Clutch advice

ChillSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Hi I have a 2020 Civic Si with the Ktuner on it running the 19.5/23psi tune noticed today the clutch was slipping just woundering if the fx400 puck clutch was any good or not thanks
Sponsored

@thatblu_si

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aegean Blue 2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Hi I have a 2020 Civic Si with the Ktuner on it running the 19.5/23psi tune noticed today the clutch was slipping just woundering if the fx400 puck clutch was any good or not thanks
I have the fx400 rigid disc clutch and dual-mass flywheel on my 2019 si. Honestly it all depends on your long term goals with the car if it'll be worth it for you.

OP
OP
ChillSi

ChillSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
I have the fx400 rigid disc clutch and dual-mass flywheel on my 2019 si. Honestly it all depends on your long term goals with the car if it'll be worth it for you.
I’m gonna build it is my daily but I always make my daily my race car and every place I look the disc is sold out I can’t find one

reesee175

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic sport
Country flag
I would recommend type r retro or competition clutch from prl.

Masked

First Name
Jos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I have competition clutch stage 2, I think its the best clutch if you are looking to upgrade apart from the type r retro if you can find one. Only thing is you'll have to upgrade the CMC also, I would say stay away from Clutchmaster

Turtle_714

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
I've got an FX400 with a light weight flywheel. I can say I love this clutch, but I also know there are better clutches out there. At the time that I needed a clutch all my first picks were out of stock. The FX400 grabs hard, but with a sprung disc it is still obtainable to be a comfortable daily. The pedal is much stiffer but does not by any means leave my leg tired or anything. I think it's an awesome race application clutch kit but they do not last very long. I think the avg is 15-20K miles. I've heard anybody say much more than that. Most I've heard of is around 30K miles. When I have to replace mine, I'll probably try CTR retro fit if in stock or comp clutch, possibly ACT as well.

OP
OP
ChillSi

ChillSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
I've got an FX400 with a light weight flywheel. I can say I love this clutch, but I also know there are better clutches out there. At the time that I needed a clutch all my first picks were out of stock. The FX400 grabs hard, but with a sprung disc it is still obtainable to be a comfortable daily. The pedal is much stiffer but does not by any means leave my leg tired or anything. I think it's an awesome race application clutch kit but they do not last very long. I think the avg is 15-20K miles. I've heard anybody say much more than that. Most I've heard of is around 30K miles. When I have to replace mine, I'll probably try CTR retro fit if in stock or comp clutch, possibly ACT as well.
Have you heard anything about the spec stage 3+ clutch kit?

Turtle_714

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag

@thatblu_si

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Lol sounds like we are in the same boat friend, ive heard the same things but sadly i heard them after i installed the fx400. But when the times comes and this clutch starts to go i will probably be going with the ctr retro cuz ive heard alot of great things about it

Turtle_714

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Lol sounds like we are in the same boat friend, ive heard the same things but sadly i heard them after i installed the fx400. But when the times comes and this clutch starts to go i will probably be going with the ctr retro cuz ive heard alot of great things about it
Ya same, here, that is my number one pick but it was sold out at the time that I needed a clutch asap. It seems to be the best one. I actually like the FX400 just not the longevity of it. I like the pedal stiffness, the way it grabs, the lightweight flywheel , all that. It is unfortunate they do not last long. I'm at about 3-4K miles in. Wish you luck!

@thatblu_si

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ya same, here, that is my number one pick but it was sold out at the time that I needed a clutch asap. It seems to be the best one. I actually like the FX400 just not the longevity of it. I like the pedal stiffness, the way it grabs, the lightweight flywheel , all that. It is unfortunate they do not last long. I'm at about 3-4K miles in. Wish you luck!
Yea i actually still have the dual mass flywheel on mine. I wouldnt say the fx400 is the best for daily driving but i like harsh and rough rides so it doesnt bother me much. Pedal feel isnt much different than stock but it grabs way faster and way harder than stock lol Ima be honest i dont actually know how many miles are on mine but i got a question for you, do you get alot of clutch chatter? Sometimes coming out in first gear if i release the pedal slightly faster than normal i get this grinding sound that i can feel all the way in the clutch pedal. Other than that i get the usual clutch chatter when moving around at low speed

Turtle_714

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Yea i actually still have the dual mass flywheel on mine. I wouldnt say the fx400 is the best for daily driving but i like harsh and rough rides so it doesnt bother me much. Pedal feel isnt much different than stock but it grabs way faster and way harder than stock lol Ima be honest i dont actually know how many miles are on mine but i got a question for you, do you get alot of clutch chatter? Sometimes coming out in first gear if i release the pedal slightly faster than normal i get this grinding sound that i can feel all the way in the clutch pedal. Other than that i get the usual clutch chatter when moving around at low speed
I noticed a lot of that chatter, and especially in reverse while it was being broken in. I guess it still does chatter a little cause I had my windshield replaced last week and when the guy drove my car up to me, I noticed all the chatter while standing there, but when I'm in the car the only time I notice chatter is in reverse. It isn't really noticeable in any other gears anymore. And I would agree, this is a great race application for track or drag strips, but as far as a daily, it's very doable but probably not the easiest option by any means. I personally prefer the lightweight flywheel cause it makes rev matching so much quicker and easier (for me) I can just just barely blip the throttle to make it raised 1500rpms instead of kind of pressing on the gas slowly and heavily like before. To each their own though. Not sure if one is necessarily better than the other.

Ty3366!!

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
Have you heard anything about the spec stage 3+ clutch kit?
I have the SPEC Stage 3+ clutch with their aluminum smf. Ive had it on my car for about 5k miles and i love it. I contacted them and they werent sure if it fit, so i offered to drive out there for them to install as i live in GA (bout a 3hr drive). Long story short, it fit perfectly. But the guys there ragged on the si and the type R stock clutches, that they are terrible at holding power. I was on the TSP stg 1 tune bone stock and my flywheel was so glazed when they took it off, it was unreal. But anyways the clutch is still pretty street friendly you can kinda ride it although it does jerk ya if you ride it to much and when you dump the clutch you can really feel it smack the flywheel and grip that ass. I would not get a puck clutch of any kind for daily driving.

NicKoLi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
So what would everyones advice be on a fully bolt on car with upgraded turbo from rv6 soon eough, but is a daily driven vehicle. I want something smooth and grips but is comfortable enough for a daily and will last. I think I felt a slip in 5th gear on the highway although it was pouring out im not absolutely sure. Running cobra cai , mishimoto intercooler and prl catted downpipe with greddy exhaust.

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Si, 19 Accord 2.0T, 23 Type R
Country flag
The clutch market for this platform has been evolving ever since the car came out. The latest to market is the Competition Clutch kit and it's design takes inspiration from the factory FK8 setup, which is proven to work very well for this platform. The Competition Clutch kit is still fairly new but all feedback so far has been very positive. It is currently our top recommendation:

https://www.twostepperformance.com/products/performance-clutch-kit-for-2016-honda-civic-1-5t

Like most good parts for this platform, it is currently out of stock. Other suggestions would be the kits from:

• SPEC (built to order, would take a couple of days)
  • Exedy (likely in stock for immediate shipment)
  • ACT (might be waiting a while)
https://www.twostepperformance.com/...itment","Universal"],["Fitment","Universal"]]

I would specifically not recommend any of the Clutchmasters options. They seem to be hit or miss and you don't want to miss on something like this.
Sponsored