It is a 240mm clutch disc like the Type R and should have a comforable pedal :)
It will be in stock 11/20 - Price 904$
I'm also interested in feedback on the Competition Clutch unit. That price, though...ouch.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
I'm also interested in feedback on the Competition Clutch unit. That price, though...ouch.
That prince includes a lightweight flywheel. It's pretty much neck and neck with any other clutch and flywheel kits.

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That prince includes a lightweight flywheel. It's pretty much neck and neck with any other clutch and flywheel kits.
Not sure I want to swap the flywheel out, as I want to be able to go back to stock ECU settings if need be, and ive heard a light flywheel will cause a misfire CEL.

Just want a clutch that will hold the modest increase in HP/TQ from the TSP-1 tune I’m running (that’s our only mod).

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Not sure I want to swap the flywheel out, as I want to be able to go back to stock ECU settings if need be, and ive heard a light flywheel will cause a misfire CEL.

Just want a clutch that will hold the modest increase in HP/TQ from the TSP-1 tune I’m running (that’s our only mod).
AFAIK the only clutch kits worth looking at for long-term use would be ACT, Competition, or CTR retro. All of which require a flywheel.

Is your clutch slipping on TSP1? I haven't had any issues yet and I'm nearly FBO.

AdamSI

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si coupe
Country flag
the exedy stage 1 clutch is underrated at 235 wheel torque. bill garret from exedy said the numbers are low and should hold up to 325 torque i read on here. maybe check out that option. its a 40% increase over stock clutch for holding power

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
AFAIK the only clutch kits worth looking at for long-term use would be ACT, Competition, or CTR retro. All of which require a flywheel.

Is your clutch slipping on TSP1? I haven't had any issues yet and I'm nearly FBO.
Yes, it did slip once, under heavy throttle in 4th or 5th gear. Car was loaded down pretty good. See my thread about it in this forum.

That’s great that you have not had any issues.

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
the exedy stage 1 clutch is underrated at 235 wheel torque. bill garret from exedy said the numbers are low and should hold up to 325 torque i read on here. maybe check out that option. its a 40% increase over stock clutch for holding power
Is replacing the FW required with the Exedy?

I don’t plan on many more mods. Down the line, I might do a cat-back exhaust and possibly a CAI, but that would be it, as this is the wife’s DD, and it needs to be reliable, especially as we have a kid on the way.

AdamSI

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si coupe
Country flag
They said no it can be used with either but the after marker flywheel is only 20lbs. Exedy makes our OEM clutches so should last but depends on the driver

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Is replacing the FW required with the Exedy?

I don’t plan on many more mods. Down the line, I might do a cat-back exhaust and possibly a CAI, but that would be it, as this is the wife’s DD, and it needs to be reliable, especially as we have a kid on the way.
No, but yes, lol. Their clutches will work w/ the stock DMF, but they won't warranty the clutch if you don't replace the FW at the same time. If your original FW isn't too glazed, you can probably get by w/ just replacing the clutch, but if it's started slipping on occasion, the FW probably should just be replaced. Unfortunately DMFs can't be resurfaced.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag

That's for the 16 lbs aluminum flywheels, not the 20 lbs steel one. No one has said they got a CEL with a steel flywheel regardless of the make that I read about.

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That's for the 16 lbs aluminum flywheels, not the 20 lbs steel one. No one has said they got a CEL with a steel flywheel regardless of the make that I read about.
Oh, OK, thanks for that information! I wasn’t aware of that.

In that case, it wouldn’t bother me to swap FWs.

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7,RW2,RD1,RD5,RE5,RU1,FK1,FN2,EP3
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello.

I have a Civic 1.5t 2017 and it has problems with clutch chatter. The car is stock and has done 29000km.
It does it in first gear when it is cold., but also sometimes when it is warm, and sometimes it dosnt do it - It is very random.
Honda looked at the car 2years ago, and said it was to be expected. They will look at it again, but what can be expected form a new Honda clutch, will the problem go away for good?

I have looked at aftermarket options.
I prefer a close to normal clutch without problems with clutch chatter - If it can handle a Ktuner update it will be a plus.

I found the Clutchmasters FX100 with a single mass flywheel, but I have not been able to find any expirience with this combo - Anyone?

Thanks Krunder
I have been following the aftermarket options for quite some time. It seems that the only two sets I have not read bad reviews for are ACT and Competition. Then again, probably not as many have been installed.

Exedy does not have the L15 clutch set available in Europe yet. I asked them. It will probably be early 2021, so you will need to import it from the USA if you need it sooner than that. Again, not too much info on the Exedy.

Going for a SMF is mandatory, I havent seen anyone complaining about CELs with "normal"(not lightweight) flywheels. The rev hang operation however is something that needs to be taken into account, how the car will operate with a lighter flywheel. That is my only concern(I do not have the rev hang delete option on my Ktuner).

So practically, if you need a clutch "today", either go with Competition, ACT or Exedy.

-Competition you can get via PRL. PRL have a distributor in the EU(Hondaperformances). So contact them to avoid import taxes. Competition Flywheel is 22lbs. Clutch is rates for over 50Nm of torque. That sounds like way too much for the clutch to be a daily driver.

-ACT I believe have representation in the UK. They are also available through PRL. ACT claims 49Nm of torque for the daily driver. Again, quite a lot. Flywheel is 17.6lbs.

-Exedy is import from USA only at the moment. Exedy flywheel is 19.3lbs. More light doesnt necessary mean better. On the other hand, clutch is rated for 32Nm of torque. Sounds more drivable on a daily basis.

So over all, the Exedy seems to be the best combo of daily driver and torque capacity. BUT, I fear that it will practically be the stock clutch(or worse) with only a lighter flywheel which will make the car jerky in certain conditions. On the other hand, Competition has the heaviest flywheel(which maybe is a good thing for rev hang), but is rated for a lot of torque which makes me wonder if it will be a daily driver. Also, I believe the Competition has a 240mm disc like the FK8. That maybe will make the clutch drivable in traffic conditions.

Prices for all 3 are similar. While common sense says to go for Exedy since they are OEM manufactures, my experience on aftermarket Exedys (on EP3 Type-Rs) is not great.

PS. The CTR retrofit is the best way to go. Stock flywheel, stock FK8 clutch. Good luck getting in touch. I had managed to find the guy like a year ago but good communication is needed because I also need it shipped overseas. Communication is just not there with the guy. Even if you are in the USA, you order and wait until God knows how long. Its so strange to me, this guy has a goldmine of a business in his hands, he could expand it and make a shit load of money while we all get the best product. Such a shame he isn't such a great business man as much as a great mechanic.
Sponsored

Last edited: