Michael90

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Hi everyone. I have a 2017 Civic EX. 30k miles. A few weeks ago I had begun hearing the infamous drivers side front clunking noise when going over bumps in the road. There was no accident or anything I can remember that would have damaged anything going back to a few weeks earlier. This seemingly began out of nowhere. It is VERY bad at times when going over bigger imperfections, to the point where the car is no longer enjoyable to drive by me and I feel as if I have to be very careful with how fast I go, etc. The sound is definitely coming from something inside the driver side wheel as even when I'm in park, if I turn the steering wheel I begin hearing popping/something that sounds loose.

I've seen a few other threads about this same issue, however it seems this issue can truly be a variety of things and it doesn't seem like the easiest problem to figure out. I was told by a local mechanic friend of mine that it may very well be a worn or loose tie rod. But as far as it being worn, with a car only 2.5 years old and 30k miles, how could this be possible? I'm bringing it into Honda tomorrow, so wish me luck. But in this meantime i'm wondering if anyone can give me their two cents.

Lastly, if i DID need new tie rods in this tire, for some reason, would that be covered under warranty?? Thank you in advance.
Sponsored

Last edited:

LuisXVI

First Name
Luis Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 HONDA CIVIC EX-T (FC1) / 1996 NISSAN BLUEBIRD SSS (U13/SR18de)
Country flag
Hi everyone. I have a 2017 Civic EX. 30k miles. A few weeks ago I had begun hearing the infamous drivers side front clunking noise when going over bumps in the road. There was no accident or anything I can remember that would have damaged anything going back to a few weeks earlier. This seemingly began out of nowhere. It is VERY bad at times when going over bigger imperfections, to the point where the car is no longer enjoyable to drive by me and I feel as if I have to be very careful with how fast I go, etc. The sound is definitely coming from something inside the driver side wheel as even when I'm in park, if I turn the steering wheel I begin hearing popping/something that sounds loose.

I've seen a few other threads about this same issue, however it seems this issue can truly be a variety of things and it doesn't seem like the easiest problem to figure out. I was told by a local mechanic friend of mine that it may very well be a worn or loose tie rod. But as far as it being worn, with a car only 2.5 years old and 30k miles, how could this be possible? I'm bringing it into Honda tomorrow, so wish me luck. But in this meantime i'm wondering if anyone can give me their two cents.

Lastly, if i DID need new tie rods in this tire, for some reason, would that be covered under warranty?? Thank you in advance.

Hi Mike ‼

I've the same noisy problem with only 50K meters, I was seeking some expert mechanics that said the sound could comes from the passenger right side motor mount, 'cause it's a hydraulic mount.

Tell me please, what HONDA told u❓

OP
OP

Michael90

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
It was a bad exterior tie rod. Replaced under warranty