BWSI

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
?hey everyone, I just bought my new si and I’m getting a clunking sound in the front driver side wheel well over minor imperfections in the road( broken pavement, lane markers). I’ve brought it to Honda twice and they said it’s normal. I don’t think it’s normal to hear metal on metal. The first time they said it was the brakes not being properly lubed, but this didn’t cure the problem? Anyone else hearing this?
Sponsored

Last edited:

trentcofax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I have had that noise in the last 3 different Hondas I have owned, including my current Si. I assume it is normal, like brake pad noise since they technically float next to the rotors. I have no idea if that is true, but is seemingly the only common factor between an s2000, '15 civic ex-l and the '17 Si.

OP
OP
BWSI

BWSI

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
Yes,

Here’s a link to you tube. It was too big to post directly
It’s hard to hear, but it’s definately a metal against metal sound. It does not make the sound on the passenger side

Blacklude4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Prelude VTEC, 1990 Civic EX hatch, 2018 civic Si coupe
Country flag
Hard to tell from a video. That being said my car does not make any noise resembling that.
A couple times on my older cars after a lot of miles the outside metal sleeve on one of the shocks would come loose. They would slide down and then make a very similar noise as it clanked around inside the spring.

OP
OP
BWSI

BWSI

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
Hard to tell from a video. That being said my car does not make any noise resembling that.
A couple times on my older cars after a lot of miles the outside metal sleeve on one of the shocks would come loose. They would slide down and then make a very similar noise as it clanked around inside the spring.
I don’t think it’s the shock, because it doesn’t happen over speed bumps or dips, it’s only over small abrupt imperfections in the road or lane markers

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
If those are road markers, I "think" it's normal. My car makes the exact same noise. I've traced it down to the the jounce bumper on the strut. The sudden compression "taps" the bumper which is very close to the strut housing itself. It's designed to reduce body roll but allow free travel up to 5-10 mm or so. If you load the passenger side, it "might" make the same noise.

You'll probably only hear it under high speed damping. #20 on the image below:

Honda Civic 10th gen Clunking noise front driver side wheel well upload_2017-12-10_19-25-7

Last edited:
OP
OP
BWSI

BWSI

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
If those are road markers, I "think" it's normal. My car makes the exact same noise. I've traced it down to the the jounce bumper on the strut. The sudden compression "taps" the bumper which is very close to the strut housing itself. It's designed to reduce body roll but allow free travel up to 5-10 mm or so. If you load the passenger side, it "might" make the same noise.

You'll probably only hear it under high speed damping. #20 on the image below:

upload_2017-12-10_19-25-7.png
Just checked it again. I hear it, at Low (below 10mph and high speeds (above 40) I noticed The sound doesn’t occur under braking though, so I’m wondering if it’s the brakes?

Thank you everyone for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Sorry should have clarified. High speed damping refers to quick, sudden movements of the strut piston. If the noise disappears under moderate braking, it could be simply because the strut is already compressed under the weight transfer. I'll check on my commute home under light braking.

OP
OP
BWSI

BWSI

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
Sorry should have clarified. High speed damping refers to quick, sudden movements of the strut piston. If the noise disappears under moderate braking, it could be simply because the strut is already compressed under the weight transfer. I'll check on my commute home under light braking.
I just took my car back to the dealer and drove with the tech. He told me he has had 3 cars in the last few weeks come in with the same problem. He said it is definitely the bakes, stating a flaw in the design. He said that there is no fix yet, but Honda is aware of it and fix should be coming out, he just doesn’t know when. Most importantly he said it’s not a safety issue, it’s just more annoying. I am going to complain to Honda about this and anyone having this problem should as well so we get a fix ASAP

Honda Civic 10th gen Clunking noise front driver side wheel well 3FB2619A-3D58-4F9A-B441-815295F4B11A

childishthing

Chief Hamster Wrangler
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si (sold), 2018 Civic Type R (sold), 2020 Civic Si (current)
Country flag
Appreciate the updates to this thread. I'll be sure to check in if this becomes an issue for me.

jweb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si Sedan
Country flag
I don't have this issue on my '17 Si but my wife's '14 RDX just had both front rotors and pads replaced because of a service bulletin regarding brake squeal and now her RDX has the same clunking noise from the front driver's side wheel over minor imperfections in the road, not under braking.