Eduardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03' Corolla, 91' Integra, 18' Civic Type R
Country flag
Sup everyone.

Car is an 18' Civic Type-R

About two weeks ago I noticed I hear a clunking noise whenever I turn the wheel and go over an imperfection on the road, speed bump or anything along those lines. I only hear it on the driver front. I do have Swift springs installed, I highly doubt it has anything to do with it. I was told by a gentleman directly from Swift that I did not need to cut them. So, to be honest I eliminated that option. I took it to Honda, after test driving my car and doing whatever else they did, I was told I had to pay the diagnostic issue because my car has a lowering kit on it, so whatever.

In addition, I have done some research and some have posted that the steering rack was as issue? Issue with a tie rod heating up after driving for a bit. However, I hear the noise at cold or operating temperature. Really aiming towards something with steering because I can go over a speed bump in a straight line and nothing. Turn the wheel a bit while trying to reverse at low speed for example and clunk, I hear it. Others have said that the top nut of the spring/strut had to be torqued down, and that we did not do.

What I am looking to do is removing the strut/spring combo and torquing everything down to spec. I jacked it up, took a look, felt around and nothing seems out of the norm.

Any other recommendations from fellow members?

Thanks for reading and helping. I also posted in suspension, if not allowed, please delete.
Sponsored

Mugenkb1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Acura RL, 16 Acura MDX, 17 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag

Cscott_xGen

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
My SI does this I heard it was something to do with the breaks shims being loose and moving around

Chris_FC1

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Is anybody having these clunking noise? Load on the suspension and jumping up and down on the car caused it to make that clunking noise. No load on the car and on jack stands jumping up and down doesn’t make any noise. On low speed from 5-45 mph will have that clunking noise but on freeway speeds the clunking goes away. I’m on Whiteline lowering springs and have there end links and sway bar installed.

Attachments

Chris_FC1

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Check the nuts on top of the strut and also the nuts on the front end links. Could also try taking a look at the ball joint.

Chris_FC1

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Check the nuts on top of the strut and also the nuts on the front end links. Could also try taking a look at the ball joint.
I tightened the top nut on the strut until
It wouldn’t let me tighten anymore. One of my front end links were loose but took it apart and made sure it was the same length as the oem ones but still had the clunking noise. Do you know how much play should be in the ball joint?

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I tightened the top nut on the strut until
It wouldn’t let me tighten anymore. One of my front end links were loose but took it apart and made sure it was the same length as the oem ones but still had the clunking noise. Do you know how much play should be in the ball joint?
There shouldn't be any play. Was the nut on the ball joint not fully torqued?

Chris_FC1

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
There shouldn't be any play. Was the nut on the ball joint not fully torqued?
You’re talking about the 3 nuts that attaches the wheeL end to the lower control arm right? If it is that they were all torqued.

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
No
You’re talking about the 3 nuts that attaches the wheeL end to the lower control arm right? If it is that they were all torqued.
Not those, the crown nut on the top of the ball joint.
Did you have any other modifications to the front suspension?

Chris_FC1

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I know what you are talking about now. I will have to check that and make sure. I have whiteline springs, end links and front sway bar installed to the front end.
Sponsored