Clunking noise after turning car off

JCH

Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Couldn’t find anywhere about this topic, but basically after a 30 minute commute, I hear this clunking noise from I think the rear of the car, after shutting the engine off for about 1-2 minutes.

The sound is kinda like dropping a sewer plate/cover onto the ground. Lasts like a second and it’s gone.

The sound can be heard from both inside and outside of the car. Sorry I don’t have a video to show a sound bc I keep forgetting to capture it after my commute, but I will when I get the chance.

I can only really hear it after my commute, short drives I don’t. Is this normal?

Advertisement

OP

JCH

Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Parking brake engaging?
Definitely not the parking brake, I usually engage that before I turn the car off. This sound is more of like a metal clunking sound, I’ll try and get a video of it soon

tacthecat

Reaction score
Car(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan, '98 Civic EX Coupe 5MT (gifted 3-2020)
Country flag
Reread your original post - is it a single clunk or multiple clunks? Does it start after 1 - 2 minutes or continue for? Frequency once every couple of seconds?
If answers are multiple and continue - it sounds like the sound we get in our '12 Si when the gas tank is full or near full. Heard it occasionally since Jan '12.
How long have you had the car?

OP

JCH

Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Reread your original post - is it a single clunk or multiple clunks? Does it start after 1 - 2 minutes or continue for? Frequency once every couple of seconds?
If answers are multiple and continue - it sounds like the sound we get in our '12 Si when the gas tank is full or near full. Heard it occasionally since Jan '12.
How long have you had the car?
It’s just a single clunk, and it’s 1-2 minutes of silence after the car shuts off, then it sounds only once and is gone. I’ve had the car for almost 2 years now

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
My only guess is that it's the exhaust cooling off and contracting.

tacthecat

Reaction score
Car(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan, '98 Civic EX Coupe 5MT (gifted 3-2020)
Country flag
Agree. Wonder if it's only this vehicle or all and poster is only one to stick around for minutes after shutting down?

OP

JCH

Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
My only guess is that it's the exhaust cooling off and contracting.
Agree. Wonder if it's only this vehicle or all and poster is only one to stick around for minutes after shutting down?
I was thinking this exactly, but I’m not 100% sure.

I almost caught it on video today but I missed it by 2 seconds, i’ll keep trying :/

Zodd

First Name
david
Reaction score
Car(s)
civic sport 1.5t 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
lol this doesnt sound like exhaust cooling