Clunking noise front driver side wheel well

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Ahh so we are talking about 11/15 below. Interesting that it seems to only happen on the right side. I don't know how this could effectively be greased without a spring compressor and removing the assembly to get at it properly. That being said, maybe this is enough info to take to the dealer and get them to try and solve.
3214631.png
So just today removed my driver side wheel and sprayed the heck out of every rubber competent in the front suspension with silicone spray, including the rubber spring insulators. Honestly I doubt it is going to solve the problem but it was worth a try.

I also checked to torque of the strut mounting nuts and they were fine. Nothing seemed loose whatsoever.

Will report back if this helped anything.
Sponsored

grifocx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Yep, I checked the torque on the strut mounts (made sure all the same and matched on left and right). Also checked torque on the wheel nuts too.

I bet silicone spray won't do much. Based on the noise and even feeling the clunk, something is moving a fair amount. A good grease that is thick and sticky might solve it.

So just today removed my driver side wheel and sprayed the heck out of every rubber competent in the front suspension with silicone spray, including the rubber spring insulators. Honestly I doubt it is going to solve the problem but it was worth a try.

I also checked to torque of the strut mounting nuts and they were fine. Nothing seemed loose whatsoever.

Will report back if this helped anything.

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Yep, I checked the torque on the strut mounts (made sure all the same and matched on left and right). Also checked torque on the wheel nuts too.

I bet silicone spray won't do much. Based on the noise and even feeling the clunk, something is moving a fair amount. A good grease that is thick and sticky might solve it.
Yes I can verify silicone spray did nothing. The mystery continues.

Pretty disappointed in Honda. I have literally checked everything in that area even the engine undercover. Cant find the cause.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I've been fiddling with this issue off & on. The click noise from the brakes seems to go away when the pads are pressed against the rotor. I suspect it has something to do with the caliper grooves where they make contact with the brake pad ears. In modern setups, a retainer spring is often used on the caliper assembly. Honda seems to use some type of retainer that's internal to the pads, and may not completely isolate movement when the brakes are disengaged.

#8 on the illustration below, V-shaped:

Honda Civic 10th gen Clunking noise front driver side wheel well upload_2018-6-20_14-24-18

By contrast, here's Mazda's design. The retainer spring (#10) is external to the caliper assembly, and keeps the pad firmly nestled against the caliper grooves.

Honda Civic 10th gen Clunking noise front driver side wheel well upload_2018-6-20_14-26-56

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I've been fiddling with this issue off & on. The click noise from the brakes seems to go away when the pads are pressed against the rotor. I suspect it has something to do with the caliper grooves where they make contact with the brake pad ears. In modern setups, a retainer spring is often used on the caliper assembly. Honda seems to use some type of retainer that's internal to the pads, and may not completely isolate movement when the brakes are disengaged.

#8 on the illustration below, V-shaped:

upload_2018-6-20_14-24-18.png

By contrast, here's Mazda's design. The retainer spring (#10) is external to the caliper assembly, and keeps the pad firmly nestled against the caliper grooves.

upload_2018-6-20_14-26-56.png

I think you are in the right track. I noticed too the noise goes away with braking. I am going to apply some brake quiet to all surfaced and see if it helps - will report back later!

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Good news for those affected by this. I am moderately confident we found a solution. After reading over the posts above I decided to completely clean and apply brake quiet to every shim surface (outer and inner) and the outer contact points of the pad to caliper area. (Not apply to the slides!) for the slides I re applied some slyglide.

I used Loctite brake quiet stick (could only find it on amazon)

I took out the car for a 5 mile test ride and - no noise!!! My only hope is this lasts a long time. I have some faith because the brake quiet does not break down easily whatsoever like molykote that Honda uses.

Side note - I also decided to re-coat the calipers a little paint cause here in Michigan even after 1 year the calipers already looked corroded and rusty. Used Por 15 caliper specific paint in silver - hope it holds up!

Also I have never see a Honda brake design quite like this. They did a lot to decrease brake drag on the front pads. They built in not one, but two spring systems to help the pads stay retracted from the disks. One is that little V spring seen above and the second set is built directly into the pad retaining clips. Pretty nice attention to the little things by Honda!

Last edited:

e85sbm

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Not sure how a suspension thread switched to a brakes noise thread, but I am glad some forum members are getting results

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
That's the thing though. It is not the suspension, it is the brake pad clanging against the caliper.

grifocx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
There is a theory that the noise many of us have been talking about is movement of the pad within the caliper.

e85sbm

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic EX-T
Country flag
So is it more of a tink sound or a clunk sound? Because there are very different materials in the brakes than in the suspension and will make a different tone of sound

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
One day, I ran over a large pothole and I had the same clunking sound on the front right that drove me crazy for a couple of days. Then, with my fist, I hit on the right tire's sidewall all around and heard the rattle. Did the other side and no noise. I figured it had something to do with either the right side's linkage, brakes, or loose wheel. Turns out, it was the shield that was hitting the back of the rotor. I simply bent it out a little, noise gone. Check it out.
Picture of area?

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I'm having this issue as well. Stock suspension. But I am running 255 40 18, on a 18x9.5. +45.

Robotaz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
I heard a small metallic clunk on an Si sedan test drive when I hit the raised concrete curb lip while pulling into an office parking lot.

From my experience, front end clunks have been hit or miss with Hondas, but most of mine have had some sort of clunking sounds.

I think it's just what we get for an economical setup with tight handling.

grifocx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Agreed, things are never as tight and quiet all around as a $40k car. That is the trade off!

I heard a small metallic clunk on an Si sedan test drive when I hit the raised concrete curb lip while pulling into an office parking lot.

From my experience, front end clunks have been hit or miss with Hondas, but most of mine have had some sort of clunking sounds.

I think it's just what we get for an economical setup with tight handling.

e85sbm

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Disappointing to hear that this is normal. Maybe it looks like I'll go back to German brands once I get into my new house
Sponsored