Clunking noise front driver side wheel well

Spacesloth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
I went through the front brakes, cleaning and lubricating all contact points and it didn’t help the clunking in my case.
Sponsored

ClemsonPatriot

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've been having this same issue for a few weeks now. It was first only on the front driver's side but not sounds like it's on the front passenger too.

I hear the clunk when going over a bump, uneven road, or when turning and the car shifts weight some. So this appears to be an issue with the rubber seat for the spring?? I don't think it is the brakes like some of y'all are having.... but I'm really not sure.

e85sbm

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I've been having this same issue for a few weeks now. It was first only on the front driver's side but not sounds like it's on the front passenger too.

I hear the clunk when going over a bump, uneven road, or when turning and the car shifts weight some. So this appears to be an issue with the rubber seat for the spring?? I don't think it is the brakes like some of y'all are having.... but I'm really not sure.
You definitely have a suspension issue, brakes don't shift when turning, especially if it is the strange floating caliper versus pad issue that seems to be discussed in this thread

ClemsonPatriot

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You definitely have a suspension issue, brakes don't shift when turning, especially if it is the strange floating caliper versus pad issue that seems to be discussed in this thread
That's what i thought and dreaded it being. I'm hoping it's something simple as a bolt needing torqued to the proper spec. However if it's a worn spring or strut (only 18k miles on the car) I am going to insist replacing those parts on all 4.....

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Saw some info on the PRL turbo thread. I guess there might be a recall for the drive shaft. In December tho, there waiting on the parts to do this in mass

SiX

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe
Country flag
1) Chunkiness in the front driver wheel
- Yup, I noticed it right off the bat. Happens consistently when slow rolling up a steep driveway at an angle. I first thought it was the anti-lock brakes kicking in, because I felt it in the brake pedal.
- Recently started thinking it might be the VSA, so I'm going to disable it and see if it makes any difference. I'll break out the GoPro and record it and show it to the service tech as well.
2) Freeway surging
- Saw a few threads in the General 10th Gen Forum that seemed to describe a similar issue with the turbo. Also an article on Edmunds.com describing an update (https://www.edmunds.com/honda/civic...da-civic-dithering-throttle-software-fix.html)
- Typically when it's cool (or the engine hasn't had 20-30 minutes warm up) between 5th and 6th gears cruising on the freeway at 60-65mph occasionally I'll feel the power drop. I notice the turbo pressure is near -1psi when it happens, so I'm not surprised there could be some fluctuation between boost and back-pressure (I'll leave that to the more mechanically inclined to explain, but blame a firmware engineer)

Honda Civic 10th gen Clunking noise front driver side wheel well 2016_honda_civic_det_lt_11017_717

CanadiaegeanBlue

First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Aegean Blue Metallic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Add me to the list of Si owners experiencing this. Was happening before I added the H&R springs, so I'm hoping it's an issue that can be warrantied if there's a service bulletin for a fix.

On a side note, can anyone confirm if the rear sway bars are held by plastic endlinks? Theres lots of little clunks and nuances with the front and rear suspension, and the cure I feel for those would be better bushings, endlinks, perhaps beefier control arms, and mounts. Problem is that these items will add more vibration. I'm keeping an eye out to see what will become available to help dramatically reduce this sloppiness, without making everything rattle on the inside.

Last edited:

Gsnail13

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Add me to the list of Si owners experiencing this. Was happening before I added the H&R springs, so I'm hoping it's an issue that can be warrantied if there's a service bulletin for a fix.

On a side note, can anyone confirm if the rear sway bars are held by plastic endlinks? Theres lots of little clunks and nuances with the front and rear suspension, and the cure I feel for those would be better bushings, endlinks, perhaps beefier control arms, and mounts. Problem is that these items will add more vibration. I'm keeping an eye out to see what will become available to help dramatically reduce this sloppiness, without making everything rattle on the inside.
I could be wrong but I coulda swore I saw pics on the Facebook page that they were plastic. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

grifocx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
1) Chunkiness in the front driver wheel
- Yup, I noticed it right off the bat. Happens consistently when slow rolling up a steep driveway at an angle. I first thought it was the anti-lock brakes kicking in, because I felt it in the brake pedal.
Exactly, up hills in that way like you described is where it is easy to replicate.

Mugenkb1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Acura RL, 16 Acura MDX, 17 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag

grifocx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Update on my end, finally had the techs take a look. The driver side driveshaft has a curve to it which makes noise at certain loads. They are ordering a new part to replace it. No word on if there is a full recall happening, which has been mentioned on various threads.

Mugenkb1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Acura RL, 16 Acura MDX, 17 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
Update on my end, finally had the techs take a look. The driver side driveshaft has a curve to it which makes noise at certain loads. They are ordering a new part to replace it. No word on if there is a full recall happening, which has been mentioned on various threads.
Oh that sucks. I wonder if the curve was by design or it curved overtime? If it’s a faulty design, and they replace it with the same part, wouldn’t the issue come up again? The noise on mine disappeared since it’s been 90-100 degrees lately.

Noticed that @kshawn noted up above that if it’s a driveshalf issue, the recall may happen in December because of parts.

Last edited:

grifocx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Oh that sucks. I wonder if the curve was by design or it curved overtime? If it’s a faulty design, and they replace it with the same part, wouldn’t the issue come up again? The noise on mine disappeared since it’s been 90-100 degrees lately.

Noticed that @kshawn noted up above that if it’s a driveshalf issue, the recall may happen in December because of parts.
Noise has been there since I bought it, so my guess is that there is a flaw in the design or the manufacturing of that part and a subset of all that rolled out are not right. Not sure if the part I am getting is a new design or not, guess we will find out!

Vader_Si

First Name
Ryota Watanabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si Sedan 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just noticed this today.. I don't think I can get it fixed with my Eibach-Prokit installed.. :(

Robotaz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
Just noticed this today.. I don't think I can get it fixed with my Eibach-Prokit installed.. :(
Which of the multiple issues discussed in this thread are you saying you noticed? The clunking sound OP started with?
Sponsored