Clunking noise front driver side wheel well

FK7Build

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
This is a problem I'm having, in addition to the drives side clunk. An independent and trustworthy tech said to check motor mounts.

Regardless, only 5 years old and I'm have all sorts of front end problems.

I honestly want to drop the struts and rebuild them. Drop the subframe, replace sway bar and bushings and links, replace the control arms and tie rod ends, all motor/Trans mounts, both CV axles...

did i forget anything else?

Geeze Honda, I'm extremely disappointed in this car.
I replaced both my engine and transmission mounts to no avail. Then the tie rods. Sway bar and links looked good so didn’t mess with those. Replaced the ball joint. Still no change. Then I noticed something.

Honda built the control arm diagram to have multiple components. There is a rubber washer/bushing that goes between one point of the control arm and subframe. I had take my passenger side out prior and forgot to put the rubber washer back in. There was my clunk.
Sponsored

redfred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Last w/e I replaced my front sway bar end links with new OEM links. I noticed that the old driver's side end link ball-joints flex easier than the passenger's side, but no "up and down" movement in the joints.

While under the car, I noticed a missing push-pin fastener in the plastic under-tray panel just in front of the wheel. I replaced that fastener with an OEM one. (I sorta hit a few orange cones last summer.)

So far I've done about 100 highway miles over bumps that would generate the noise, and it's quiet. Maybe I fixed the issue?

I still suspect the brake pads are the rattling root cause though, and wonder if winter cold temperatures have any effect.

Just another data point on this issue, I will update.

redfred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Update: After a longer road trip the rattle was back. Has to be the brake pads. I had the dealer change the oil last week and I noted the problem. They did a brake service, but did not replace the pads. I noticed a different brake feel as I left the dealership, so something changed. After another 200 miles or so, no rattle. Hopefully that's it for a while.

FYI, I have about 45K miles on the car (2019 Si) and replaced the front pads last fall with Hawk HPS 5.0. The OEM pads were well worn, and were rattling badly before replacement too.

Hope this helps.