Clutch burned after 300 miles

RKS17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G37s
Country flag
I know the clutch is the weak link but my 16 yo has put 3000 miles on his (he is a shitty driver) with no slipping or catastrophic failure.
Sponsored

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
In before the discovery that the car was abused like mostly happens with this kind of threads.

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In before the discovery that the car was abused like mostly happens with this kind of threads.
Lol honestly this reminds me of those stories where a plot twist comes in and he literally burnt the clutch to pieces.. that would be new.

Almost as funny as when people tune and throw Anti Lag on, conveniently leave that out of the post, and just say the engine randomly threw a rod on a Stage 1 tune.
Love it.

Not saying I don’t believe OP, but I’m curious to see how this goes. At least worst case scenario it’s only $400, but if the story is true and checks out, it’s still BS that he even has to pay that.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I mean the only thing you could think is that someone at the dealer or in shipping had a nice clutch roasting session with the car before they put it up for sale.

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
Did you notice any weird smell from the clutch burning at any point? I can see a clutch going bad in 300 miles if you purposely abused it and rode the clutch while doing burnouts but under regular driving, that pretty outrageous. Sorry you’re having to pay anything to have this replaced. What a shitty situation.

mocaSi

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si & 2016 Honda Fit
Country flag
the clutch is a wear item, just like your tires and brake pads,

a slipping clutch wont be covered under warranty

if a bearing let go and it exploded, thats a whole different case
Yes you are correct, but this is a brand new vehicle with 300 miles on it. Op said he is a experienced driver and I believe him but let's say he's the worst driver and has no experience driving a manual. This would not happen in just 300 miles. This clutch had a catastrophic failure and he should not and hopefully will not have to pay for it. I would absolutely be contacting American Honda asap. The evidence is there, either manufacture error or someone at the dealership sabotaged his vehicle.

Sgrd0q

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RSX type s
Country flag
You can burn a clutch to the point that it is slipping in 0 miles. I used to have a BMW M3 in Manhattan (late ‘90s) and I kept in at the parking garage of my building which was essentially a valet parking. I once saw the attendant gun the engine while trying to go up a ramp with the car barely moving and the clutch smoking. He obviously couldn’t drive stick. I ended up replacing the clutch in the first year. Not sure how many miles. We have an Acura RSX Type-S in my family that I bought new in 2002 with 230k miles and original clutch. Go figure.

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If bought now and its messed up at 300 miles there is no way they could deny that claim. Especially if your car is stock.

R-Rated

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Happened to me with a mazda 6 back in the day. It ended up being the transmission was bad.

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan ABM, 2017 CR-V EX, formerly 2005 Saab 9-2x, 1986 Prelude Si
Country flag
I call BS on the whole thread. A clutch doesn't wear out in 300 miles. There is no way a dealership would look at that and casually say you just wore it out after 300 miles.
You may be correct. The story, as it stands, just doesn't add up. I wish @Yitzz would pop back in here and fill in some of the missing details

ian408

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type R Sonic
Country flag
I say pay the $400 and call it a cheap lesson.

Like so many others have said, the clutch is a wear item and unless Honda were to look closely at how the clutch was assembled, there’s not much chance of it being warranty. That said, keep your paperwork. And if you haven’t, the parts as well.

Good luck.

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You may be correct. The story, as it stands, just doesn't add up. I wish @Yitzz would pop back in here and fill in some of the missing details
His only post being that he burned the clutch and no updates stinks of this being fake.
I was hopeful, lol. They should lock this thread since he clearly isn’t coming back.

mocaSi

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si & 2016 Honda Fit
Country flag
It won't matter, I could kill a clutch in 5 miles if I wanted to,

On a side note, I have a funny feeling we are not hearing the entire story, or a 100 percent true story from the OP
You're probably correct being that he hasn't added any more details and feedback since the post.
Sponsored